Low carb

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What, if any, meds are you on?

You must have been surprised!! If your bloods were running much higher than the lower levels will feel like a hypo. They're called false hypos and as soon as your body becomes accustomed to lower levels those feelings will go away.

If you're on insulin or any meds that work on / with your pancreas you'll most likely need to reduce those.

How many carbs were you eating and how low are you going with carbs now?

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on metformin/Empagliflozin /insulated and liraglutide I must admit I'm not sure how to go on. I have never had a hypo and the thought terrify me. I know I need to reduce my insulin but not sure by how much.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on metformin/Empagliflozin /insulated and liraglutide I must admit I'm not sure how to go on. I have never had a hypo and the thought terrify me. I know I need to reduce my insulin but not sure by how much.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Only trial and error can answer that and your meter. Test often and have snacks available. Error on the side of caution and take less, slowly adding more until you reach your goal if this is ok with your care team. Mine lets me adjust mine as I wish.

I will say I had to reduce my insulin by over 50%. We are all different. Tread carefully.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
4.1 is great for your first day of low carbing. As @Kristin251 says, the shakes will have been a false hypo - but I know it feels a lot like the real thing and more than a bit scary.

I have come off of Lantus and Novorapid (which are slow and fast acting insulins) and other diabetes meds - I'm just on Metformin now - and it was a long slow process but very much worth it. Only come down one unit at a time and then wait a day or two before reducing another unit just to see how your body reacts.

Have you asked for help from your GP or DN? I know mine weren't particularly helpful but it worked out fine for me in the end and they are now convinced it was their advice that helped me get my BG in control. Bless 'em.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lindiloo62

I can't give you any insulin advice, but I can tag @robert72 and @Snapsy.
They both have lots of low carb AND insulin experience.

In the meantime, the regular testing and having hypo treatments handy is a GOOD idea.
Can you contact your doc or nurse for advice on reducing your insulin?
Or reduce your carbs a bit more slowly, to track your blood glucose and adjust it gradually?

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
4.1 is great for your first day of low carbing. As @Kristin251 says, the shakes will have been a false hypo - but I know it feels a lot like the real thing and more than a bit scary.

I have come off of Lantus and Novorapid (which are slow and fast acting insulins) and other diabetes meds - I'm just on Metformin now - and it was a long slow process but very much worth it. Only come down one unit at a time and then wait a day or two before reducing another unit just to see how your body reacts.

Have you asked for help from your GP or DN? I know mine weren't particularly helpful but it worked out fine for me in the end and they are now convinced it was their advice that helped me get my BG in control. Bless 'em.
Hello chook my Dr pretty useless too. Just doing bit myself but would love to get off this insulin. I am just taking baby steps and hoping I get it right . I appreciate any help I can get

Sent from my SM-T560 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @lindiloo62 , wow, it really sounds as if low carb is making a big difference!

I'm type 1 so have no experience of treating type 2, but I would echo what has been said already about lots and lots of testing, and making gradual changes, and I would also want to be logging as much as possible my insulin doses and carb counts to be able to refer back to what works and what doesn't.

I would recommend talking this through with your DSN or GP - I recognise that in light of low carb, dose reduction is inevitable as far as your insulin is concerned, but it would be wise to ensure that your changes are gradual, and that your healthcare team are aware that you're experiencing hypos.

And have a good supply of Glucotabs on hand - I rely on having a stash on me at all times for treating hypos and indeed for peace of mind!

:)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I agree with @Brunneria that you are maybe reducing your carbs a bit too quickly - it's a fine balancing act and it's best to take your time. :)

Reactions: lindiloo62