Help..Getting bored with veg and dairy

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t feel like posting on diabetes.co.uk anymore, as my posts are being misread, and yes it does appear narrow minded, even the moderators.

But must say i was not talking about control, or tolerances, as any intolerance to carbohydrate would mean I still have diabetes, and that was never my goal.

I know some will say we all have tolerances, and yes that is true when you have diabetes/ insulin resistance , but that is not normal, no matter what anyone says.

I know we all think differently, and are happy with what they are doing, and that’s good, but don’t bash new ideas, as my aim only to share a different way to help reverse it, not control, as for me I was worried if I ever got very sick, how would I control it then.

Anyway, end of.

Don't let the ******** grind you down. I have had exactly the same thing happen to me - but it is the exception not the rule. 99% of the posts I read and get responses to are really good. And surely the different ideas and approaches are what invented things like trying different diets in the first place.
KEEP POSTING.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t feel like posting on diabetes.co.uk anymore, as my posts are being misread, and yes it does appear narrow minded, even the moderators.

But must say i was not talking about control, or tolerances, as any intolerance to carbohydrate would mean I still have diabetes, and that was never my goal.

I know some will say we all have tolerances, and yes that is true when you have diabetes/ insulin resistance , but that is not normal, no matter what anyone says.

I know we all think differently, and are happy with what they are doing, and that’s good, but don’t bash new ideas, as my aim only to share a different way to help reverse it, not control, as for me I was worried if I ever got very sick, how would I control it then.

Anyway, end of.
It would be a shame if you were to stop posting @phonic2k, I hope you reconsider...

There are many different ways to manage diabetes when it comes to diet. Just because your diet differs to one that many here follow, doesn't make it wrong - it simply means it's different. Sometimes it's easy to feel belittled and outcast just because you're not on the bandwagon of X, Y or Z; but I'm sure that's not the aim of most people here. Diet is a very sensitive topic as we base our lives around it. To a lot of people, telling them they are eating wrong is like telling them they are living wrong - so it's normal to see some excitement now and again. For the most part though, we're a real friendly bunch here - it's just very hard to judge tone over text:)

Please do stay on the forum and share your stories and experiences. As I said before, many people could benefit in following your route to success and it's critical that we get feedback from people such as yourselves. Considering your monumental achievement in reversing your condition, it's important that we hear from you.

I hope to see you around!

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regarding cauliflower rice, I think spices are key! (Or cheese if you can eat cheese.)

I like to use sage-based spice mix, toasted nuts & diced veg as if I'm making turkey dressing/stuffing--surprisingly delicious.

A non-riced cauliflower hit is taking bite sized pieces, lightly coating in oil, and sprinkling w smoked paprika (sweet not too hot) & a bit of salt, then baking til lightly brown. This is FANTASTIC.

Reactions: TIANDB and derry60

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t feel like posting on diabetes.co.uk anymore, as my posts are being misread, and yes it does appear narrow minded, even the moderators..
Am I misreading the two posts where you write that people who eat saturated fat have to reduce their fruit and veg to zero to control their blood glucose, or the post where you say that you didn't write that?
By making statements about how other people manage their diabetes which appear to be in error you do rather lay yourself open to be challenged - but if you don't want to debate your claims that is fine by me.
I am sure that if you are willing to give more details and explain how you have reversed your own diabetes you will find forum members eager to know everything you wish to post.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
That sounds nice. Yes, I can eat cheese. I usually use the grated so I don't have too much. I actually sprinkled some grated cheese onto steaming hot cauliflower and it all melted. I did enjoy that. I will try the cauliflower rice again and will try some of your ingredients also. I do roast cauliflower with Italian seasoning and garlic,

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(I have no useful input on saturated fat, and this thread has made me more concerned and confused than ever; I just eat to the metre and avoid the things I'm allergic to!)

Reactions: kumera

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: donnellysdogs

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here;s the recipe from that link. I don't follow it 100% but it's a good base for variations, and I was shocked at how delicious it was. Pecans can be pricey so I've tried it with walnuts too, which are okay, and without nuts. This is one of those LC recipes I can serve to "regular diet" people and they love and don't even realise is cauliflower rather than a grain.

Grain-Free Sage and Pecan Stuffing

Stuffing9.jpg

Print
Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
20 mins
Total time
30 mins

Author: Sonnet
Recipe type: Side
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 4 cups raw cauliflower rice (see tutorial here!)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and place in the oven until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. (Keep a close eye on the pecans to ensure they do not burn.)
  2. Remove pecans from the oven. Add the pecans to a food processor. Coarsely chop and set aside.
  3. Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and celery and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the pecans, cauliflower rice, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 7 - 10 minutes, until rice is tender.
  5. Toss with parsley and serve hot. Add additional salt and pepper, if desired.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It’s well know comman knowledge these days that high amounts of animal fat increases insulin resistance. I’m surprised you don’t know about it. Google it, lots of research on the subject. I’ve been covering this on the radio with Dr Ing.

I would try going plant based for a while and see what a difference it makes to your health too in helping to reverse diabetes not just control.

That sounds like a wonderful challenge. I have been thinking of doing this (but also doing the zero carb thing which is dead animals etc and dairy, I take it.)

Maybe a few keen folk could start a thread? Plant matter only (is this Vegan? Or merely Vegetarian? egads) for month, do all the tests, and then do zero carbs for a month and see what the results are? I'd be game! (I have been thinking of doing it anyway.) Challenges and experiments are wonderfully inspiring things :).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That sounds like a wonderful challenge. I have been thinking of doing this (but also doing the zero carb thing which is dead animals etc and dairy, I take it.)

