cycle to work

hypoglycemia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 3 units levemir in the morning and 10 units at night and cycle 12 miles to work and get to work at 5.45am, I hypo at 7.24 am and take 20 grams of dextrose and hypo again at 9.40 am and take another 20 grams of dextrose. I know it is definetely the basal insulin that is to blame so can I stop taking the morning dose of levemir if reducing my basal further doesn't work?

Last edited:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you eat breakfast? Do you bolus for breakfast?

I would suggest a basal test - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Quite a few people will only do levemir once a day, but I would suggest basal testing because you do have options between 3units and none, especially if you can get a half unit pen.

Also it's worth bearing in mind that levemir is quite flexible, so if you aren't cycling at the weekend you can increase your dose on those days as required.

Reactions: GrantGam and Juicyj

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ate 141 grams of carbs for breakfast and took 9.5 units of Novorapid

So is breakfast and bolus pre or post cycle? If it's post cycle then your bolus might be contributing to the hypos and you might need to consider reducing your post exercise I:C ratio

D

Deleted Account

I would be more likely to take less bolus for breakfast as your basal is to last for 12 hours not just for cycling.
As you start to tune your insulin, exercise and carb needs you could try taking very dilute squash to drink instead of water to maintain your BG level. In the past someone has suggested it is babe idea to take more sugar. However, the amount I am talking is a squirt per 500ml which you can barely taste and will not undo the good of a 12 mile cycle ride.
Alternatively, you could take a bar (or part of your breakfast) to eat when you arrive and reduce you I:c ratio for that snack.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hypoglycemia . Definitely need to access basal and I:C ratios.
Hypo, 20 grams dextrose and then hypo again 2 hrs later. Not sure what diet plan you follow but maybe when you hypo you should consider something more than just dextrose

hypoglycemia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reduced my basal to 1 unit and my bolus to 0.3units:1cp and still got a hypo but not as bad unfortunately I got an infection and blood sugars are through the roof.

Gary Thom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going a 12 mile cycle will severely reduce your insulin requirements. Try halfing the bolus and go from there.

Also you could try having less carbs and more protein and fats at breakfast to reduce your bolus requirements. Getting the bolus correct will always be difficult if you eat 141g of carbs in one go! Add in the effect of the exercise and it will be even harder.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 3 units levemir in the morning and 10 units at night and cycle 12 miles to work and get to work at 5.45am, I hypo at 7.24 am and take 20 grams of dextrose and hypo again at 9.40 am and take another 20 grams of dextrose. I know it is definetely the basal insulin that is to blame so can I stop taking the morning dose of levemir if reducing my basal further doesn't work?
It would be virtually impossible for me to go for a 12 mile cycle after 140g carbs and the CORRECT amount of bolus to go with it.

I'd agree with the others that you should reduce your bolus amount. For a cycle that length, I'd probably need about 40g carbs which ironically ties in with what you took to treat your hypos. Cycling with BOB (bolus insulin on-board) would be a complete disaster and I just wouldn't do it.

-Skip breakfast entirely/take a much reduced quantity of carbs with no insulin. 30/40g and no insulin could well work. It would for me.

-Eat your typical breakfast but take a lot less insulin.