background retinopathy

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ive been told that I have background retinopathy has anyone had this or reversed it or its gone away on the following test please private message me

D

Deleted Account

I have had background retinopathy. It has gone away and it has come back. And it has gone away.
My understanding is that your retina scan is checked by human eye. If someone detects something slightly odd, they will probably categorise it as "background retinopathy". The oddity may be really small and the person that check it the next year may not notice it or it may not have been a problem in the first place.
I have been advised not to worry about it as long as I continue to keep my BG under control.

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel

amylh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have background retinopathy, since my second eye screening (2013) and still had it on my recent one, as a result of incredibly poor controlled BG over a 4 year period. As long as you try to control your BG you'll be fine.
I know a lady who is 42 and has always had decent control of BG with a few high phases in her teens, who has background retinopathy also.

FreddyF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been told on my last 3 scans that I have Retinopathy and Maculopathy. The diabetic nurse at my GP practice didn't seem to worry about it too much but I was concerned and booked an appointment with the GP. I have now been referred to an Endocrinologist. I am still in the dark about the level of the problem and if there is anything that I need to be doing. I keep a reasonable control of my BG and and at my last review I was told that my HBA1C was in an acceptable range. I am worried about my sight and any advice would be appreciated. The GP said that there was some cause for concern given my age (44) and now I am even more worried but still have no idea what I can do.

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
I've had background retinopathy for a few years now. I don't notice it on my day to day life. They tell me to come in every 6 months. At one point they considered treatment, thankfully it didn't get to that stage. It's been relatively stable - they want it to be clear, I'm young, but I'm thanking my lucky stars it's not gone worse.

They tell me with good blood sugar control, I'll reverse it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app