diet confusion

jokeav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type two diabetic and am supposed to be diet controlled. I must confess that i make little attemp to monitor my diet and eat chocolate every day as i have done all my life. I was diagnosed a few years ago and see the nurse annually and all has been well. However, i recently acquired a monitor and have tested my blood sugar for a couple of days. The last test taken after lunch was 10.5 which after reading your letters is obviously to high.
I know I should restrict sugar but is the low GI diet the best to follow ???
It is all so tricky and there are so many contradictions!!!

C

catherinecherub

Hi jokeav and welcome to the forum.
Nobody can advise you as to what the best diet is for management of diabetes. We are individuals and have to use trial and error at the beginning.
As you have your best friends, a meter and test strips you need to keep a food diary and see which foods are affecting your blood sugars. It is carbohydrates that most people have to restrict to varying degrees. Try cutting down the portion size if it affects your blood sugars and if it still does then that is one of the ones to eliminate. An example, two slices of bread maybe too much whereas if you make an open sandwich it might be OK.
This article may help,

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161547.php It is a bit technical in places.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Your test meter will not cause contradictions. I would go by what readings you get. If you Love chocolate, try the very high cocoa solids lower sugar version. A GI diet might be right for you. Some people do very well with it. It wasn't for me however. I found low carb worked best. You really have to try things and find your own way by testing..
Hana

jokeav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much for your replies and I found the article extremely useful as no one bothers to explain these things to you on diagnosis.
Like many others I was simply told to avoid sugar and eat carbohydrate and not to bother to much with testing, this is what I have been doing and consequently I have become very complacent about my condition.
As I was feeling very tired I bought a tester and this has caused me to worry about my readings.
I will start a diary and monitor my food intake as you suggested.

Lemmywinks

Still new and still confused, I eat one small bowl of porridge after fast and spike at 11.1. I eat a massive portion of pasta bake with lashings of cheese followed by two large profiteroles and cream and do a test 2 hours later expecting the worst, I peep at the meter expecting it to jump out of my hand and its 5.1. :? :? :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lemmywinks
a high fat content in a meal often slows the digestion of the starch. It's sometimes called "the pizza effect"
Hana

C

catherinecherub

Lemmywinks said:
Still new and still confused, I eat one small bowl of porridge after fast and spike at 11.1. I eat a massive portion of pasta bake with lashings of cheese followed by two large profiteroles and cream and do a test 2 hours later expecting the worst, I peep at the meter expecting it to jump out of my hand and its 5.1. :? :? :D
It may be that porridge is not for you. Some peeps here lessen the effect of the carbohydrate content by adding berries seeds and nuts to a small portion, try that if you love porridge and it might work for you.
The pasta meal would have spiked at 3, possibly 4,5 and 6 hours later.
The main things to remember are portion control of carbohydrates and balancing the meal with other food groups. Some can eat potatoes, bread, rice and pasta in small portions with no effect whilst others have to eliminate all these from their diet. Example, a jacket potato on it's own is not a good idea but add some butter and grated cheese and a salad and you may get away with it. A small portion of rice, a tablespoon, with roast chicken and plenty of vegetables is another possibility.
Exercise is also important, try and fit in 30 mins. per day. It doesn't have to be via a gym membership, walking, cycling, strenuous housework, gardening will do the trick.
Also make sure you do not dehydrate and drink plenty of water and sugar free drinks.
You will get there but it does take a while to know what is the right way forward for you.

anniep

I also find the time of day that I eat the carbohydrate is important. I can't eat carbs in the morning my body doesn't seem to process them at all. Though I can get away with them later in the day, also I can't eat any wheat based or rice carb but I can potatoes.

Our bodies are all different, just test and see is the best way.

Lemmywinks

Thanks everyone, I'll experiment further.
I still find that a good drink of beer occasionaly seems good for diabetes, may be not for the liver but in moderation it seems to work wonders. :D

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Lemmywinks said:
Thanks everyone, I'll experiment further.
I still find that a good drink of beer occasionaly seems good for diabetes, may be not for the liver but in moderation it seems to work wonders. :D

Absolutely.
Try spacing the beers out to not more than once every two hours for maximum control ;-)