Post Your Recipes Here!

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Re: Recipes.

Here, for Helen who asked for help with some low carb soup recipes, is the first one I've been using.
This is a great soup to make as it can be eaten as a main dish, as a prelude to a meal or as a snack. You can use virtually any vegetables you have knocking around. For the leek, cut off and discard most of the coarse green ends of the leaves, then cut away the roots and clean the leek. This is the authentic Italian recipe.

Minestrone
3 tbs olive oil
1 leek, thinly sliced
selection of root vegetables, such as celeriac, turnip, swede, a small potato, butternut squash,etc. cut into 1 cm cubes
2 sticks of celery
2 carrots
2 tbs of chopped celery leaves
1tsp dried oregano
50 gms frozen peas
a good handful of string beans, sliced into 2 cm lengths
the same quantity of broad beans and/or flageolets
1 425 gm can of tomatoes
1 425 gm can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Heat the oil in a heavy based pan, then reduce the heat and add the leek. Cover and let the leek slices sweat down, stirring occasionally. Do not allow them to brown.
When the leeks are wilted, add the root vegetables to the pan, increase the heat a little and cover, stirring from time to time, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes then add enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring back to the boil, season with salt and pepper, add the celery leaves and oregano and boil until the root vegetables are almost cooked. Add the peas, beans and the kidney beans. Continue to simmer until all the vegetables are cooked.
Serve sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese.
I'll add some more tomorrow - just off to the cinema to see Avatar now.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Any idea of the carb count on that one Bill....? Doesn't seem very low carb to me.....? :?

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Well, Cugila, you gave me pause for thought there as this is one of those recipes that depends on what's in the fridge and/or the vegetable basket. However, according to the Collins Calorie Counter, the carbs for individual veggies are as follows: Broad beans 11; String beans 2.9; Carrots 4.9; Celeriac 1.9; Celery 0.8; Leeks 10.6; Peas 9.7; Potato17; Pumpkin 2.1; Butternut squash 1.6; Swede 2.3; Turnip 2-0; Tomatoes 3.1.
Now bear in mind I never use all of these at any one time as it depends, as stated, on what's available in the kitchen. And this recipe, using only part of the possible ingredients, would serve 6 to 8 people, while using all of them would give you healthy-sized servings for at least 10, so the amount of carb per individual portion would not be that high. It doesn't have much effect on my BG levels anyway and I make it fairly regularly in the winter, with a pot lasting my wife and me at least 4 days.
And now a soup recipe about which there is no doubt - the carb count is extremely low. I use eggs to thicken the soup.

Celery soup
1 head of celery, coarsely chopped
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
half a teaspoon of oregano
500 ml vegetable stock
500 ml milk
2 eggs
120 ml single cream
Salt and pepper
Put the celery, onion, milk and the stock into a large, heavy-based pan and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the oregano. Cook until the celery is tender, about 15 minutes, then give the mixture a good whizz in a liquidizer. Return to the pan, beat the cream and the eggs together, and whisk into the celery mixture a little at a time. Heat the soup, whisking all the time, until sauce is thickened and the first bubbles begin to appear, then remove from the heat, season with the salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Thanks for that Bill. I still think it's fairly high carbs, not at all what I would consider low. It works out at around 17g carbs per 200 mil portion. I can have a tin of Heinz Tomato Soup which only has 13.3g carbs......and I don't have to chop anything up.... :D

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Ah, but do you know exactly what's in it? :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes

BillB said:
Ah, but do you know exactly what's in it? :)

Well I haven't been poisoned yet.... :D To me it's not just the ingredients it has to also be the total carb count. I make my own soups too, with lots of chunky LOW CARB veg, works out around 6g carbs per 100 mil.

