accu chek insight

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys. I may be getting the accu chek insight but there are mixed reviews so i dont really know what to do since i dont have many pump options. If anyone currently has the pump can you tell me whats good about it and whats bad about it??
Also does it have many alarms due to errors/failures??

Reactions: Snapsy

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tagging @Snapsy for you as she has it and likes it :)

I can't remember if it was you I replied to or another member, but I had the Insight and hated it so much I gave it back.

My advice is to google lots about the pumps on offer, read reviews, watch videos - and then go for what suits you. Make a list of what's important to you and each pump's pros and cons :)

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I can't remember if it was you I replied to or another member, but I had the Insight and hated it so much I gave it back.

My advice is to google lots about the pumps on offer, read reviews, watch videos - and then go for what suits you. Make a list of what's important to you and each pump's pros and cons :)
the only ones are 640g and the insight. I do not whatsoever want the 640g as i saw it and i found it massive and its really only useful if you are using cgm. So my only choice is the insight and there are literally no videos on it and the very minimal videos there are are in another language. Also when you gave your pump back,how long did you have it for and did you get another pump and was it a long process to get another if so?

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had the insight since April and I love it :) I haven't had any alarms or errors so far. I like: the fact it is small and looks a bit more sleek and modern than the others I was offered, that it has a remote so I can tuck it away under my clothes and use it without having to pull it out everytime. It has pre-filled cartridges so I don't need to faff around trying to fill them from vials. The remote is also the glucose meter and it is easy to program the pump it. I dislike: the remote is slow which can be extremely frustrating. This is my first pump so I don't have anything to compare with so I suspect I would have loved the medtronic too if I had gone for that one. But I know how you feel, I stressed so much over trying to decide which one I wanted but I wouldn't change my decision at all.

Reactions: Picci and Snapsy

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the insight since April and I love it :) I haven't had any alarms or errors so far. I like: the fact it is small and looks a bit more sleek and modern than the others I was offered, that it has a remote so I can tuck it away under my clothes and use it without having to pull it out everytime. It has pre-filled cartridges so I don't need to faff around trying to fill them from vials. The remote is also the glucose meter and it is easy to program the pump it. I dislike: the remote is slow which can be extremely frustrating. This is my first pump so I don't have anything to compare with so I suspect I would have loved the medtronic too if I had gone for that one. But I know how you feel, I stressed so much over trying to decide which one I wanted but I wouldn't change my decision at all.
imagine a life with very minimal alarms! Im on the cellnovo and i have had 30 alarms so far and only been on it for 2 and half months! Alot of people are saying the insight handset is so slow but when i was shown the pumps avalible at first i played around with the handset and the handset seemed like an iphone screen compared to the cellnovo screen which takes agesss.The handset being slow isnt that much of a problem to me since ive put up with the cellnovo handset

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @IceLover !

I do love my pump, @azure is right! :)

Pros
  • Small and easy to wear
  • Remote control/meter/bolus calculator handset is easy to navigate
  • Hosepipe outlet is sleek and attractive - there's no big sticky outy bit for the hosepipe to stick out of
  • Comfy cannulas (I use Flex, which I apply using a Flex Assist inserter gadget)
  • I don't have to fiddle with it if I don't want to - I can drive it using just the handset
  • I can fiddle with it and press buttons directly on the pump if I want to, though, which I do sometimes
  • Prefilled cartridges mean I don't have to fill a reservoir with a syringe
  • Excellent customer service support

Cons
  • Handset can be slow to respond
  • 1.6ml cartridge might be an issue for those on large doses so need bigger capacity (NOT a problem for me, though)
  • Handset hard to read in bright light, particularly outside
  • I'm on my third handset as the on-off switch on my first two failed - this did NOT affect my safe use of the pump, though

The thing that may be affecting my opinion of it
It's my first pump, so it's so life changing that I can't view it as anything other than perfect

I know that @Gaz-M has, and @Type1Lad had, problems with bubbles. I haven't.

I didn't have a choice for my pump (I was told about one other they offer at my diabetes centre but they wouldn't recommend it due to a large number of failures) and am very happy with it. When the Insight was first recommended to me it was on the strength of its excellent (and, I gather, clever) bolus calculating, which my team were very taken with (although I don't know the ins and outs of its mathematics!).

Love it.

:p

Reactions: Picci

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the only ones are 640g and the insight. I do not whatsoever want the 640g as i saw it and i found it massive and its really only useful if you are using cgm. So my only choice is the insight and there are literally no videos on it and the very minimal videos there are are in another language. Also when you gave your pump back,how long did you have it for and did you get another pump and was it a long process to get another if so?

I don't remember exactly how long I had the Insight, but it was somewhere between 1 and 3 weeks. I was so shocked by it after my old pump, that I removed the Insighf (and quite literally cried with relief) and put my old pump back on, which I still had fortunately.

I told the hospital and we agreed that I should have the Vibe (I also considered the Medtronic). I then just had to wait for a brief training session and then went onto the Vibe. I'm very happy with it.

My clinic now no longer offers the Insight. I understand this is because of the safety issues/alerts with it.

The only thing I liked about the Insight was that it looked good, but the disadvantages outweighed that a million times over for me.

Deanc883

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @IceLover,

I have had my Insight pump for 10 months and I love it.

I can't compare as this is my first pump. So far I've only had one occlusion in the cannula, no faults with pump or the metre.

The speed of the metre is only slow compared to a modern phone. Speed hasn't been an issue for me.

Controlling the pump via the metre is a bonus when there are people around you, as it looks like a small mobile phone.

I agree with all snapsys' pro's and wish you good luck.

Regards
Dean

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I do like the pump but still having airbubble issues with it, tried storing the cartridges in different parts of the fridge but nothing changes, have to bleed out bubbles first thing in the morning (every morning) and again later in the day

Reactions: Deanc883

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@IceLover you inspired me to make a video of using the handset! As I was equally frustrated with the lack of reviews when I was trying to research it. That way you can judge if it would be a problem or not for you. It is here:

Reactions: himtoo

philipking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been on the Insight for nearly three years and agree with almost all the +ves and -ves above. No real complaints and nothing that can't be overcome. I'm now using Freestyle Libre sensors so no longer use the handset and control the pump directly.

jimbocolvie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love the insight but its my 1st pump so have nothing to compare it to. I have had to get the hanset replaced but roche did this withing 24hours and had a few issues with bubbles bit apart from that all good.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @IceLover - I too have the Insight & am really pleased with it. It has been my 1st pump & I've had it for 15 months. I had the handset replaced in April due to it being faulty but again it was sent the next day. Roche were excellent! I agree with what previous posters have said. The handset can be slow but overall I'm really pleased with it. Keep us posted

Reactions: Picci

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One of the best things about the 640G, which I know you don't like, is that you can set it up so that you never hear an alarm, which as far as I am concerned, is awesome!

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people

I’m getting insight in 2 weeks xx if I don’t get on with it can u change it then ?

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Hi guys. I may be getting the accu chek insight but there are mixed reviews so i dont really know what to do since i dont have many pump options. If anyone currently has the pump can you tell me whats good about it and whats bad about it??
Hey did you get the insight pump how did u find it ? I get mine a week Monday I was offered the insight or the 640g medtronic but didn’t want that as thought same as you it looked too bulky x

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love my insight. I've never had a failure or any other problems since getting it in March. I love the handset and everything about it!