travel

I'm finding these days that there is not much hassle getting ing through airport security when travelling abroad. The issue I do have though is carrying a fruit drink. I have been insulin diabetic for nearly 40 years and I am neurotic about having something sweet / sugary on me at ALL times. My preferred option is a carton of fruit juice. When I travelled through gatwick last july my favoured tesco orange juice was swiped from me by a security person with the resounding words." You can only carry juice with you that is 100 ml " OK being the poor insignificant diabetic that I am can any one tell me where it is possible to purchase a 1000 ml of fruit juice I dont care which brand or flavour . do they exist?
ancient

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Copella do a range of apple juice based drinks in 100ml bottles, apple & mango for example is 10.3g carbs so you may still need to take a couple of jelly babys with you as well. Available at Tesco's apparently.

I found that by googling 100ml fruit drinks and it was the first link, theres loads of others :)

Hope this helps

dorsetlad

Dislikes
T2
Why not by the drink once you have passed through security? They are easily available airside.

Brian

Thanks for your advice. For me though the point is that on the one hand I have a medical condition which requires me to have an antidote with me at all times. It is possible to be delayed significantly by security that I go into a hypo. I am type 1 and i have had significant and terrifying hypo's ( let's not forget that insulin was used to control people who had significant mental heath issues they would go into a paralysed frenzy). On the other hand I feel as though my medical condition is being marginalised and is therefore not being taken seriously. I also feel that there is a psychological factor in having diabetes and that is the element of shame best not to complain
. It's a hidden condition and for the most part we look and act normally . So why isnt my condition taken seriously by airport security I carry with me a card saying I have type 1 diabetes and a letter from my GP saying I have diabetes and I am ok to fly. . why am I not taken seriously why do medics tell me I must carry fruit juice with me at all times am i confused or is that medics and security are not talking to one another ?
ancient

iHs

Hi

Like yourself, I've also been diabetic for 40+ years but have never been advised to carry fruit juice around with me to treat feeling hypo :roll: I have not flown for a few years now but when I did, I always made sure that I had some sweets/glucose tabs in my pocket and also a bottle of glucogel in my hand luggage. Don't think I ever had any problems getting through airport security. Another alternative if you dont like sweets, is to carry a small tube (toothpaste size) of glucogel. One tube is equivalent to 10g carb and can only be used once as it is not resealable. You can get it on prescription or buy it from chemist or online.

If you want something really really tiny, GlucoseRapid Spray (about the size of a bottle of nail varnish) is extremely good (it can be used whilst awake or asleep). I have been brought back from the dead :oops: :lol: by my partner who has used about 8 sprays through my teeth to bring me round. His words - it's fantastic stuff. Unfortunately, its not available in the UK but can be bought online in America. I always get my brother to get me some when he goes to the States (work) for 2 weeks so that may be a possibility for you :)

sugar2

Hi...sorry to sound unsympatheic, but why don't you just carry something that you can get through customs? Little can of "Fat" coke? Dextrose tablets? Cereal bars? I know that lquids work quicker....but destrose are pretty fast too?

I would support you 100% is fruit juice was the best solution by far...but there ar many other things that work just as well.

Hi thanks for all the avice have to say that I am playing devil's advocate because I know there are alternative's but my point is why do I have to compromise all the time why is my condition not taken seriously
ancient.

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Hi
How do you pack your insulin to keep cool. I want to carry mine in hand luggage and decided on a small flask cooled with ice cubes in packs which I can throw away at customs and hopefully keep the flask cool until i get to my destination. First time i have done this hope it goes ok. Does insulin quickly go off even though it hasnt been opened if it isnt kept refrigerated.

Thanks
pollyr

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Polly
That's just what I do, except that ice is TOO cold, so I use cool water which has been in fridge overnight and discard from from thermos flask at security check. Then add cool tap water on other side, if it's available. Some people use Frio packs, but I find a small stainless steel flask is much cheaper, more versatile (can use it for carrying hot drinks once insulin is safe in shade / fridge at destination) and offers more physical defence for insulin against breakage from knocks / squashing etc.
Check you patient information leaflet, but most insulin is OK to be kept at room temp (assumed to be not lower than 0oC, which is colder than fridge, and not higher than 28oC) for 28 days, regardless of whether cartridge has been opened or not.

iHs

Hi

Just to add a bit more to what has already been said..... When I have gone abroad I've just put insulin inside a small sandwich plastic bag and wrapped it up with elastic band and then wrapped a wet, cold face flannel around the bag and put that into another plastic band and then wrapped some newspaper around the small bundle to act as insulator and secure with elastic bands. I've never had insulin go off at all. When arriving at holiday destination, insulin gets put in a supermarket carrier bag with a can of beans to weigh it down and then put in bidet filled up with cold water. Insulin stays all ok and no need to worry about fridge. Even when taking bolus insulin out during the day, it will still be all ok wrapped up in a cold flannel.

Frio bags are all ok but they are expensive and all they are really is a glorified swell gell that can be put in plant containers to stop them from drying out quickly.

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Hi everyone and thankyou, there are some good tips here and it has given me loads of ideas

Pollyr