HbA1c 97 to 39

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've just passed our four year anniversary, LCHF has just become normal, can't imagine anything else, but it really will be a miracle diet if we get through 40 years. Anyone got a recipe for a LC 100th birthday cake?
Congratulations on your success, by the way.
Sally

Husband has been diabetic for 7 and a half years now - he is really proud of me, but also keeps me realistic. 3 months is nothing really - it's a rest of our lives thing, and I know it's not easy to keep on top of everything in the long term.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you yet told your doctor how you did it?

Yes, and she is very happy with my diet. I've seen a dietician and we have had good discussions about carbs. I'm nowhere near as low as a lot of people on here - I eat fruit and veg - but with strict portion control. I do eat cereal most days for breakfast - that is my main amount of carbs for the day. It raises my BG a bit now (it spiked much higher in the early days), but is right down after 2 hours - but then again, I have exercised before eating breakfast and I am very active in my job (Nursery teacher) - and think that helps me burn the carb quickly. And as I said in my first post - I am being very strict on all other carbs for the rest of the day. I've not had a biscuit since March, and I've had little slithers of cake on maybe 3 or 4 occasions (family birthdays).

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done, you have proved that diabetes can be controlled by mostly keeping to the standard NHS advice.

Exercised before eating breakfast will prime your muscles to take up the blood glucose and store it as glycogen and if you are active enough for the rest of the day you will use up a lot of the glycogen, so the next days before breakfast exercise will have to partly be powered by fat.. Having carbs only once a day should put your body into "fat burning mode" for some of each day.

We all have a level of carbs that our body/lifestyle can cope with without giving us insulin resistance, having less than that amount helps breaks the insulin resistance cycle, more and we slowly get worse insulin resistance. The “safe” level of carbs can change over our life. At present there is no agreement between “low carb researchers” about how to measure this level, or even if it can be measured without first having to wait for it all to go wrong. (Before and after meal BG tests only tells us if we are a lot over this level if your BG peaks too much after most meals.)

I have decided to avoid most carbs (apart from a lot of above ground veg), this allows me to ignore portion control. After all I like eggs,cheese,salmon,etc a lot more then I like cereal. But I don’t have to limit what I have for breakfast to what I can eat in a school staff room.

Reactions: Prem51

Bessie44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm very happy with my first HbA1c since my diagnosis at the start of April.

I eat a lowish carb diet - more grains than some, but no potatoes/rice/pasta and very little bread. Also I am being very careful with fats - very little animal fat, but more relaxed about plant based fats.

I walk every day and swim 3 or 4 times a week.

I've lost 30.4kg.

Everything seems to be going in the right direction for now - just have to keep this up for another 40 years :)
Well done you have obviously worked hard.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm very happy with my first HbA1c since my diagnosis at the start of April.

I eat a lowish carb diet - more grains than some, but no potatoes/rice/pasta and very little bread. Also I am being very careful with fats - very little animal fat, but more relaxed about plant based fats.

I walk every day and swim 3 or 4 times a week.

I've lost 30.4kg.

Everything seems to be going in the right direction for now - just have to keep this up for another 40 years :)
Fantastic!!!

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an inspiration!! Well done. Ps, love the name, those books are a firm favourite.

Hubby and I have been huge Belgariad fans since the 80's :) I've been Pol/Polgara/Aunt Pol online since the dawn of the internet :D