Cheers anyway. :wink:

kukka

hi i found this forum from looking for recipes for diabtic christmas cake and pud

i havent been able to read back through all the recipes as i have M.E/CFS and lots of words together make me unwell and dizzy

if possible can someone tel me if there is a recipe for these and on which page so i can look mre easily?

thank yu very much xxx

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Re:Tomato and basil Soup

Tomato and basil soup

Finely chop 1 onion, 1 carrot, and 1 stick of celery and soften in olive oil/butter/coconut oil – whichever you prefer. Cook very gently with lid on pan for about 10 minutes.
Add 2 tins of tomatoes and 1 small tin (or equivalent) of tomato puree – whatever you have.
Add seasoning – salt, pepper, dried basil or torn up fresh basil, 1 teaspoon of sugar or equivalent sweetener.
Add 2 pints of stock or water and bring to boil and then simmer gently for 20 minutes.

When cooked carefully put through liquidiser. (Hot liquid is painful!)
Check seasoning, return to pan and gently bring back to heat.

Stir in 3-4 tablespoons of cream or to taste – Optional

Serve and enjoy! :D

Delicious and not at all expensive! 8)

Synonym

Dislikes

Butternut Squash Soup

6 servings (Really lovely flavour.)
Approx 7 carbs each serving

3 small butternut squashes (1.6Kg or 3½lb total weight)
About 2 tblsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 oz butter
1 large onion roughly chopped
2 large carrots
2 large celery sticks, sliced
1" piece fresh root ginger, grated
2¼ pints veg or chicken stock
Sprig of fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary

1. Cut the butternut squashes in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds with a metal spoon and discard. Arrange the squash halves cut sides up in a roasting tin just big enough to hold them in a single layer, and drizzle over the olive oil. Season them with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour ¼ pint water around the squashes and roast (or cook in the Aga Roasting Oven on the second set of runners) for about 1 hour until tender. Allow to cool.
2. Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onion, carrot, celery and ginger. Cook on the simmering plate for 5-10 mins until beginning to soften. Add the stock rosemary and seasoning bring to the boil for about 4 mins, then cover and simmer ( or transfer to the Aga simmering oven )for about 20 mins.
3. When cool enough to handle scoop the flesh from the squash halves and add to the pan. Blend the vegetables until smooth. (Freeze at this point.)
4. Taste for seasoning and serve hot.

Enjoy :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You can make a yummie cheese sauce with the Dairylea .Melt a knob of butter in a saucepan add about 1 tsp flour heat until thick stirring well remove from heat stir in a little milk a good dollop of Dairylea and a little strong blue cheese to taste return to heat do not boil .Good on cauli or fish .CAROL

Synonym

Dislikes

Granola Topping

60g (2oz) flaked almonds
50g (1¾oz) dessicated coconut
70g (2½oz) flaxseed
60g (2oz) pecans, chopped
70g (2½oz) pumpkin seeds
70g (2½oz) sunflower seeds
2 oz walnuts, chopped
60g (2oz) butter or choice of fat
3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp sweetening – sugar substitute or own choice
Method: In a large bowl, combine almonds, coconut, almonds, coconut, flaxseed, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts.
In a small saucepan melt butter gently. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in cinnamon and vanilla essence.
Pour over the nut mixture and stir to combine. Sprinkle with sweetening and stir again.
Spread mixture on a baking tray and bake, stirring around every 5 minutes for 20- 25 minutes until lightly golden. Cool and then store in an airtight container.
(You can add whatever you like and change ingredients to taste.)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

A yummy sweet with not too many carbs serves 2 slice a large pear into an oven proof dish just cover with red wine cook in medium oven for about 20 mins or until pear is soft .For skinnies serve with whipped double cream non skinnies can use low fat alternative .grate 1 square very good quality darkchocolate over the top and dig in. CAROL

RichardNY

Dislikes
People that feel the need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. A closed mind. A Fiscal view of life. Oh and Emu he used to scare the **** out of me when I was a kid :-s

Chicken and Veg Masala.

I would be interested in how people fair with the following recipe that I throw together once or twice a week that lasts me 4 generous servings, it's fairly quick and easy to make and depending if I add the West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce usually has me at around 5.8-6.4 at the 90 minute mark (usually a low 5 reading before eating), the more Hot Pepper Sauce I add the HIGHER the reading.

