The best thing

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
Are we all agreed that the best thing about Diabetes is not having to eat all the home-made cake that insufferable work colleagues are constantly thrusting on their poor workmates. I simply love being able to say that they look lovely, I'm so tempted and then walking away with a big inward smile!

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Are we all agreed that the best thing about Diabetes is not having to eat all the home-made cake that insufferable work colleagues are constantly thrusting on their poor workmates. I simply love being able to say that they look lovely, I'm so tempted and then walking away with a big inward smile!
Not sure about it being the best thing but I have to agree that it is liberating. I particularly enjoy not having to contribute my portion of killer carbs. I do allow myself a secret smirk when someone from the cake groups compliments me on my lost weight. That dratted cake obsession as certainly marred my life. The only people who have not been able to handle my new found reluctance to eat the stuff spend the entire meeting talking about people anyway. One of those "dare not be first to leave" groups. Most people have been great. So positive yes. The best is feeling so well.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's certainly one of the best things. Also included is when cashing up at a local mini mart they love to delay you with offers of chocolate bars for £1 etc. When I am in a hurry I say, "I'm sorry, I am diabetic", and it goes much more quickly.

Original recipe KFC is fine so I sometimes go there and get the sales pitch. They want me to have the pre chewed stuff and fizzy drinks and I give them the diabetes line. One bloke knocked some money off the bill since I didn't accept the freebies.

Good ere ennit.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What makes me feel happy is waiting in the queue at the supermarket cash out, looking at all the trolleys ahead and behind me laden to overflowing with every high carb food imaginable, and knowing that my trolley is 1000% more healthy, diabetic or not.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What makes me feel happy is waiting in the queue at the supermarket cash out, looking at all the trolleys ahead and behind me laden to overflowing with every high carb food imaginable, and knowing that my trolley is 1000% more healthy, diabetic or not.
I have to disagree, especially when the calories galore in freely given to their kids. Yes kids likes ice creams and sweets, but the parents must control them and not make them fat balls.
I also think that people in general should be more aware that the should and could eat better and don't risk to have health problems.

I also think if more people will start to eat healthy, at least follow the eatwell guide, the supermarket will sell more healthy things and less carbohydrate bombs, so the fact everyone starts to eat well it's a bit selfish...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also think if more people will start to eat healthy, at least follow the eatwell guide, the supermarket will sell more healthy things and less carbohydrate bombs, so the fact everyone starts to eat well it's a bit selfish...

Here are the percentages of food types from the Eatwell Guide.

The Guide shows the proportions of food groups and how much of each we should be eating daily. According to PHE these breakdown roughly into: starchy 37%; fruit/veg 39%; oils 1%; beans, pulses, meat 12%; dairy 8%; occasional foods 3%.

In my view following the Eatwell Guide will not encourage the supermarket to sell more healthy things and less carbohydrate bombs.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my view following the Eatwell Guide will not encourage the supermarket to sell more healthy things and less carbohydrate bombs.
You could do better than eatwell guide, but judging the content of the typical grocery cart filled with sweetened drinks and candies and without fruits and vegetables,, the eatwell guide will be a good starting point.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh yes.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I like cake.

But if you put a bowl of strawberries and cream, a plate of 70% choc and a plate with a slice of sponge cake on it in front of me, then the cake would be my last choice.

Makes it quite easy to resist, especially when I also don't have to watch the bg result on my meter.

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not sure about it being the best thing but I have to agree that it is liberating. I particularly enjoy not having to contribute my portion of killer carbs. I do allow myself a secret smirk when someone from the cake groups compliments me on my lost weight. That dratted cake obsession as certainly marred my life. The only people who have not been able to handle my new found reluctance to eat the stuff spend the entire meeting talking about people anyway. One of those "dare not be first to leave" groups. Most people have been great. So positive yes. The best is feeling so well.
Yes, definitely the best thing is feeling so well but being freed from the cake tyranny is a huge bonus for me!

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's certainly one of the best things. Also included is when cashing up at a local mini mart they love to delay you with offers of chocolate bars for £1 etc. When I am in a hurry I say, "I'm sorry, I am diabetic", and it goes much more quickly.

Original recipe KFC is fine so I sometimes go there and get the sales pitch. They want me to have the pre chewed stuff and fizzy drinks and I give them the diabetes line. One bloke knocked some money off the bill since I didn't accept the freebies.

Good ere ennit.
I've often had free sides in restaurants instead of chips. I now act like I expect it and generally get my way!

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Here are the percentages of food types from the Eatwell Guide.

The Guide shows the proportions of food groups and how much of each we should be eating daily. According to PHE these breakdown roughly into: starchy 37%; fruit/veg 39%; oils 1%; beans, pulses, meat 12%; dairy 8%; occasional foods 3%.

I don't find the Eatwell guide healthy at all for me, but I accept it's a far sight healthier than the normal diet of a lot of carb-junkies I know

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I wouldnt say its the best thing ever, being diabetic is bloody awful for me!

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not best thing ever, just for me the best thing about being diabetic. Sorry to hear you're having a bad time, I appreciate every experience is different. I have come to welcome my diabetes as it has resulted in a far healthier lifestyle for me and I feel so much better in myself for it. I wish you well x

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Great idea for a positive post Helen. I was recently at a "bring and share" and I honestly did not want to eat any of the foods on offer. Low carb food is tastier and doesn't leave you feeling bloated and guilty.
The best thing for me is losing weight and buying slim-fit jeans!

perry1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People that moan for no reason
Thought I would struggle with a low carbohydrate diet but to be honest I am quite enjoying it eating foods that I have not tried before (was always a fussy eater and would never try anything new).:)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes it is tough isn't it. I would prefer to not have diabetes and have a choice. Equally though as I do have diabetes I have found that quite a lot of stuff I ate once, was stuff I ate because of the situation not because I particularly enjoyed it. Cake being a good example - I hate that awful icing and filling in shop bought birthday cakes - but every birthday I would have my bit. Now I say, really sorry but it would kill me :)

Reactions: suginami