Substitutes for Mash Potatoe

pms543

Am reading recipes on here and really looking forward to trying some out as I can adapt anyhow for my gluten free diet as well.

Anyhow, what are your recipes for :

mashed caulifower?

Using cauliflower as rice? (find this bizzare but willing to learn lol)

Also, what other veg do you use to replace the once, good ole, mash spuds

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
I have substituted cauliflower for potato and it works reasonably well. I may add a little potato, perhaps to a ratio of 1:4 and add some low fat milk or cream to smooth it out using a hand blender. I may also fold in a little grated cheddar before serving.
I'm not sure on the all year round availability of fresh pumpkin in the UK (I'm in Malaysia at present) but I find that is a nice alternative to potato. It also makes for a tasty and filling soup & I usually add a small chilli. A dash of coconut milk rounds it off.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Isn't Sweet Potato supposed to be better than ordinary potato? It's not perfect but has a lower GI. Also, there are some types of ordinary potato, such as Vivaldi, that are very buttery and creamy and need little or no addition of any fat.

Russ

pms543

Thansk , all sound good...might try that malaysian recipe!! yum

How would I make rice type from cauli then? would I just grate some stalks? After or before cooking?

yipster29

I use the cauliflower rice and it works surprisingly well!! Just mash up and microwave for about 4 mins.

For a bit more taste you can add worcestershire sauce.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
The pumpkin soup is incredibly easy to make. Pumpkins seem to be available all year round in Malaysia and they are smaller than the ones usually seen around halloween time in UK. They are also not smooth so its a devil to take the outer skin off!
However, once peeled chop into cubes and place in a pan of boiling water and a vegetable stock cube or 2. Experiment a bit with amount of water but generally if the pumpkin is an inch high add at least another inch of water. You may not want it too runny so you can always add more water/stock if necessary. Add a firey hot chilli if desired and you could experiment with a little powdered cumin and tumeric too. After about 10 mins or so the pumpkin soon softens and thats basically it. Mash it or better still use a hand blender to get it smooth. The dash of coconut milk really does luxuriate it but you could use cream instead if you prefer.

Another little discovery I made is chickpeas. Chickpeas are the main ingredient of hummus but there is no reason not to have them as a vegetable on the main dish in their own right. But please dont buy the canned ones! Get a packet of dried ones and soak overnight in the fridge. Boil for 60-75 mins until softened. They keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. You could also pop them (cooked) into soups, stews, salads or even as a little snack between meals seasoned with a pinch of salt and olive oil drizzled over. Quite delicious.

I found that having a soup for a starter does take away some of the craving for potatoe in the main meal. Another favourite of mine is green lentil and tomato, home made of course!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I mash celariac and swede in equal parts with a little potato all mashed together with a little milk and or cream a knob of butter and a good pinch of ground black pepper.You can sprinkle cheese over the top and grill for a few minutes for a supper dish.
CAROL