Fiasp vs Humalog

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been using Fiasp for a couple of months switching from Humalog and I registered the following;
Fiasp kicks in slightly quicker but seems way less potent than Humalog... Anyone has experienced the same?

On the upside; way less stacking effect.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting as I was thinking of changing to Fiasp, when you say less potent do you mean your using more insulin using Fiasp as you were/are using Humalog? ( a bit confused as you mention the stacking effect and wonder if your referring to the action time of the insulin).

I'll tag the member @tim2000s into your thread as I'm sure he is using Fiasp in his pump.

Reactions: kzlorenz

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @noblehead I am, but I came from Novorapid, so don't really a humalog comparison. What I would say is that after using it for a month or so, I found I needed more insulin than the non-Fiasp Aspart (roughly 25% more), and it definitely works more quickly. I'm also wary of the statement about stacking as it's caught me out more than once.

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting as I was thinking of changing to Fiasp, when you say less potent do you mean your using more insulin using Fiasp as you were/are using Humalog? ( a bit confused as you mention the stacking effect and wonder if your referring to the action time of the insulin).

I'll tag the member @tim2000s into your thread as I'm sure he is using Fiasp in his pump.

Yes I seem to need 20-25% more units.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I came from mdi novorapid to fiasp. The fiasp definitely gets to work quicker and has done much to reduce post meal blood sugar spikes. Duration seems similar to NR. Stacking hasn't been a problem but I keep a close eye with the Libre. Initially I used a little more compared with NR but I've settle back down in the same ratios. Basal has remained unchanged.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes I seem to need 20-25% more units.

Right that's interesting @kzlorenz , due back to see Consultant in September so will ask a few more questions about Fiasp before deciding, reason for wanting to change was the quicker acting time over Novorapid (not having to pre-bolus too far ahead).

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had no change in my I:c ratio moving to FIASP, the only thing that annoys me with it is that it has the same tail as nova in my opinion, which when bolusing closer to the meal vs waiting 20-40 mins, means the tail is still going round the duration that you saved by bolusing sooner.

However, FIASP has allowed me to eat Muesli again, I still have to wait 15-20 mins on this one even with FIASP but its working.

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had no change in my I:c ratio moving to FIASP, the only thing that annoys me with it is that it has the same tail as nova in my opinion, which when bolusing closer to the meal vs waiting 20-40 mins, means the tail is still going round the duration that you saved by bolusing sooner.

However, FIASP has allowed me to eat Muesli again, I still have to wait 15-20 mins on this one even with FIASP but its working.
Were you on Humalog ?

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right that's interesting @kzlorenz , due back to see Consultant in September so will ask a few more questions about Fiasp before deciding, reason for wanting to change was the quicker acting time over Novorapid (not having to pre-bolus too far ahead).
I think you'll get that and a shorter tail too.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consultant has let me give Fiasp a go. Seems the medical opinion is that Fiasp is ok for pumps but not proven for MDI, but I've said I'm happy to let him know how it goes. With the Libre I should be able to evidence some proper comparison to Novorapid.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think you'll get that and a shorter tail too.
Absolutlely not true. What it has is a different profile, so that more of the insulin is used by muscle up front, but the half life is the same as novorapid (about 57 minutes) which means the tail is as long, but not as intense. We've been trying to model it for artificial pancreas purposes and finding the relationship to be a little "awkward" between absorption and clearance.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just to add to this discussion, Lilly have been working on a new formulation of Lispro (Humalog) and released the pharmacokinetic data of the early trials in June. The plots look very similar to those of Fiasp.

g3017_2.jpg

chrissargent

I changed from humalog to fiasp about 4 weeks ago. I am on mdi.

My blood sugars are significantly better over the last month but I have had to increase both my lunch and evening meal ratios from 2:1 and 2.5:1 to 2.5:1 and 3:1 respectively.

I have also found it tails off about 30 mins quicker than humalog. My IOB with humalog was consistently 4 hours, with fiasp it's 3'30" to 3'45"

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutlely not true. What it has is a different profile, so that more of the insulin is used by muscle up front, but the half life is the same as novorapid (about 57 minutes) which means the tail is as long, but not as intense. We've been trying to model it for artificial pancreas purposes and finding the relationship to be a little "awkward" between absorption and clearance.
Shorter than Humalog in my case.