Type 2 Normal BG but high HBA1C

markb23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am new to the group and looking for some advice if possible, I had severe pancreatitis last year with 50% necrosis. I had my Hba1c tested in Feb and it was 43 but fasting glucose came back normal. I have just had them retested and again fasting glucose normal but now Hba1c 48. Also I was in hospital for a week in March and they tested bloods after every meal and it was always normal. Why is my Hba1c level going up but all blood sugar tests show normal?

Any ideas much appreciated
Mark

Reactions: Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As far as I understand, the HbA1c is counted roughly at 90 day intervals (if there are continuing high readings) because red blood cells live about that long so it might be the case that your lower readings havn't yet made an impact on your HbA1c yet, if that makes sense.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe the lower carb eating style could help not overusing your remaining function of your pancreas . And maybe even more if you did the Intermittent fasting as a Daily routine like not eating from for instance after 18 o'clock untill next midday around 11 or 12 o'clock Then you help also your insuline to be in a low level for many hours of the day and This also could maybe help take some of the burden off your hard working pancreas