Maybe a few keen folk could start a thread? Plant matter only (is this Vegan? Or merely Vegetarian? egads) for month, do all the tests, and then do zero carbs for a month and see what the results are? I'd be game! (I have been thinking of doing it anyway.) Challenges and experiments are wonderfully inspiring things :).

If you could do for 3 months and get bloods tested before and after them it would be very interesting. GPs are unlikely to do full bloods etc unless you have £295 spare for a full blood analysis by Prof Robert Thomas each month where he also tests all the essentials in blood like omega 3,6,9.. not jyst the NHS essential tests.

Would join you except I'm limited on foods.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My own GP in NZ is very supportive of regular no-cost blood testing - I have been lucky. (Pay a bomb to go see her though! So maybe it goes in swings and roundabouts? The cost thing.) She knows I do a lot of experimentation, and is very supportive, although I don't think she is much interested in the outcomes, other than HBA1c, and general blood lipid results.

I would be in seventh heaven to have the omegas tested, and absolutely for the size and fluffiness of my LDL particles! Which would be fab. And an insulin clamp, or whatever they call it. Swoon! But I can get c-peptide levels tested regularly, which is the no-cost person's pretty good alternative, isn't it? :).

I hear you re the three month thing, @donnellysdogs. I have wondered myself if one month would be enough. I would find three months Vegan REALLY hard! Though. I must say. And three months without brocolli and salad? Argh! Whereas - one month is a substantial amount of time to experience something out of one's comfort zone, and, I have found in the past that one month does or can show a change in the blood lipids profile. But of course you would be right re the longer time being much more scientific. And is it re the life of the blood cell? The three months?

My own experience of 30-day experiments, was first in doing a Paleo30 - at Robb Wolf's suggestion back in the day (pre diabetes.co.UK forum days :),) soon after diagnosis. Wolf said do strict Paleo for 30 days, do the blood lipids before and after, and I know you will have much improved levels in all or most counts, said he. This was indeed borne out. I was impressed. Best triglyceride levels I have ever had (I am tolerant of and love dairy, which is why I am an LCHFer, rather than a Paleobetic, if I can use that word, but I did have better triglycerides without dairy.) (Love that word paleobetic! Pleased for any opportunity to throw it in!)

Doing very-low-cal for two months, by the way, did not give the same dramatic other than HBA1c blood lipid results. Will be interesting to see if Vegan makes a big difference. Including with HBA1c, of course.

I take it it has to be Vegan to lower the food-fats enough? Dairy? and eggs? would be too much saturated fat for this experiment in increased BG control/insulin sensitivity via veg?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

mickarick

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well I have been eating a low carb diet for around 6 weeks now. I really am starting to crave a potato..even if it is just a sweet potato. I have done the mashed cauliflower and Celeriac thing and now seem to be craving some rice, couscous or quinoa. I eat a variety of veg and eat dairy, meat etc but missing my grains : ( I have not given in though lol. Does anybody else get bored with their diet?

I have been on the diets just 3 weeks we had a chicken at the weekend , on Monday my wife made a chicken omelette from what was left and added bacon cut into small pieces, no carbs and was very tasty .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Statements such as
have to cut out all fruit and vegetables
to the point where they don't eat any fruit and vegetables
with no qualification do seem to have cropped up in your posts - you can check if you need to.
As I have noticed that I can now eat more carbs without raising my blood glucose, but unfortunately am finding that they increase my weight I can only offer my personal experience and opinion that despite eating saturated fat I can control my diabetes very well and reduce insulin resistance at the same time.
As I am only 8 months from diagnosis I have not yet been able to experiment with different variations of diet but I do intend to do so - having been shocked rigid by my return to normal glucose levels I hope to be able to at least puzzle myself in future.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggle with insulin resistance and have done for many years, long before T2 diagnosis. I low carb and my BGs are fine, if there is any chance at all that giving up animal fats could help me to reduce my insulin resistance and therefore help me to lose weight then I am willing to try.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did I really say in my posts "people who eat animal fat have to reduce their fruit and veg to zero"?? really???

This is the closest post to you statement. Are you referring to this post below?

The above quote is referring to zero-carb diets( no carbs) as seen on the first line, and as we keep cutting carbs lower and lower we have to remove fruit and veg as they contain carbs. a Zero-carb diet would mean only fat and protein, meaning no veg or fruit, and my posts clearly states that I did not think it's a healthy option to go without fruit and veg.
I'd love to reverse instead of control my Pre-diabetes. :)
It's really great reading about different peoples experiences and keeping an open mind is absolutely necessary. Even if you're doing okay with whatever diet you have, maybe you can do better?? Please keep posting :D

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Here;s the recipe from that link. I don't follow it 100% but it's a good base for variations, and I was shocked at how delicious it was. Pecans can be pricey so I've tried it with walnuts too, which are okay, and without nuts. This is one of those LC recipes I can serve to "regular diet" people and they love and don't even realise is cauliflower rather than a grain.

Grain-Free Sage and Pecan Stuffing

Stuffing9.jpg

Print
Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
20 mins
Total time
30 mins

Author: Sonnet
Recipe type: Side
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 4 cups raw cauliflower rice (see tutorial here!)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and place in the oven until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. (Keep a close eye on the pecans to ensure they do not burn.)
  2. Remove pecans from the oven. Add the pecans to a food processor. Coarsely chop and set aside.
  3. Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and celery and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the pecans, cauliflower rice, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 7 - 10 minutes, until rice is tender.
  5. Toss with parsley and serve hot. Add additional salt and pepper, if desired.

That looks delicious will certainly give this a go. Thank you for the recipe x

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kay321

Splot

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Liars
So my pre-diabeties is personal to me? If we ate the same thing for a week and all tested before and after eating we could all get different readings? So what I need to do is work out what makes my blood sugar rise. I start a course on "how to not turn into a diabetic" om 12th September so I think I will be much more informed after it.