When to inject "before bed" insulin

kasabian

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is a silly question or whether it depends on the type of insulin, but what time are you supposed to inject the "before bed" insulin? Is it right at the moment you're going to go to sleep? or does it mean any time in the late evening?

You see, sometimes I go to sleep quite late. 2am, 3am... Should I inject at that moment? Or should I inject before then.

Sometimes I get into bed at 12am, and watch a film for 2 - 3 hours. So technically I am in bed. :D But should I inject before the film starts or at the end?

oh man, I'm confused.. :x

p.s. My before bed insulin is 'LANTUS Optiset'

Fugs

According to the literature I got when I was on Lantus, it said that you're supposed to take it the same time every day.
Like you I go to bed anytime from midnight until 4am.
I picked a time and had my lantus at that time.
I picked 11pm and it made it easier as I didn't have to remind myself to take it. I knew at 11 that I had to get my syringes out.
Try and pick a time that's convienent & stick to it.
Good luck

Out of my mind,
Back in 5 minutes

>^..^<

kasabian

excellent, thankyou.

Just out of interest, do you have the LANTUS pre-filled pen? The one that you use and then dispose.

That's the one I have, and I really don't like the pen. It's so stiff and awkward, and the lever thing always needs to be pushed down really hard. :evil:

Fugs

I did have the solarstar pens for a while. I wasn't able to use them very well because my hands weren't big enough to be able to press the end to inject. Also I was taking 150 units so had to inject twice.
I couldn't believe what a waste of money they were by being disposable.
I ended up getting a vial and used my syringes. Much easier and probably half the price too

Out of my mind,
Back in 5 minutes

>^..^<