Bit of a moan

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ty for that bud .. for anyone in your area that will help them massive ..
But all ccgs have made their own mind on their own picks .. so each CCG will have dif lists .. but will be good to see what they have taken on .. an compact to location to see if the money they have to spend is same across board for D or if regional budget constraints will have a factor
The GMMMB study I shared is the Grandaddy of all the CCG sub selections since it lays down the rules for all of them,
See:
http://gmmmg.nhs.uk/docs/guidance/Prescribing-guidance-in-the-Self-monitoring-of-blood-glucose-SMBG.pdf#search="glucose meters"

I am not in Greater Manchester myself, so it is not my CCG. My CCG did use that same spreadsheet data to make the local subset that applied to me. One of my selections turned out to be a scam company who had debts of over £ 1m in one year trading and was probably money laundering. I checked Companies House to find this out, so it seems none of the CCG involved did due diligence

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your feed backs and information. I feel a little less peeved now!

Reactions: Guzzler

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try this one.....just found notes to say how much NHS England needs o save on spending on D ..they want to cut £40mil in next year from what I see
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/resources/costing-template-excel-435402829
The spreadsheet is for T1D only. It seems most of the future savings will come via DAPHNE training. It also seems that the % of T1D self monitoring expressed as a percentage of the population does not change, neither will the number of readings a day either.The cost of running a pump compared to daily injections is a surprise.

Presumably there is similar analysis for T2D (Eh? - Wot about us Type XYZ?) and will it include an analysis of reducing SMBG support?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blast ... soon as I get back I will find the link for you ... sorry thought had it
I have found it
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/resources/

It is last updated May 2017, so is current. The report you sent on T1D (NG17) was generated Aug 2015 and is not updated so is old data.

However, the T2D spreadsheet has no costings info like the T1D so is not the same thing. It seems that NICE did not do one for T2D that I can find. Only the Impact Assessment report. but that is dated Dec 2015 so again is not current.

Think this is past its solve by date.

Reactions: MrGrumpyD

Merehoare1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bit of a moan on a slightly different matter. Went to pick up my prescription from GP to find that my test strips had been changed from Aviva Accu-chek which I have been using for years to AgaMatrix a brand I had never heard of or seen advertised anywhere. I was given a new AgaMatrix meter which looked like a cheap bit of plastic which on checking is actually made in China! I made an appointment to see my GP with a view to pleading to revert me to my tried and tested Aviva system. I was given a stern lecture on how much the strips cost the NHS. A 'financial controller' from the health trust had visited all the surgeries in the area and dumped a lot of AgaMatrix meters with the instruction to prescribe only AgaMatrix strips from now on! At the end I was reduced to feeling guilty for making a fuss and had no choice but to accept my lot. I am still struggling to get used to this tiny machine which uses tiny strips. Wonder how would an elderly person with reduced dexterity cope with this!
As an afterthought, if this is replicated throughout the NHS, wouldn't most major meter manufacturers go out of business?
I was given one of these 'new' meters and since I have had it I have apparently had numerous hypos - started comparing readings with my Freedom Lite meter and I never had a hypo according to that one. DIscussed it with my GP and I am now back using my Freedom Lite. Have read numerous comments about the AgaMatrix meter and transpires it is not a good monitor so is back in the cupboard!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I like point 16 on the GMMMB file - ensure patients use test strips before represcribing. What do they think we are doing with the test strips if we're not using them? You can't exactly stockpile something with an expiry date.

Reactions: Bon83

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like point 16 on the GMMMB file - ensure patients use test strips before represcribing. What do they think we are doing with the test strips if we're not using them? You can't exactly stockpile something with an expiry date.
It is to stop people selling their free supplies on eBay. Why do you think you can buy strips for much lower cost than available through recognised outlets. Where do these discount supplies originate? Or are they stolen goods? or countefeit?

Ken_Elmer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been type 1 for 50 years and just switched from hospital clinic to doctor surgery. Much more personal and contiguous.

Ken_Elmer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can certainly recommend the agamatrix test strips as the new phone app is really neat. Apparently the strips are cheaper too.

Shadow_83uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can certainly recommend the agamatrix test strips as the new phone app is really neat. Apparently the strips are cheaper too.
It is no use to me if the test strip is cheaper if the results it gives me is erroneous. It is like having a broken watch, It will corrrectly tell me the time of day twice per diem. My SD Codefree is s bit like that, and I do not use it when making important decisions since I do not trust it.

Edit to add:
This has been discussed in the Forum
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/agamatrix-wavesense-jazz.41689/

And this is what the manufacturer is claiming
http://agamatrix.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/7500-10032_Rev_F_White_Paper_Evaluation_of_WaveSense_JAZZ™_Blood_Glucose_Monitoring_System_Analytical_Performance_to_EN_ISO_15197-2015_Standard.pdf

Last edited:

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a moan on a slightly different matter. Went to pick up my prescription from GP to find that my test strips had been changed from Aviva Accu-chek which I have been using for years to AgaMatrix a brand I had never heard of or seen advertised anywhere. I was given a new AgaMatrix meter which looked like a cheap bit of plastic which on checking is actually made in China! I made an appointment to see my GP with a view to pleading to revert me to my tried and tested Aviva system. I was given a stern lecture on how much the strips cost the NHS. A 'financial controller' from the health trust had visited all the surgeries in the area and dumped a lot of AgaMatrix meters with the instruction to prescribe only AgaMatrix strips from now on! At the end I was reduced to feeling guilty for making a fuss and had no choice but to accept my lot. I am still struggling to get used to this tiny machine which uses tiny strips. Wonder how would an elderly person with reduced dexterity cope with this!
As an afterthought, if this is replicated throughout the NHS, wouldn't most major meter manufacturers go out of business?
I'm not a type 1 nor am I on insulin but as a registered visually impaired person I would need to have a meter that is usable by those with poor sight (and I know there are 'talking meters'). So that's one group who don't fit one size.

Reactions: Bon83

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a type 1 nor am I on insulin but as a registered visually impaired person I would need to have a meter that is usable by those with poor sight (and I know there are 'talking meters'). So that's one group who don't fit one size.
The list o 6 possible meters my CCG gave me to select mine from had two talking meters on it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My friend had his changed but when he pointed out that he has arthritic fingers and could not manage the new one his doctor relented.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My friend had his changed but when he pointed out that he has arthritic fingers and could not manage the new one his doctor relented.
Yes. I too ended up with one that was not on the 'recommended' list. I checked, and not one of the chosen few had ketone capability. So I found one that ticked all the boxes, but was brand new, not yet on the market, so was not in the GMMMB study, My CCG accepted my choice, and is recommending it to ID patients who may get DKA and may need to test ketones.