Coarsely chop 1 bulb of garlic
Cut 500g of chicken (roughly 3 chicken breasts) into strips
At this point I also empty the tomatoes into a bowl and 'detop' them so no hard stalks are left

Heat olive oil in a pan ready to stir fry the garlic and chicken together

Once the chicken is browning add ½ packet of Natco Tandoori Masala (50g) and stir into the chicken as the powder thickens then add your two tins (800g) of plum tomatoes

Stir until mixed well and sauce is an even colour

At this stage you can add or omit the West Indian Sauce (start with 1 tablespoon and work your way up or down from there) it does add a lot of heat so be careful but remember the more you add the higher your reading might be.

Throw in 1kg of Frozen Special Mixed Veg stir well return to a low to medium heat cover and leave to cook for 45 mins stirring occasionally.

The ingredients are all sourced from Morrisons (as its just a throw together) :-

1kg Frozen special mixed veg (orange packet) contains peas broccoli peppers carrots and a tiny amount of sweetcorn
1 bulb of garlic
Olive oil
2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes (Value tins)
50g or half a packet of Natco Tandoori Masala (coriander, cumin, salt, paprika, chilli powder, garlic, cinnamon e121 e102 , cloves)
Encona West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce (pepper mash (habanero peppers, scotch bonnet peppers) water, acetic acid, spices, including mustard ,modified corn starch, xanthan gum)

Hopefully this is not too unhealthy, it may contain too much veg/carbs for some but for some reason gives me fair readings.

I've been contemplating omitting the veg and introducing some pork/beef and just making it an all meat 'hot stew/curry'.

Any improvements/comments as ever welcome.

All the best.

Richard.

OtiggerificO

Hey guys (and gals)!

Here's a couple of recipes I cook for my Dad, who's on an low-carb diet. I only know the basic high-carb, low-carb food groups so everything is just an 'ask Dad if he can eat that' as opposed to calculating the exact carb intake, sorry.

Venison in Ragout
(Serves about 4)

800g saddle of venison
Seasoning
Bit of oil, bit of unsalted butter
160g of unsalted butter
280g of button onions (or about 3 normal onions)
120g of bacon lardons (cut into small squares, easiest way is to use scissors)
290ml of water
60g peas
60g broad beans
1 tsp rosemary.

Heat the oil and butter in a pan, season the venison with salt and pepper then sear all sides in the pan. Cook for 10-15 mins for medium-rare and then leave to rest for 10 mins.
For the ragout, melt about 40g of the butter and the onions and cook until lightly coloured, add the bacon and brown. Pour the water in the pan until just covering the onions. Cover the pan with buttered greaseproof paper and cook until the water has reduced. Add the peas and broad beans and cook for two minutes, whisk in the rest of the butter and add the rosemary.

Bacon-wrapped Haddock
This is a recipe I found for Dad for the nights we have Kedgeree. It's not very similar but it's really easy and quick to make.
(Serves 1)

1 piece of smocked haddock (remove the skin and bones)
1 or 2 slices of bacon
1 tbsp of oil
45 ml of double cream
1 tbsp of white wine (you can leave this out if you can be bothered to open a bottle just for it)
50g peas
1 tbsp dill
Seasoning

Preheat the oven to 200C. Cut the haddock into two pieces and wrap with the bacon. Use cocktail sticks to hold the bacon in place or it breaks into pieces and goes all over the place. Heat the oil and fry the parcels for 3-4mins. Transfer the parcels to the oven and cook for 6mins.
For the sauce, add the cream and wine to a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer until the cream starts to thicken, add the peas and continue to simmer for 2mins. Season the sauce with salt and black pepper and stir in the dill.

