SIGNS OF DIABETIC MACULOPATHY

mikeyg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Friends
Need your advice. I am type 11, diagnosed last year, had eye screening last July with good result, but a yearly screening this month generated a letter saying " Your results showed signs of diabetic maculopathy that needs to be checked further " and I will be checked again in a month with more regular checks in future. My blood sugar levels are relatively good, self monitor blood sugars, am on low carb diet, exercising, six monthly diabetic checks. Naturally I am worried, any useful advice you can give me. After my visit to the screening, I will of course see my GP again. I am on 1 x 500mg metformin

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
the good news is that there is treatment available for maculopathy.
realistically you have to wait until you are seen by a consultant to know the extent of the maculopathy.

the not so good news is that the treatment is injections into the eye using one of 3 drugs.
avastin , lucentis , or Lucea.
but this treatment has had very good results.

do let us know how you get on with the consultant.

Dark Horse

Dear Friends
Need your advice. I am type 11, diagnosed last year, had eye screening last July with good result, but a yearly screening this month generated a letter saying " Your results showed signs of diabetic maculopathy that needs to be checked further " and I will be checked again in a month with more regular checks in future. My blood sugar levels are relatively good, self monitor blood sugars, am on low carb diet, exercising, six monthly diabetic checks. Naturally I am worried, any useful advice you can give me. After my visit to the screening, I will of course see my GP again. I am on 1 x 500mg metformin
Were you referred to the hospital eye service or for more frequent monitoring within the Screening Programme? Recently the Diabetic Eye Screening Programme has introduced "digital surveillance" for people who have some minor changes which need to be monitored more frequently so that if there is any progression to potentially sight-threatening retinopathy, the patient can be referred to hospital earlier than they would be if they had annual screening. Even when referred to hospital the changes may not be "clinically significant" and may not require treatment. As already mentioned, treatment is available if needed which may be injections into the eye or gentle laser. Meanwhile, the best way to prevent progression is to have good blood glucose control, good blood pressure control and a good blood lipid profile.

Reactions: 2 people

mikeyg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Were you referred to the hospital eye service or for more frequent monitoring within the Screening Programme? Recently the Diabetic Eye Screening Programme has introduced "digital surveillance" for people who have some minor changes which need to be monitored more frequently so that if there is any progression to potentially sight-threatening retinopathy, the patient can be referred to hospital earlier than they would be if they had annual screening. Even when referred to hospital the changes may not be "clinically significant" and may not require treatment. As already mentioned, treatment is available if needed which may be injections into the eye or gentle laser. Meanwhile, the best way to prevent progression is to have good blood glucose control, good blood pressure control and a good blood lipid profile.

I was referred to more frequent monitoring within the Screening Programme. Many thanks this is very helpful

Dark Horse

I was referred to more frequent monitoring within the Screening Programme. Many thanks this is very helpful
Just to add, from digital surveillance, patients may
  • be referred to hospital if there appears to be progression - further tests would be needed to show if this is the case
  • remain in digital surveillance for more frequent monitoring
  • be returned to annual screening if the changes resolve or are found to be a "false alarm"

Reactions: 2 people

mikeyg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to add, from digital surveillance, patients may
  • be referred to hospital if there appears to be progression - further tests would be needed to show if this is the case
  • remain in digital surveillance for more frequent monitoring
  • be returned to annual screening if the changes resolve or are found to be a "false alarm"
Thanks again

caulfiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists, Marmite and Gurkins.
Thanks for the information on this, like Mikeyg my average blood sugar is good and I exercise and keep on a low carb/sugar diet so I was surprised to get a a letter to follow up with a clinician at my local hospital to check for Maculopathy. Not until October but all I can do is keep on working on my sugar levels and staying fit I guess. Good luck with that Mikey.

40djbrooks

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you need injections, do not worry it is not as bad as you think it is, I have had several and the results are good, you don't feel any pain when they do it, all the best.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have a letter from my diabetic eye screening appointment from August 2016. My test result showed signs of diabetic maculopathy and I am shocked about this. Notes from my screening states :- Ms ***** has an area of exudate superior to her L fovea.
I know they have found out something is wrong and it can be treated, but still :( I had a detached retina 3 years ago and operated on, so it's a bit of a worry, our eyes and vision are so important.
Good luck @mikeyg and anyone else going through the same, take care.

Dark Horse

I have a letter from my diabetic eye screening appointment from August 2016. My test result showed signs of diabetic maculopathy and I am shocked about this. Notes from my screening states :- Ms ***** has an area of exudate superior to her L fovea.
I know they have found out something is wrong and it can be treated, but still :( I had a detached retina 3 years ago and operated on, so it's a bit of a worry, our eyes and vision are so important.
Good luck @mikeyg and anyone else going through the same, take care.
Even if exudate has been found, it may not be clinically significant and may not need treatment. It might also improve before your next appointment so try not to worry too much - only worry enough to keep working at good control and to make sure you attend your follow-up appointments.

siah

hi mikeyg,

any update after that ? I got the same kind of letter recently. I am confused whether i should continue the low carb diet or go back to normal diet.

mikeyg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi mikeyg,

any update after that ? I got the same kind of letter recently. I am confused whether i should continue the low carb diet or go back to normal diet.
********************************************************************************************
Dear Siah

Last year I had the warning letter as I said, and they called me back for a re screening in August 2016 and they told me that it was a false alarm and I was fine. However as I was worried I had really concentrated on the low carb diet and a reasonable amount of walking after meals every day. I have just gone for my yearly screening this week so fingers crossed.

However in my yearly visit to my diabetes nurse recently I got commended for my good results. So I can really recommend the low carb diet. I am not perfect, I fall off the wagon regularly, as I have a beer or two every day and carbs creep in regularly. But as I am generally low carb I am healthier in general. I feel fitter , have lost weight and am fit for my age - 59. Many of my friends are in the same position - middle aged, diagnosed as diabetic in their mid fifties, and they are all doing the low carb shuffle. By the way I had a healthy lifestyle until I was diagnosed as type 2. Both my mum and gran were diabetics, so I had it coming my way. Once you get into low carb habits it becomes easier. And it is a LOW carb diet, not NO carb.

Good luck

siah

Thanks for your reply Mikeyg.

Good Luck for your next report.
I have no other option than wait for a month and see.