Website Response times

D

Deleted member 308541

this morning it was the hare. Now its back to tortoise mode.
It's called "The Antipodes Effect, Or Why The Forum Is Universally Slow Everywhere".

It's also a good name for a book or movie.
el8jq.gif

S

serenity648

So I cant blame it on all those Americans coming on stream mid UK morning then and clogging my internet?????

LOL

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We are working on a solution this week. We thought it was the backing up of data, but as we've had several reports in this weekend we have raised a ticket.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Administrator

My background is computer programming and databases, but not on the system you run on.

Check what the "disk queue length" are like, if they are higher when you are having the problems, I expect you need faster "disks" and/or more memory. (Or to tune MySQL that I know nothing about.)

Check "lock contention" on the database, as I expect a database lock is taken out every time a user access the site (to update the last seen date/time and remember what each person has read) and the delays I am getting with posting "feels" like they could be dependent on database contention.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning has been tortoise and hare again. Slow then fast, slow then fast. All morning. No consistency at all.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I just zip off somewhere else on another tab while it's loading.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This place is definitely on a go - slow !! ................. I posted this last week :hilarious:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh blimey something's happening! My iPhone and iPad just went mad with 25 notifications arriving on the app, which as I said previously, I don't use as it's even more unreliable than coming here via Safari! Looks like it hasn't been working at all and is playing catch up!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I just clicked on Members and then Current Visitors, makes interesting reading, Members, Guests and Robots (don't fully understand Robot, just a vague idea).

Going like glue at the moment. About 30 seconds to a minute between clicking on "Reply" and getting the quote in this text area.

With regards to Robots - there are sites like Google who have automated programs (web crawlers) which spend all their time following links from web site to web site and adding information to their database.

These are usually identified by the fora and shown as "bots" or similar on the statistics.

There is even a special file "robots.txt" which can be used by sites to ask the robots not to search and index part (or all) of the site.

Not all web crawlers respect the request, unfortunately.

Anyway, the robot web crawlers are why you can use Google (or other search engine) to find discussion threads on this site.

Reactions: ringi

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Note - just switched from Chrome to Firefox because the post above was apparently not accepted. That is, still sitting with the text box and a "Post Reply" green button. When the button is pressed a black(ish) area near the top right of the screen shows some kind of shimmer for a while, then disappears. The progress indicator on the top tool bar (an X to stop an action or a loop to reload) doesn't do anything.

This PC has sufficient processors and memory to handle most stuff. My Internet connection is pretty fast. Therefore server problem(s).

I can see the post on here, but the site is currently going like a dog.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
First time on today and it is running very slow, bring back @Giverny as she was always good with the tech side of the forum.