need help

lee16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just started New tablets for my t2 diabetes, my problem is that when I was first diagnosed I was suffering from dryiness down below, I thought is was early memo, when taking menformin it went away, started New tablets last two days and am really dry and itchy what can I get to help it??

Thanks

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello lee16
Sorry to hear what's going on. You may find that sugar in your urine has upset the natural balance of that department, possibly resulting in thrush. You can buy medications over the counter, or best go to your gp or practice nurse to be sure. It could be a side effect of your new meds, so best make an apt. Hope it's sorted soon, as you've got enough to deal with coping with your T2.
Good luck.

Reactions: hurf0rd and lee16

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you have to wait for an appointment then in the meantime do not use soap on the affected area. Get a tub of Aqueous cream from the chemist, use that instead of soap then when you are dry use it as a sort of barrier cream. It is a good stop gap until you can get treatment but will not agravate the problem. Buy the big tub (it's only a couple of quid) not the tube as the tube is a big rip off.

paintylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So sorry to read this, I feel your iritation!! I reached menopause about 18months ago, oh the hot flushes and recurring thrush were horrendous. I found over the counter medication (chemist own brand work just as well and are much cheaper) along with application of coconut oil helped and using no soaps or shower gel. However due to my high blood sugar (diagnosed t2 this May) it kept coming back, now my bs is much lower and I am irritation free. You do need to get an appointment to check it out, hope you don't have to wait too long, best of luck x

Reactions: Snapsy

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
What everyone has said so far is good. Also, there are a couple of different forms of metformin, plus of course, there are other diabetes drugs altogether, so maybe a different med may suit you better. Straight Metformin tends to be an opening gambit by the NHS to get your sugar under control.

Also, I seem to bang on about this every time I post here, but it really is worth testing yourself regularly. Metformin is prescribed for a specific purpose, and you can measure for yourself just how effective it is. There's no magic going on. Medical professionals will go on about your hba-1c value, but if you take regular glocometer readings (which are basically spot values) then you get a picture which is just as good, and in the privacy of your own bathroom.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
N.B During premenopause and through to post menopause the lining of affected parts changes dramatically and the bugs that would normally fight off fungi and bacteria are of such lower numbers that it becomes a battle to get rid of such infections. It is down to oestrogen levels, enviromental factors and conditions like Diabetes. Having said that, there are other causes of symptoms such as yours so it is wise to see a HCP and have a swab taken.
It is interesting to note that between premenopause and post menopause there can be a long time frame, anything up to about fifteen years. This is not to say that women have symptoms for the whole of that time, it is a slow process and changes that may affect you at the begining may not be felt in the middle or at the end. The general rule of thumb if you are not sure if you are in the mmenopause is that if you do not menstruate for a whole year, not even a spot then you can be fairly certain your body has changed. If you do not see anything for ten months but then have a small bleed you have to start the count again.

lee16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reached menopause about 18months ago, oh the hot flushes and recurring thrush were horrendous. I found over tr due to my high blood sugar (diagnosed t2 this May) it kept coming back, now my bs is much lower and I am irritation free. You do need to get an appointment to check it out, hope you don't have to wait too long, best of luck x[/QUOTE]
No I though
N.B During premenopause and through to post menopause the lining of affected parts changes dramatically and the bugs that would normally fight off fungi and bacteria are of such lower numbers that it becomes a battle to get rid of such infections. It is down to oestrogen levels, enviromental factors and conditions like Diabetes. Having said that, there are other causes of symptoms such as yours so it is wise to see a HCP and have a swab taken.
It is interesting to note that between premenopause and post menopause there can be a long time frame, anything up to about fifteen years. This is not to say that women have symptoms for the whole of that time, it is a slow process and changes that may affect you at the begining may not be felt in the middle or at the end. The general rule of thumb if you are not sure if you are in the mmenopause is that if you do not menstruate for a whole year, not even a spot then you can be fairly certain your body has changed. If you do not see anything for ten months but then have a small bleed you have to start the count again.

lee16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forget that last post there am not going through menopause I thought I was at beginning but it's one of the symptoms of diabetes, and I know now that if I have too high blood sugar the symptoms come back but was looking for cream or something to use, am not going through the menopause I wish I was. !!!

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Forget that last post there am not going through menopause I thought I was at beginning but it's one of the symptoms of diabetes, and I know now that if I have too high blood sugar the symptoms come back but was looking for cream or something to use, am not going through the menopause I wish I was. !!!
@lee16
I put the N.B just as an added guide for anyone who may have questions on the menopause. It is a part of life that isn't often talked about in company so I thought I'd put in a little of what I've learned about it. I consider myself lucky in that I went into the change at 40 and was finished with it at 50 but I wish someone had warned me in advance about some of the changes other than hot flushes.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
..... was looking for cream or something to use

I've found that an ointment called vagisil has worked for me when I've had similar itching. Main ingredient is lidocaine and it comes in a 30g , pale lilac & white tube. I think I got this in our local B&M store, though I guess pharmacists might stock it as well. Can't remember the cost, though I thought it was a bit expensive for the size, but the relief was quite quick.

Obviously, a cream can help deal with symptoms, but it's still worth getting yourself checked out by GP, so they can sort out what is actually causing the problem.

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strange reading this, but before i was diagnosed end of march,(i went docs about the change thats when t2 got picked up) i had had continual oral thrush was awful, but since diagnosed *touch wood* been fine