Omnitest 3

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

A while since I've posted.
Just had a letter from the surgery re changing to an omnitest 3 meter, not sure I want to do this but may have no choice!

Currently I use an accuchek compact plus. The advantage is it's all self contained has a cassette rather than fiddly strips, finger pricker built in (lancets in a drum) so I only have to carry one thing rather than 3, and no fiddly strips/lancets to fit or dispose of whilst out and about

Now I'm out and about a lot, walking mostly, the compact plus is just so convenient, fits into a pocket, click and read without "setting" the thing up.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi Richard f I was using a accu chek mobile for a number of years then told by surgery I had to change to a gluco LX nexus as lancets drum and cassettes were to dear for mobile did explain mobile was easier to use but to no avail as they give the gluco Rx out at surgery so I know how you feel good luck with everything in the future.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I'll speak to the Doc tomorrow.
My fall back position is buy my own cartridges (£47 for 100 tests) and just use the mobile when walking so a cartridge would probably last 5-6 weeks

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Where i work the rules from the ccg are you can have any strips under £10 for 50 or buy your own. This at least allows patients to have a choice of meters as there are several in the under £10 category - truyou, wavesense jazz, glucorx, caresens etc

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Standardising stuff does make sense, it'd be nice to be able to pay the extra to "upgrade" but I'm thinking it'd make the system far too complicated. I suppose if I use a std meter at home and pay for a more convenient meter to use while out and and about then that amounts to the same thing.

If the idea is to get the test strips at a reasonable price (and why not) then it'll pressurise the manufacturers to bring prices down.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where i work the rules from the ccg are you can have any strips under £10 for 50 or buy your own. This at least allows patients to have a choice of meters as there are several in the under £10 category - truyou, wavesense jazz, glucorx, caresens etc

Out of interest I've just looked it up at my CCG and they did start switching patients to the above meters a few years ago but it clearly states that this doesn't apply to anyone with Type 1 or children. Postcode lottery?

Have a search on the Internet for your local CCG and their stance on test strips @Richard F, it may be similar?

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I've taken a look, it doesn't bring anything up. Do you have a link?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which is your local CCG?

I found mine via Google which took me to this website which had a response to a freedom of information request from my local CCG on.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Result, argued my case, doc put me back on the accu chek mobile.

BrianInMidlands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Result RIchard - my previous GP changed my meter from the OneTouch Ultra to the MyLife Pura for cost purposes. I used it for a couple of years but it was quite fiddly.
Now I've switched to the Mobile and my (new) surgery's DSN was "pursuaded" to put these on repeat prescription - she was a bit unwilling but it was her last day !

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get test strips provided by my insurance. But I can buy them in bulk online at diabeteswarehouse for 20 cents each. Meters and lancets basically free. And Walmart has strips for even less, like $18 for 100.