Hba1c before and after pump?

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What was your hba1c before starting pumping and after?

I know for some people they go on a pump to help with hypos in which case there might not be a drop in a1c. But I thought it would be interesting to see if and how pumping has affected people's hba1c ☺

Reactions: Snapsy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @saruhbeau - moving on to a pump alone didn't affect my Hba1C, as it was already around 5.8%-6.0%, however, it did make achieving it less of an effort, which was the main reason for me going on to it in the first place.

Reactions: Kristin251

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly the same as @tim2000s , @saruhbeau in terms of ease (relative to MDI, I mean) of achieving an HbA1c in target range since starting on my pump.

Mine was 44 pre-pump, then went down to 42 three months after my pump start, then 46, then 42, then 36 (owing to quite a few exercise-related hypos as pumping had given me the confidence to start running and gymming. I think I've got that sorted now, though).

:)

(Edited, after having looked up correct HbA1c history!)

Reactions: Kristin251

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly not as good as those above but on MDI my last HbA1c was 67, and a year and a half in with a pump I'm maintaining 52. So whilst not as good as I would like it to be, a massive improvement :)

Raybis

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I know for some people they go on a pump to help with hypos in which case there might not be a drop in a1c. But I thought it would be interesting to see if and how pumping has affected people's hba1c

Mine was 7 then I became ill I was building antibodies to the insulin I was on the pork and bovine insulin even on MDI could not get below 8.5 now 5.8 have not had one over 6.8 in 8years.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that a low hba1c is not a good predictor of how long someone with diabetes will live. The best predictor of length of life seems to be how little insulin is used, but having a "reasonable" hba1c is a good predictor of avoiding complication. Therefore it is a balancing act.

(The study was done in the USA, therefore I assume no one in the steady had a very high hba1c or BG that was totally out of control with very large swings.)

So does a pump let someone get a "reasonable" hba1c (often lower than they were getting before) without greatly increasing the total insulin used?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So does a pump let someone get a "reasonable" hba1c (often lower than they were getting before) without greatly increasing the total insulin used?
Hadn't heard of this study, @ringi , about the amount of insulin side of things. I had thought that as the non-diabetic population presumably 'uses' a range of amounts of their own insulin varying within the same individual and indeed between different individuals, the same scenario (ie different amounts for different people) would apply to the diabetic population, based as it is on food eaten and on the demands of the body in question regarding body type, size, activity levels or episodes of illness or whatever.

But looking back, my average TDD on MDI was 32u. The last few days on my pump - *scrolls through data on handset* - I've had 28.5u, 26.1u, 22.4u and 24.3u.

So in answer to your question, in my case, and based on the last four days, I do have a lower HbA1c AND a lower insulin intake than in my days of MDI.

:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The study I recall that was done looked at the joslin 50 year medal recipients.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember that a low hba1c is not a good predictor of how long someone with diabetes will live. The best predictor of length of life seems to be how little insulin is used, but having a "reasonable" hba1c is a good predictor of avoiding complication. Therefore it is a balancing act.

(The study was done in the USA, therefore I assume no one in the steady had a very high hba1c or BG that was totally out of control with very large swings.)

Last time I checked @ringi, there were no debates on this thread regarding HbA1c's and mortality rates...

No idea what your agenda is wrt insulin TDD's and lifespan. But please don't come to a T1 section of the forum and spout nonsense about insulin and it's links to chronic diseases... I have a feeling that's where it's heading as I've seen if a few times before in cross posts...

If I've jumped the gun then I apologise in advance, but it's best this is nipped in the bud before it grows arms and legs.

Reactions: Picci

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last time I checked @ringi, there were no debates on this thread regarding HbA1c's and mortality rates...

No idea what your agenda is wrt insulin TDD's and lifespan. But please don't come to a T1 section of the forum and spout nonsense about insulin and it's links to chronic diseases... I have a feeling that's where it's heading as I've seen if a few times before in cross posts...

If I've jumped the gun then I apologise in advance, but it's best this is nipped in the bud before it grows arms and legs.

Now oddly enough.. That is exactly what the "report" function is for...
It saves two guys sharing popcorn without the experience of pumping, derailing a thread. & another member feeling uneasy regarding a chance enquiry about sumfink that was read.... ;)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now oddly enough.. That is exactly what the "report" function is for...
It saves two guys sharing popcorn without the experience of pumping, derailing a thread. & another member feeling uneasy regarding a chance enquiry about sumfink that was read.... ;)
If there is something you'd wish to say @Jaylee, you're free to reach me via PM. That's if otherwise you may feel that the thread could end up somewhat derailed...

I'll be sure to bash the report button more regularly in the future.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

I know for some people they go on a pump to help with hypos in which case there might not be a drop in a1c. But I thought it would be interesting to see if and how pumping has affected people's hba1c ☺
Hi @saruhbeau
oddly - my HbA1c has gone up since starting on a pump
before pumping I was consistently between 5.7% - 5.9% ( 39 - 41 )
but since pumping it has been a steady 6.4% - 6.5% ( 46 - 47 )

I have less hypos and the hypos I do have are shallower, requiring much less treatment ( if that makes sense )
and it is quite rare for me to go above my top BG target of 9.5

my TDD ( total daily dose ) has reduced from around 68-70 units per day on MDI
to around 54 - 56 units on my pump

Reactions: GrantGam and Snapsy