Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lindt 90% although - weirdly - I don't have it often, even though I know I can.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Not had chocolate since diagnosis, have always found dark chocolate too bitter. Perhaps time to try it again. We all deserve a treat now and again x
I would suggest the Hotel Chocolat Supermilk range - its over 70% cocoa but if you dont like bitter chocolate its as close to a "normal" milk chocolate as I think you'll find. I know we're all different but I don't spike on this.......in moderation. Good luck and enjoy!

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
What does "100% cocoa" mean, is it just a block of cocoa with no other ingredients?
Listed Ingredients, per 100g:
Fat 54g [Sats 33g]
C/H 8g [Sugars<0.5g]
Protein 12g
Fibre [??] 17g
Na+ 0.02g
God knows where the fibre comes in - it doesn't taste like old rope.
Anyway, I think it tastes as good as Lindt 90%, has insignificant sugar & in #Brexit Britain, is UK manufactured!

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I use hotel chocolate 100% buttons

Nice with raspberries, Greek yogurt and a few walnuts.
oooh nom nom, sounds a great way to spread that cocoa buzz, def going to try your variation, thanks!

Reactions: Looseboy and dbr10

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lindt 90% seems optimum. I have tried 100% Montezuma, but it s just too bitter.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree on the Lindt 90%. Found some Lindt 99% the other day and didn't enjoy it. I'm kind of addicted to the 90%.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've ditched Lindt 90% as I've discovered UK manufactured Montezuma's Absolute Black,100% Cocoa. Unlike Lindt 99% which tastes disgusting, the Montezuma is great, with <0.5% sugar content. It's expensive, at £2.60/100g but there's no need to eat a lot of it as it provides an enormous Cocoa hit! Waitrose is the only store that I've seen it in. Has anyone else tried this?
Yes. It used to be in Sainsbury's.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not had chocolate since diagnosis, have always found dark chocolate too bitter. Perhaps time to try it again. We all deserve a treat now and again x
I only used to have milk chocolate and found dark too bitter; but, after avoiding things with obvious sugar content for so long, I quite enjoy it now.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Listed Ingredients, per 100g:
Fat 54g [Sats 33g]
C/H 8g [Sugars<0.5g]
Protein 12g
Fibre [??] 17g
Na+ 0.02g
God knows where the fibre comes in - it doesn't taste like old rope.
Anyway, I think it tastes as good as Lindt 90%, has insignificant sugar & in #Brexit Britain, is UK manufactured!
Don't worry. It will soon be flogged off to somebody.

Reactions: pjayem1964

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've tried three of the 100% chocs from Hotel Chocolat. They were bought as an Easter pressie by Mr Chook which meant he went right out of his way to get them. To be honest, if I'd bought them myself I'd have binned them after the first bite - but they were a present so I ate every last little bit of them and it nearly put me off of chocolate.

I've not tried the Montezuma slab chocolate - but I have tried the Montezuma boxed chocolates (another pressie from Mr Chook) which were lovely but a bit sweet for me and very expensive.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I only used to have milk chocolate and found dark too bitter; but, after avoiding things with obvious sugar content for so long, I quite enjoy it now.

Same here.... pre low carbing my favourite used to be Caramac. :meh::(

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I just looked up Montezuma Chocolate's website and see that they do 2 other varieties of their 100% Dark chocolate. One has almonds and the other cocoa nibs with orange oil. Reviewers on the website give them all rave reviews.
I don't think Waitrose stocks anything other than the plain 100% dark. Montezuma will mail chocolate to you but adding £5 p&p to a £10.36 order for 4 bars seems a bit extravagant. I think I'll wait and see.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried the Montezuma 100% choc block, which I got from Sainsbury's, the only place locally that I found it in stock. Biggest problem I had with it was trying to break the ruddy stuff; in the end I had to resort to my smallest tack hammer & a wooden chopping board on the garage floor!!

I always preferred dark chocolate, even as a child, and wouldn't give a thank you for milk chocolate, so turning to higher cocoa wasn't an issue for me. In fact, it's been many years since I ate chocolate at all, it just wasn't on my radar. I read about the Montezuma somewhere on this site, (probably earlier in this thread), and decided to try it. It has taken a few months to eat my way through the whole bar; I just finished the last of it last night. It was ok, very smooth, but I found it a tad 'raw' to the back of my throat. I'm not sure that 'raw' is the right word that explains the taste/aftertaste correctly, but it's the best I can think of at the minute. I don't think I shall be buying it again.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just looked up Montezuma Chocolate's website and see that they do 2 other varieties of their 100% Dark chocolate. One has almonds and the other cocoa nibs with orange oil. Reviewers on the website give them all rave reviews.
I don't think Waitrose stocks anything other than the plain 100% dark. Montezuma will mail chocolate to you but adding £5 p&p to a £10.36 order for 4 bars seems a bit extravagant. I think I'll wait and see.
Just FYI about the postage - you can get 2 bars for £6 or 6 bars for £15.45 on Amazon with free delivery (presume that cost is somehow worked into the slightly higher price).

Reactions: Cap'n M

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've tried the Montezuma 100% choc block, which I got from Sainsbury's, the only place locally that I found it in stock. Biggest problem I had with it was trying to break the ruddy stuff; in the end I had to resort to my smallest tack hammer & a wooden chopping board on the garage floor!!

:D

Your post just brought back a memory, my father use to like the Scottish Tablet Toffee where you'd get a little hammer in the packaging, the stuff was impossible to break and when it did it would break into a thousand bits :)

Reactions: Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

Your post just brought back a memory, my father use to like the Scottish Tablet Toffee where you'd get a little hammer in the packaging, the stuff was impossible to break and when it did it would break into a thousand bits :)

Oh Yeh, I remember that; don't know if it was the same toffee, but we had the same result - it was always a ****** trying to eat the tiny bits afterwards; never tasted the same somehow.
I used to have one of those proper toffee hammers once, must of lost it during a house move sometime; still miss it occasionally.

Reactions: noblehead