Steroids

coxymk2

My gp has put me on steroids and antibiotics for a few days as I have a chest infection and already suffer with copd. My blood sugars are not running well at the moment with not being well. Just wondering if this would make my readings higher than usual
I'm Type 2 on insulin

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the steroids may well increase your levels I'm afraid. They should return to normal once they are out of your system.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Get well soon.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one injection in my hand and that resulted in somewhat higher glucose levels for several days. :wideyed:
Pain, stress, and illness can all also raise my glucose levels too.

Robbity

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have steroids meds from time to time for breathing problems. It usually takes about 3-4 weeks before my blood glucose levels return to their pre-steroid med state. I am not seeing any increase in HbA1c, although find fasting levels remain high for a bit longer than the 3-4 weeks.

coxymk2

Thanks for all your replies am finding it is my readings before my evening meal are a bit higher but my fasting readings have lowered (4.6 this morning) so am just keeping an eye on things and not worrying about it too much.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on steroids for PMR and I take them every morning at 8 a.m.
My blood sugars rise around 12 noon until 5.30 p.m.

Guildfly51

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here I've been on steroids all my life due u being born with panhypopituitorism so basically not hormones at all. The steroids do affect your sugar slightly as I find my sugar drops if I miss it or sugar goes higher when I have to take double dose if I'll