Hypo?

Bobbin_Lace

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed about one and a half months ago as type 2. I'm on 2 different tablets to control or attempt to reduce my levels. At first they were always in the 20's highest 28.5. Today went to work felt poorly suddenly started to sweat and shake only a little levels 4.3. Eat some jelly babies and felt better. Blood sugar went up to 8.8 now 5.4 before my meal. Left with a headache and feeling a bit yuk. Is this normal, did I have a slight hypo? The last week or two my levels have been between 6 and 10. Would appreciate some reassurance please, did I have a hypo, did I do the right thing, is the headache normal? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: kokhongw

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I'll start with "you did the right thing", probably.

Although technically BG has to be below 4 to call it a hypo, that is irrelevant when you have been having quite high BG and then it goes low. Under the circumstances it's my opinion you did the right thing. Without knowing exactly what meds you've been prescribed I can only guess that one of them is something like gliclazide which helps the pancreas produce more insulin and it's that which puts you at risk from having a hypo if for example you do not have regular meals.

Although I think the DVLA do not insist that you take your BG before driving as they do with those taking insulin, it's obviously something that you need to be aware of. What you experienced today could have been worse and while driving so do take care. There's a lot to take on board when first diagnosed, don't panic. There's plenty of members to help out.

BTW, the headache is normal, I've only experienced a few hypos, but it all sounds very familiar.

Reactions: Bobbin_Lace

Bobbin_Lace

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I'm on 2 g of metaformin and 1 alogliptin 25mg. I believe they both increase the pancreases production. My hba1c was 116. At least I know what to look for now and I've bought some glucose tablets I can carry around with me.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @Bobbin_Lace
that must have been quite scary for you !!
your BG reading would say you weren't actually hypo -- but our meters do have a plus/minus tolerance so you could have been hypo.
the headache is a completely normal post hypo symptom ( LOL -- I have had loads of these headaches over the years )

well done for getting yourself sorted -- I would certainly discuss with your health care team at next appointment.

Bobbin_Lace

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Bobbin_Lace
that must have been quite scary for you !!
your BG reading would say you weren't actually hypo -- but our meters do have a plus/minus tolerance so you could have been hypo.
the headache is a completely normal post hypo symptom ( LOL -- I have had loads of these headaches over the years )

well done for getting yourself sorted -- I would certainly discuss with your health care team at next appointment.

Thanks it was scary, but I am pleased I was able to recognise it and deal with it. Hopefully I won't have another one for awhile.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. I'm on 2 g of metaformin and 1 alogliptin 25mg. I believe they both increase the pancreases production. My hba1c was 116. At least I know what to look for now and I've bought some glucose tablets I can carry around with me.
Alogliptin will mostly cause extra insulin to be produced.
If you are now recording near normal levels, it is now time to discuss dosage with your GP.
You have done well getting your blood glucose levels down.
An adjustment in your diet, meds and how much exercise you do will help you keep them there.
It could be that coming off the drug is possible if you continue your good readings.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi, I was diagnosed about one and a half months ago as type 2. I'm on 2 different tablets to control or attempt to reduce my levels. At first they were always in the 20's highest 28.5. Today went to work felt poorly suddenly started to sweat and shake only a little levels 4.3. Eat some jelly babies and felt better. Blood sugar went up to 8.8 now 5.4 before my meal. Left with a headache and feeling a bit yuk. Is this normal, did I have a slight hypo? The last week or two my levels have been between 6 and 10. Would appreciate some reassurance please, did I have a hypo, did I do the right thing, is the headache normal? Thanks in advance.
The first hypo is always a shock. You handled it well. Know you are ready to face the next one. Try to keep your bgl's below 7.5 and above 4.9. It isn't easy but give it an effort. Keep us informed of your progress. Good luck.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
I know my T1 feels hypo if her BG has dropped rapidly even if she stays above 4 - maybe that happened to you?