Salmon and Crab Fishcakes (without breadcrumbs)
Again, this is a recipe I use for Dad as he can't have traditional fishcakes with breadcrumbs or potato.
(Serves 4)

500g of Salmon (pre-poached and flaked)
300g of white crab meat
300g of brown crab meat
1 tbsp mayo
Handful of chopped, fresh parsley
Handful of chopped, fresh dill
1 red chilli, finely chopped
Oil
Seasoning

Combine all the ingredients (minus the oil) in a bowl and season to taste. Shape the mix into cakes and fry for 3-4mins or until they're golden brown and crisp. Couldn't be simpler!

sue32

Dislikes
false people

Visit dietfreedom.co.uk for all sorts of GI and GL recipes. It's FAB!! :D :D :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

OtiggerificO said:
Salmon and Crab Fishcakes (without breadcrumbs)
Again, this is a recipe I use for Dad as he can't have traditional fishcakes with breadcrumbs or potato.
(Serves 4)

500g of Salmon (pre-poached and flaked)
300g of white crab meat
300g of brown crab meat
1 tbsp mayo
Handful of chopped, fresh parsley
Handful of chopped, fresh dill
1 red chilli, finely chopped
Oil
Seasoning

Combine all the ingredients (minus the oil) in a bowl and season to taste. Shape the mix into cakes and fry for 3-4mins or until they're golden brown and crisp. Couldn't be simpler!

GODDAMN!!! That sounds bl**dy lovely!!! That recipe looks like it would make a bout 10 good sized fishcakes, too...

darshanrawat

Ingredients:

* 1/4 teaspoon unsweetened orange Kool Aid drink mix
* 2/3 cup oil
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
* 3 eggs
* 2 teaspoons liquid sweetener
* 2 Tablespoons Splenda
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
* 2 Tablespoons oat flour
* 2 Tablespoons high gluten flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon orange peel
* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix Kool Aid in water. Combine oil, orange water, whipping cream, vanilla (or butter) extract, eggs and liquid sweetener. Mix well. Add Splenda, vanilla whey protein powder, oat flour, high gluten flour, orange peel and baking powder; mix until moistened well. Stir nuts into batter.

Pour into greased muffin tins (or use non-stick muffin liners.)

Bake at 350°F. for 10-15 minutes, keeping an eye on them so as not to over-bake. Cool at least 5 minutes before removing from pan or liners.

Makes 12 muffins. 3 grams net carbs per muffin

Katharine

Carb lite is back online

The low carb recipe site Carb lite is up and running again. Tony Blakemore, the chef who runs it, was ill for over a year from complications from his diabetes and it lapsed. He is back fit and well and the site is bigger and better than ever. Tony would be very happy to have your favourite recipes to include on the site.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My Ratatouille - dead simple

1 courgette
1 onion
1 tin of chopped toms
1-2 sweeteners (I use hermesetas)

Slice the courgette and soften in a saucepan with with some butter or a little water.
Add the onion and soften without browning.
Add the tin of toms and sweeteners and cook until all is tender.

Yummy as a side dish or I enjoy it on it's own.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My Chicken Curry Recipe

Tomato gravy

1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
5 cardamon pods
5 garlic cloves - sliced
1” ginger (equal amount to garlic in size) - sliced
1 red chilli – de-seeded and sliced
1 med onion sliced

Everything else!

Oil – not olive
300-400g chicken
2 green chillies – de-seeded and sliced (large mild type)
5 – 10 green bird eye chillies – whole but pierced through with a sharp knife
1 green pepper – de-seeded and cubed
2 tins of chpd tomatoes
½ bag baby spinach
Block of creamed coconut

Method

Fry green pepper in oil on a medium heat until brown on edges. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add the spices to the pan and fry for a few seconds. Add the onions, red chilli and ginger and fry till the onion is translucent stirring constantly so as not to burn the spices. Add the garlic and fry for another minute.

Add 1 tin of tomatoes and continue to cook for another 5 mins or until the onion is soft. Put in a blender and add another tin of tomatoes and blitz (liquidise) all. Season.

Add a little oil to the pan and add the green bird eye chillis and the green sliced large chillies and fry for a minute. Add tomato gravy above.

Add chicken and a tomato tin full of cold water and cook for at least 1 hour. Adjust seasoning.

5 mins before serving add cooked green peppers, half a bag of baby spinach and creamed coconut to taste.

This makes a medium/hot curry, adjust chillies to taste.