Average glucose over 90da

Debeys42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have a freestyle libre sensor and reader. Is the average glucose over 90 days shown by my reader i.e. 7.6 the same as the HbA1c test done at the hospital? That was 5.6. Or does the fact that the sensor monitors glucose in the interstitial fluid mean there is no correlation between the two?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Deb, yes there is a disparity between the 2 for this reason, so although it's a useful guide it's not something to benchmark your results against.

Debeys42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Deb, yes there is a disparity between the 2 for this reason, so although it's a useful guide it's not something to benchmark your results against.
I have managed to dispense with both
my basal and bolts insulin by staying in ketosis. So I want to keep a strict watch on my levels I also wonder why my levels go up when I haven't eaten and go down after my high fat meals?

Debeys42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have managed to dispense with both

my basal and bolts insulin by staying in ketosis. So I want to keep a strict watch on my levels I also wonder why my levels go up when I haven't eaten and go down after my high fat meals?
Bolus!

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also wonder why my levels go up when I haven't eaten and go down after my high fat meals?

That will be your liver dumping stored glucose this should improve with your keto diet but may take more time.

Well done for getting yourself off insulin and going into ketosis @Chook did the same and has written some great posts about liver dumps.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debeys42 - I think if you are watching to see how you're doing with your glucose levels, the regular checks you are doing and the patterns/trends you'll be seeing from your Libre graphs are far more useful to you as a guide to your progress and overall control (IMO) than your HBA1c, as they tell you far more than a single 3/6/12 monthly average HbA1c can ever do, so don't worry too much about how the two may (or may not) correlate. If you are really concerned you can always take your Libre reader with you to check ups as evidence as to how you're actually managing.

Robbity

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Debeys42 , have you installed the software at the link below on your computer? Although the stuff on the reader is handy, the software allows for closer analysis.

https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/our-products/software/freestyle-libre-software

It gives an estimated a1c, see top right in the photo in the link, and the modal day, ambulatory glucose profile graph shown there is quite handy for getting an overview of recurring patterns by overlaying several days into one to see a typical say. Other bits of it will mark up post-prandial peaks and timings provided you've entered carb values when eating.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
RE the high fat meal lowering you, if I eat enough avocado with my meals containing protein it will lower me as it slows my rapid gluconeogenesis from protein. If I don't eat enough avocado I will rise. Oils and butter do not have the same effect as avocado but saturated fat potentially could. At least in my world.

I eat 4 -5 airplane sized meals ( love whoever used that description on another thread) and a few nuts in between. I do seem to require some insulin every three hours as my basal is no where o be seen in the morning. This routine works for me as I like very small snacks meals rather than meals. Keeps my tummy happy too as well as my bs.

Debeys42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all. No I haven't downloaded the software on my computer. I tend to use my iPad more and to tell the truth I am a bit of a techno dinosaur ! However I rang customer service of freestyle libre and they were very helpful and said the discrepancy wasn't dry great and suggested I checked my blood glucose sometimes if worried. I am delighted that the keto diet has enabled me to come off both,basal,and bolus insulin and my readings have lost the peaks and are altogether much flatter. And the average glucose overall has come down from 9 to 7.5 as has my cholesterol so I will,wait till my next visit to clinic in 3 months time