Dafne

Millermoo26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Started the dafne course today, could you help with how I would work out a 200g jacket potato and get the right cp?

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started the dafne course today, could you help with how I would work out a 200g jacket potato and get the right cp?

Carbs & Cals book says a 220g jacket spud is 47g of carbs so a 200g spud should be about 43g of carb. Get the book it's a big help. Have fun on the course!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Millermoo26 . Enjoy the course, it's great. Get some electronic scales, and carbs and cals book it app.
As for jacket potato you need to do calculations after you have cooked it.
DAFNE will explain everything throughout the week.
Weight of potato will change with cooking.

Millermoo26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Millermoo26 . Enjoy the course, it's great. Get some electronic scales, and carbs and cals book it app.
As for jacket potato you need to do calculations after you have cooked it.
DAFNE will explain everything throughout the week.
Weight of potato will change with cooking.

Thanks for the reply, once cooked it was 180g, just a tad confused on what to adjust my insulin to as o cannot work out the cp of that makes sense ?

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So a 180 spud would be about 40g carbs and 1 cp = 10g carbs so it would be 4 cps. What's your insulin to cp ratio? In other words how many units of insulin for one cp? My supper time is 1.5 units of insulin per cp so 4 X 1.5= 6 units of insulin

Reactions: noblehead

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply, once cooked it was 180g, just a tad confused on what to adjust my insulin to as o cannot work out the cp of that makes sense ?
As you see cooking makes a big difference. Your jacket potato is around the 40 g carb mark or 4 CP's.
It now depends on your ratios, for me I work on a 1:1 ratio. 1 unit of bolus for every 1 CP. So 4 units of bolus would work for me. We are all different and your ratios may well be different but throughout the week on DAFNE this will become much clearer.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Millermoo26 . I think we may be giving you info that doesn't make to much sense at moment. You really will benefit from carbs and cal book or app. It would be difficult to work out carbs for a 180g potato without knowing what percentage of that 180g is actually carbs. Sometimes us old ' uns assume too much.
DAFNE is great and this time next week you will be so much wiser.

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently on the BERTIE course, despite being diagnosed for over 7 years, maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks! (Didn't know that a 'proper' hypo is actually below 3.5, not 4.0.

Does anyone know how similar this is to DAFNE, which the OP is on?

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember a dust-up I had with my DSN and dietician during my local equivalent of the DAFNE course, all about baked potatoes.

Out of interest - for homework - I thought I'd do a raw vs cooked calculation comparison. We were given the calculation equations below.

I weighed a raw 'old' potato and calculated its CHO using the raw 'old' potato figure per 100g (17g CHO per 100g potato)
I then baked it.
And weighed it once it was baked (obviously it weighed less at this point), calculating its CHO using the baked potato figure per 100g (32g CHO per 100g potato).

Two COMPLETELY different numbers. But for the same potato!

:rolleyes::banghead:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Dan87 there are some regional variations. I think BERTIE is the Bournemouth equivalent to DAFNE. The course I did was called SADIE. DAFNE is I think taught over five consecutive days. What I liked about SADIE was that it was for one day a week for five weeks - so there was loads of time in between sessions to put things into practice ready to fire loads of questions at the team at the next session.

Not to mention the opportunity to bake a whole shed load of potatoes........!