moderation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugar2

Another one who thinks Ken and Sue to a great job. I got "monitored" onc" for having 2 logins....but the monitor was polite, and so was i, and I seem to remember that the little exchange ended well..and probably with a joke.

I love the fact the Sue edited that post as a joke...diabetes is a serious subject, but if we have fun whilst learning and helping each other. that, in my mind is great.

viv1969

Interesting discussion to be sure.

I would like to add that I understand other members' concerns regarding the anonimity of Moderators, and feel that they are correct to voice thier concerns regarding the complaints prceedure. As I understand it, if I have an issue with another ordinary member, I would report this to a Moderator. However, what if this anonymous Moderator is indeed the very member I am making a complaint about? Surely Admin, you don't want every issue bounced squarely at your feet from the very beginning?

I understand that Admin is the place to go if a complaint is about a Moderator, but can you see the possibility of the above?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
viv1969 said:
Interesting discussion to be sure.

I would like to add that I understand other members' concerns regarding the anonimity of Moderators, and feel that they are correct to voice thier concerns regarding the complaints prceedure. As I understand it, if I have an issue with another ordinary member, I would report this to a Moderator. However, what if this anonymous Moderator is indeed the very member I am making a complaint about? Surely Admin, you don't want every issue bounced squarely at your feet from the very beginning?

I understand that Admin is the place to go if a complaint is about a Moderator, but can you see the possibility of the above?

Viv.
To clarify what is the present position regarding any problems. This procedure is set out in the Forum Rules which each member should be conversant with. These rules have been in place for some time.

Moderator's do NOT post answers to any posts. They moderate the Forum in accordance with the current rules decided on by the Administrator. They do NOT communicate with Member's. They remain anonymous for the reasons previously given. That is the system at present. If the Administrator wishes the rules to be relaxed or changed that is his decision. The ALMOST zero tolerance policy has been relaxed, contrary to what some members think. It is also something that changes as the Forum evolves, however certain things will always be contrary to Forum rules and they will be dealt with. Check out my signature........never was a statement so true.

If a member has a problem with a moderating decision then that member should communicate with a Forum Monitor who will act as 'go between' and take it up with the Mod concerned. If an explanation can be given, then that is what will happen. This will be communicated to the member by the Monitor. The decision of both Moderator's and Monitor's is final as regards the action taken.

If the member is still not satisfied, then they can appeal to the Administrator. He is the ultimate arbiter as to whether any complaint is upheld or not.

Forum Monitor's are here to oversee the smooth running of the Forum along with various other tasks as decided by the Administrator. We abide by those rules. Sue and I post our answers to questions as two people working together or as individual's helping out fellow Diabetic's. We have the title of Forum Monitor's and if we post as a Monitor we make it clear by posting with that title in our posts, as here. When just answering a post we call ourselves by name or in normal typeface.......not in bold.

If anyone has a complaint about a Monitor, then in the first instance it should be addressed politely to that person. If after discussion you are still not satisfied then you should address the complaint to the Administrator. He will decide if the decision stands or not.

We sometimes have been asked by the Administrator to re-consider our decisions. We give our side of things and he has the complainants views. He decides what will happen in most cases. Sometimes the decision remains ours. Those decisions, whether by the Administrator or ourselves are final.

That is what happens here, what should happen here. The rules are clear about this.

cugila
Forum Monitor

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
timo2 said:
There is, of course, a difference between the moderation of bad language and spam, and the moderation of ideas and opinions.

I think you're confusing us with another forum that you belong to......

Sugarless Sue.
Forum Monitor.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
timo2 said:
There is, of course, a difference between the moderation of bad language and spam, and the moderation of ideas and opinions.

Timo2.
As an ex Mod here and now on another 'forum' I am sure you know all about that. The moderation of ideas and opinion's doesn't take place here despite the protestations from afar........when the opinions are mis-leading or false and full of mis-information then they are challenged.

We want OUR members here to have the best all round information so that they can make their own choices on how to control their OWN Diabetes. There are many ways to lead to better control........not just 'one way.' Nobody dictates what members should do here.

cugila
Forum Monitor

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
I've read it three times now. Did I really write that?

That's awesome.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
timo2 said:
I've read it three times now. Did I really write that?

That's awesome.

It would appear some things never change! :roll:

Nigel

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It seems old antipathies don't sleep easy. I wonder, for the sake of everyone, if some hatchets could be buried?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why does anyone want to cause problems for the ones who work hard on this forum,Can those who dont agree with the way it is run just go somewhere else? Would it be possible just to ignore the backbiting and snipeing and carry on helping those of us who appreciate this forum and also the new ones who find this forum and really need the help that it provides.
Where there is no fuel the fire goes out
CAROL

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Admin:It seems old antipathies don't sleep easy. I wonder, for the sake of everyone, if some hatchets could be buried?
Carty: Where there is no fuel the fire goes out

Yes, yes yes!
I don't quite understand what has happened to a group of people mostly motivated (or am I being naive?) to find help/support/solidarity for themselves and/or to help others.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
A few comments from Dan ( admin)

This could be an endless debate, no individual is entirely unbiased. I have asked the moderators and monitors to be impassive and neutral, but of course there are human limitations to this. ,

That's the key impassive and neutral mod/mon's, this is what is needed to maintain a healthy debate disagreeing with the moderation team should not be viewed as being anti- forum.

And to the conspiracy theorists over the road, where did you learn?

On this forum of course, but the knowledgeable members that helped me gain control through a Low Carb diet are no longer posting here depriving others of their experience, and I'm not just talking about banned members.

I am always in favour of laissez-faire moderation that does not stifle debate, and I also believe that the 'rules' of this forum are only established as a benchmark to protect against abuse, and do not need to always be followed to the letter.

