Type 1 Ketone

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im type 1 diabetic and my morning sugar level is 14.4 and then i tested my ketones that is 1.5 what do i do anyone can help me please

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add, make sure you are drinking plenty of water :)

Hope you feel better soon.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im type 1 diabetic and my morning sugar level is 14.4 and then i tested my ketones that is 1.5 what do i do anyone can help me please
Your elevated ketones may be the result of a lack of insulin. I'd try and address why your morning BG was 14.4mmol/l and see if your basal insulin dose needs adjusting. Basal rate testing is difficult, awkward and time consuming - although it is essential in fine tuning your doses:

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

The other alternative is to try and get your hands on a Freestyle Libre sensor so you can have graphical representation of your BG; this is especially handy for overnight BG's. You may be able to get on free of charge from your Clinic.

Ketones can also be produced in the absence of food (specifically carbs) or during periods of fasting, such as first thing in the morning. But given that your BG was quite high, I would imagine that your insulin requirements aren't quite met.

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks and been trying to get my diabetes nurse to get me one as my fingers are sore and i alway having problems with my insulin injections