New A1C results...

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I was just diagnosed in February. My A1C at diagnosis was 12. something. I just had blood work done last week and I am down to 6.6!!! I am so very proud of myself!

Also, how can I explain A1C in simple terms to someone who has no idea what I am talking about?
I am trying to share the good news with my family/friends...but I don't think I'm explaining it very well.

I just want to say a little thank you to all of you on here. This forum has taught me so much, and given me the strength to keep at it even when I don't feel like it.

Keep it up guys! :)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
how can I explain A1C in simple terms
"Every time I (or you!) eat some sugar and if it's not used up very quickly by the body, a little bit of it sticks to the red blood cells. An HbA1c counts how many of your red blood cells are gummed up with sugar. Fortunately, red blood cells only live for about three months, when they are replaced, so there are new ones coming along all the time. In this way, the doctors can see how much un-needed sugar I have eaten in the past three months."
Quite a complicated idea at first, hope this helps.
Sally

Reactions: Prem51

sasharhianna93

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Every time I (or you!) eat some sugar and if it's not used up very quickly by the body, a little bit of it sticks to the red blood cells. An HbA1c counts how many of your red blood cells are gummed up with sugar. Fortunately, red blood cells only live for about three months, when they are replaced, so there are new ones coming along all the time. In this way, the doctors can see how much un-needed sugar I have eaten in the past three months."
Quite a complicated idea at first, hope this helps.
Sally
Yes! That makes perfect sense! Thank you!

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Well done you, terrific work

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Well done @sasharhianna93 ! A great effort for a rookie! And thanks for posting your good news. Over there you all have a different way of recording your results which can cause confusion.

Forgive me for piggy-backing your thread, but I just got an important HbA1c myself today. It was 41mmol/mol or 6.8 in our money. I think you would say 5.9%? Not a great result, but I'm flying solo now with no meds. Diet and exercise from here on!