How can I put on weight without spiking my bg?

Cal M

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2, since Dec. 2016. Rather too successful with LCHF diet. Now need to stop loosing weight. Don't like nuts but any other ideas welcome using Chronometer app which says I am getting 85 to 95 percent of my daily calories OK.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2, since Dec. 2016. Rather too successful with LCHF diet. Now need to stop loosing weight. Don't like nuts but any other ideas welcome using Chronometer app which says I am getting 85 to 95 percent of my daily calories OK.

Hello there Cal M.

Following an op, I ended up need to gain a few kilos. Like you. I low carb, so didn't just want to up the carbs. What I did was started by firstly, just eating a bit more of everything, and fortunately, the increased portions didn't elevate my bloods. When that didn't quite do the trick, I then concentrated on increasing the amount of fat I ate, plus a bit more protein.

It was a slow job and took a few months get a couple of kilos on, so don't necessarily expect anything quick.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in your position in 2014. As @DCUKMod said, it takes time to find the right balance. I went back to basics and started weighing fats again so I could increase them sensibly. I had never eaten cheese before so added that to my menu. I increased the number of eggs I ate, increased my mayo on salads (don't like olive oil) and increased my butter. I also returned to an old habit of a glass of red wine each evening. I just weighed and counted untuil I had the right balance to stop losing and to maintain. I got there and have maintained ever since. I actually reduced my carbs. I had no intention of increasing them. So this only leaves fats and protein. Eat to both your meter and your scales.

For anyone else approaching this situatioin, my advice is to plan well before you need to start!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Red wine with blue cheese ,Red wine with a square of very dark choc .butter on veg ,full fat yoghurt and Jersey double cream
CAROL

D

Deleted member 308541

I went below my target weight of 90 Kg, and I am starting slowly regaining from 85.7 Kg to 86.9 Kg.

I have been eating more portions of meat and chook, three egg omelette for breakfast every day with different fillings in them with a fair bit of grated cheese in the mix. Veggies have a good splash of olive oil on them.

Full fat Greek yoghurt is a great favourite for dessert, I do not put cream in it though as I do not like it.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Wondering yet again what too low a weight is.

Your main variable weight is muscle and fat.

As long as you are eating sufficient protein and exercising then you should be able to maintain your muscle mass, although as you lose fat you need less muscle to move the lighter you around.

So the biggest variable is probably fat.

Now it is good to have some fat reserves. They are useful especially if you have an unplanned event such as a stay in hospital.

So by fairly dodgy reasoning your weight target seems to be mainly how much spare fat you want to carry.

@Tipetoo your target of 90kg seems a bit high unless you are very tall. Dodgy maths suggests 198 lbs or 14 stone 2 lbs. How did you pick this target?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo your target of 90kg seems a bit high unless you are very tall. Dodgy maths suggests 198 lbs or 14 stone 2 lbs. How did you pick this target?

Three years ago I weighed 102 Kg I got this down to 96 Kg with a BMI of 25.5, where my DE said that I could lose a bit more but not really needed as I am big built so I am not technically overweight / obese.

So I aimed for 90 kg as my target which the DE agreed, this is why.

I put this here just in case you missed it in my sig. 194 cm / 86.9 kgs = BMI of 23.1

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Three years ago I weighed 102 Kg I got this down to 96 Kg with a BMI of 25.5, where my DE said that I could lose a bit more but not really needed as I am big built so I am not technically overweight / obese.

So I aimed for 90 kg as my target which the DE agreed, this is why.

I put this here just in case you missed it in my sig. 194 cm / 86.9 kgs = BMI of 23.1

Confused as usual, can't see your Sig.
Ah!
I'm using a tablet in portrait and the web site hides a lot of stuff.

There is one theory that says you should aim for the mid point of the normal BMI range.
Being near the next category up or down can increase your risk.
Shades of grey and all that.
The difference between BMI of 24.9 and 25.1 isn't a massive amount so there may be some sense in shooting for the mid range.

I struggle to see that someone is too light if they are above median normal BMI but it is what makes you feel comfortable.

I think the most important thing is that your waist measurement is no more than half your height.

D

Deleted member 308541

I struggle to see that someone is too light if they are above median normal BMI but it is what makes you feel comfortable.
At 90 Kg give or take a Kg, I can comfortably wear my reasonably new Levi's with a 102 Cm waist with out looking like a tied up sack of spuds.

My GP is happy, my Diabetic Educator is happy. I am happy with what I am doing.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
At 90 Kg give or take a Kg, I can comfortably wear my reasonably new Levi's with a 102 Cm waist with out looking like a tied up sack of spuds.

My GP is happy, my Diabetic Educator is happy. I am happy with what I am doing.

Please note that I am not getting at you.
I picked you to ask about weight targets because you had quoted some numbers.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...

Hi, I suggest eating more calories with no carbs. Sometimes different brands of the same foods have higher calories, you would need to check the labels carefully, or do some online research before you shop. Peanuts, cream and cheese all have calories, bacon and eggs, pork scratchings etc. Have you tried several smaller meals throughout the day, so breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, snack, tea and supper? I'm just thinking back to when I was diagnosed and was underweight, I could eat all of those "free" (with no insulin). Maybe something nice for supper as you don't exercise after that? hope this helps :)

Cal M

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all your helpful comments. I have started on increasing portions gradually. I liked the wine and cheese suggestions, love cheese but not red wine drinker yet perhaps I should acquire this, just a small one please. I am also doing more cycle classes so probably need to increase my protein intake.
Thanks again,
nice to know others have been there. Cal

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your helpful comments. I have started on increasing portions gradually. I liked the wine and cheese suggestions, love cheese but not red wine drinker yet perhaps I should acquire this, just a small one please. I am also doing more cycle classes so probably need to increase my protein intake.
Thanks again,
nice to know others have been there. Cal

Cal - Should you choose to take a glass of wine, that's fine, in moderation, but it isn't a core part of a diabetic diet. If it's not to your taste, then concentrate on the stuff you do enjoy.

Personally, I enjoy a glass of wine, but once in a while. Day-to-day I'm not fussed.