Why are my post meal numbers lower than my fasting?

sec123

Hi,
I do not have diabetes however I have been monitoring my blood sugar levels. My fasting blood sugar this morning was 4.9. I then ate two pieces of brown toast and tested two hours after and my level was 4.4. Isn't your blood sugar supposed to increase? Does this mean something is wrong?
Thankyou

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I do not have diabetes however I have been monitoring my blood sugar levels. My fasting blood sugar this morning was 4.9. I then ate two pieces of brown toast and tested two hours after and my level was 4.4. Isn't your blood sugar supposed to increase? Does this mean something is wrong?
Thankyou

the reason why our numbers are higher in the mornings is mainly because our liver dumps some glucose early in the mornings and this is not directly a raise from eating..this is a natural raise that in many seems to be stopped by the first meal of the day, type 2 diabetics seems to have more frequently an overactive liver dumping much more glucose into the blood in the mornings...

your numbers are great , and yes it is a very normal phenomenon

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Thankyou

That is perfect. There is nothing wrong. You have ideal non-diabetic numbers. I suggest you put your meter away.

Reactions: ringi

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sec123 ,

The numbers are looking good!
Fasting number could be down to liver dump or a slight .5 variant on the meter interpretation?

You mentioned in another thread an A1c of 33.
I'm not a doctor, but again. Looking good...

sec123

the reason why our numbers are higher in the mornings is mainly because our liver dumps some glucose early in the mornings and this is not directly a raise from eating..this is a natural raise that in many seems to be stopped by the first meal of the day, type 2 diabetics seems to have more frequently an overactive liver dumping much more glucose into the blood in the mornings...

your numbers are great , and yes it is a very normal phenomenon

Oh okay that makes sense thankyou :)

Reactions: Jaylee
B

badcat

Your numbers are perfect
No home BG meter is 100% accurate and all are less accurate than lab tests would be. Its not a big problem and home meters still give a very useful indication of levels / control etc but all meters have a tolerance level of around 10-15%, So say your blood sugar measured by a lab test was 4.5, it could come out as anything between 4 and 5 on a home meter.