metformin

lola

I had my glucose test and its come back as glucose intolarance . Now aiming to turn things around . Iv been to see my psychiatrist as the medication Im on causes diabetes and will need changing.
Iv read that metformin can be used in pre diabetes and is recommended for those on certain anti psychotics .
Has anyone on here taken metroformin for glucose intolarance .

C

catherinecherub

Hi lola,
I am bumping your post up in the hope that you get a reply from someone who is or has been in your situation.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hey lola,

What is the psychiatric medication you are on? On the Metformin question I only started it when I was diagnosed but my husband has been prescribed it because his sugars were a bit too high but not high enough for him to be diagnosed pre-diabetic or diabetic - just as a precaution to try to prevent any progression. He has taken it for at least a year with no progression to diabetes.

lola

Thanks Cathrine. Hello Daisy thankyou for your reply. Im on Seroquel which the psychiatrist is looking at changing only thing is ,that its a drug that works for me.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Lola, talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire eh?

My diabetes was caused by the long term use of an unrelated drug, prednisolone, a steroid taken for a lung condition.

I would say you have to weigh up the options,you say your present drug regime is working for you at present but a possible side effect is diabetes. I can only speak for myself but if I had to choose again I would still take the steroid as it saved my life and thankful I am able to control my diabetes with metformin at the moment.

I doubt if your psych would have prescribed a drug that would do more harm than good but if you are concerned you should to speak with him/her again.

And if the worst comes to the worst and you do develop diabetes then you know where to come for the best advice :D

k9kitty

Hi there, do hope you get the medicine for your mental health sorted out quickly. I am sure there will be other suitable medications that you can use with metformin if they prescribe the latter for your glucose intolerance.

Like Sid, I had to have life saving steroids in the past and they can lead to diabetes. Being finally diagnosed can be a relief as you have a name for all those horrible symptoms and you can then do something to control them by adjusting your diet and lifestyle.

I have just taken a look at the contra indications for your current medication and it does say notify your doctor if you have high blood sugar or the symptoms of diabetes because diabetes complications can be serious. I notice it also states that you must not become dehydrated when on seroquel. My leaflet on metformin also states that. That could be the one problem but you can aim to keep hydrated and once the raised blood sugar symptoms are better controlled, excess thirst and perspiration or feeling hot should be lessened if you suffer those. You current drug does have the side affect of upset stomach and metformin can do this the first few days you take it. For this reason, your doc might want to find more suitable medication if going on metformin is right for you and will prevent full blown diabetes from developing.

lola

Thankyou for your replies. It looks like Iv a lot to think about. Iv an appointment with my gp on Thursday and also a letter from my psychiatrist saying she wants blood tests for thyroid and anemia.

It seems once you reach forty[ which I did this March ] :cry: you fall to bits, lol.

k9kitty

Once you hit forty, you start living :)
I am fifty next year and wouldn't go back to my teens ans 20's for anything.
Good luck for Thursday