Portion Sizes Info.

sashton2000

My Mum has been diabetic for over 26 years and she has started having hypos where she falls asleep on the settee for at least 7 hours, having eaten her dinner and not done much else. She has contacted her diabetic nurse who has told her to eat more carbs! At the age of 79 she is not into pasta/pizza only her meat and two veg and a soup at lunchtime. Any good website suggestions?
Also, how can I get her to see what an average meal should look like as I feel her portions are too small.

C

catherinecherub

I am bumping your post up in the hope that a Type 1 will see it and advice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your mum shouldn't be going hypo after eating as this can be potentially life threatening, so she needs to reduce her insulin doses to stop this happening. Is your mum on MDI routine, meaning does she inject quick acting insulin prior to eating?....if so she needs to reduce the amount of insulin she is injecting rather than increase her carbs, this should stop or reduce her episodes of hypoglycemia.

Encourage your mum to test her bg regularly prior to eating and then afterwards to establish what her blood glucose levels are at, record them in a diary and should your mum continue to hypo try reducing her insulin by 1-2 units to see if this stops the hypo's and keep her bg with range. Ask for her diabetes nurse to get involved more and explain that she doesn't want to eat more carbs and perhaps a reduction in insulin is the best way forward, get the nurse to examine your mum's blood glucose reading and advise on where the reductions need to take place. Also ask the nurse to try and work out a insulin/carb ratio for your mum so she may in future give the correct amount of insulin to the carbs she eats.

Nigel

hismom

hi,
if its any help we have been told 60 grams of carbs with meat(protein) and vegetables/salad.

steph