Totally agree with this statement.

It seems old antipathies don't sleep easy. I wonder, for the sake of everyone, if some hatchets could be buried?

That's a tough call and unlikely given the differences between the different factions, but with a bit more freedom to post without over zealous moderation who knows, miracles can happen but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation

Another couple of points from this thread.

The rules were also changed to an ALMOST zero tolerance of abuse and criticism of Mods and Monitors......That is where we are today.

I agree with the abuse point, but nobody is above criticism to suggest this is saying that Mods and Monitors are beyond reproach and can do no wrong this is not the case nobody is perfect.

And this by Timo 2 who makes a fair comment

There is, of course, a difference between the moderation of bad language and spam, and the moderation of ideas and opinions

Graham

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
im·pas·sive
adj.
1. Devoid of or not subject to emotion.
2. Revealing no emotion; expressionless.
3. Archaic Incapable of physical sensation.
4. Motionless; still.

If we were devoid of emotion we would not be here. After all we are sorted so why should we bother?
If we revealed no emotion then we could not empathise with members and help them when they are confused and lonely, bewildered by a new diagnosis.

Impartial would be the word to use and that is what we are, no matter what others think we know that we are doing the right thing for this forum.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
graham64 said:
On this forum of course, but the knowledgeable members that helped me gain control through a Low Carb diet are no longer posting here depriving others of their experience, and I'm not just talking about banned members.

The members that left here when the LC forum started left of their own choice. They chose to stay away because they had other things to do. I remember Trink when he was asked why he didn't post here any more......he stated that he had more pressing things to do. Many members choose to go or stay, their choice. They are free to do what they wish. We have many who low carb or reduce carb in one form or another. If they choose to deprive others of their experiences......that is a matter for them to consider.

I am always in favour of laissez-faire moderation that does not stifle debate, and I also believe that the 'rules' of this forum are only established as a benchmark to protect against abuse, and do not need to always be followed to the letter.

Totally agree with this statement.

So do we.........NOBODY follows the rules to the letter. Discretion is always used.

That's a tough call and unlikely given the differences between the different factions, but with a bit more freedom to post without over zealous moderation who knows, miracles can happen but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation

Over zealous moderation........not true. The fact that some members don't like being moderated is no reason to call anything over zealous. In my mind it is more a case of someone who just doesn't like any rules, thinks that they can say and do what they like. Not the case on any well run forum......just the ones whose standards are set lower.

Another couple of points from this thread.

The rules were also changed to an ALMOST zero tolerance of abuse and criticism of Mods and Monitors......That is where we are today.

I agree with the abuse point, but nobody is above criticism to suggest this is saying that Mods and Monitors are beyond reproach and can do no wrong this is not the case nobody is perfect.

Graham

I agree nobody is perfect......as Monitor's we take the flak, the rough with the smooth. You mistake the word criticism as meaning nobody can tell us we are doing something wrong. Not so. What it means is the sort of vitriolic attacks that have taken place in pm's, even on the board which is usually swiftly removed. Sarcastic remarks in pm's from Admin members of other Fora......seeking to undermine us. Many members never see it but we do. Is that what you want allowed here ? Criticism is of varying degrees .......we will not take the sort of criticism that I have described from anybody. Whoever they are.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear :( - any chance we can get anywhere near a resolution? - all this is quite disconcerting and a friend of mine I directed here last week spoke to me today and said - "I had a look and its looks good for info but I think I'll leave it! :( - hope too many new readers aren't getting put off.

It seems we are just going round in circles and getting nowhere - or am I wrong?

C

catherinecherub

No lovinglife you are right.
The more this thread continues then the more it exposes hidden agendas. Perhaps the OP would like to comment if the topic is progressing as she expected it to or would she agree that it is going nowhere to the detriment of the forum and it's members?
New members who are oblivious to forum history must be very bewildered when they read this thread.

anniep

I have directed a newly diagnosed friend to this forum because it was a sensible one, where she wouldn't get biased advice.

If it takes what others may see as heavy moderation to maintain that, then that is fine by me, this thread is just showing up how easy it is for things to get out of hand. I am a new member so didn't experience what you are refering to in the past, but this here is enough to show that the monitering and moderation that some don't like, are keeping things on the right track.

So I say can we just get back to the way things were please?

Talos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
This thread is going NOWHERE
please
BURY IT

cugila

Master
Dislikes
We agree that this thread could have been a useful exercise. Unfortunately it has now reverted back to point scoring and 'sour grapes' from those who usually post on their own Fora. They were previously kept in check and so resorted to ridiculing both myself, Sue and this Forum elsewhere.
We have ignored such things for some time now, however without moderation here that would quickly become the 'norm' here.......

We would like to put an end to this ........this is now in the hands of the Administrator. His decision.

cugila and sugarless sue
Forum Monitor's

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My only request would be that if a Mod needs to remove or alter a post the OP should be told why. It is silly to be left wondering if the Mod pulled your post or you didn't submit the post properly in the first place. What if you retype the same thing not knowing that it wasn't allowed or which part was considered out-of-bounds?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Jen&Khaleb said:
My only request would be that if a Mod needs to remove or alter a post the OP should be told why. It is silly to be left wondering if the Mod pulled your post or you didn't submit the post properly in the first place. What if you retype the same thing not knowing that it wasn't allowed or which part was considered out-of-bounds?

Jen.
We DO notify members. We DO explain reasons. Once in a while when we are very busy checking out ALL the posts made here it can happen that we have forgotten. Not deliberate despite some of the comments made here and elsewhere.

A particular member once made great play of the fact that his post was merged with another thread.......he complained bitterly even after the reasons were explained. He complained to Admin. The complaint was not upheld. End of .........

The only people who are never informed are spammers. Something that has taken place here for a very long time.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.