Shoes

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
really this is for any ladies out there, whether diabetic or not. The fashion for shoes are stiletto shoes. These can cause sores and you may not see or feel any discomfort. The worse thing that can happen is foot amputation. Please treat your feet wisely .

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only possess one pair of shoes :oops:, and they arent stillettos. Did enough wearing of them when a youngster.

Me I prefer boots or trainers cus I can wear socks with them plus they give me support all around my feet. I only have the shoes as sometimes I wear a dress to go out although the dresses I wear can be worn with boots too.

Thankyou for the advice, good to see some sensible people about

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I am I allowed to say that us fellas (husbands) think you ladies (wives) look lovely in your stilettos:) no offence intended:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it's only young people who don't feel discomfort in stilettos? I was never able to wear heels for long, and my tolerance for them is diminishing as I get older. Everyone's got their own sense of style, but personally I think that you can be fashionable AND comfortable. Sure, I got flak when I recently brought home a pair of light blue oxfords ("Why are you wearing man shoes?"), but when worn with khaki capris and a crisp white button-down shirt, I feel super cool (hat tip to Diane Keaton circa "Annie Hall"). Love the memory foam-cushioned footbed too. Sure, my boyfriend isn't a fan, but he hasn't walked a mile in stilettos ...

Last edited by a moderator:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe it's only young people who don't feel discomfort in stilettos? I was never able to wear heels for long, and my tolerance for them is diminishing as I get older. Everyone's got their own sense of style, but personally I think that you can be fashionable AND comfortable. Sure, I got flak when I recently brought home a pair of light blue oxfords ("Why are you wearing man shoes?"), but when worn with khaki capris and a crisp white button-down shirt, I feel super cool (hat tip to Diane Keaton circa "Annie Hall"). Love the memory foam-cushioned footbed too. Sure, my boyfriend isn't a fan, but he hasn't walked a mile in stilettos ...
I dare you, buy him a pair and make him walk that mile!!!:D

alison.81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could never walk in them or any heels. I do like wedges though, not as boring as flat shoes.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I don't do stilettos, but like to wear heels occasionally. White cotton socks would only be worn under trainers! Although the advice is spot on for those who have foot issues or lack of sensation, I can't see the problem for those who don't.

Best thing is to wash and dry feet carefully, and keep an eye out for any loss of sensation.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never worn a pair of stilettos in my life. I recently read a news article where an agency worker was let go because she wouldn't wear high heels... my immediate thought was "I'd be stuffed then".
I used to wear low heels years ago, but haven't been able to wear anything but flats for a while now, much to the chagrin of half the girly girls that I work with.
Luckily, hubby is on the short side, so doesn't give two hoots about me not wearing heels... doesn't want me catching him up in height.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wore stilettos as a teenager or should say carried them because I took them off to dance and carried them on the walk.home
CAROL

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
I just wanted to add something as I started this thread. I was born in 1950 and when I was a little girl I tried to wear my mums shoes. Those were the days of high stilettos. My mum made me wear round toe flat shoes with socks my mums generation had to put up with continuous corns, also she had terrible bunions which had to be operated on. I think she realised what her footwear had done to her and most ladies in her age group had the same problems. I have never had a corn in my life. I just want to say R.I.P. Mum and thank you for insisting I didn't wear shoes.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wore moderate heels sometimes when I was younger but as I gained weight I moved back to mainly flat or wedge leather shoes with a cushioned footbed, but then I have wide feet and so have never really been able to wear extremely fashionable shoes.

I think I was frightened about heels at an early age by my aunt (who always wore pointy toed high heels) who had such bad bunions that she needed operations, and she was only about 5 foot tall and weighed about 8 stone :(

M

mist

I want to get fluffy boots for mustard..:cat:

September-07-2012-20-41-12-vd.jpeg

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
See you all later need to do the doggy walk now!

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Funnily enough, I once went to see a podiatrist for gait analysis and to have orthotics made, as I was getting into running but was getting ITBS.
The shoes he recommended were - New Balance.
For walking my favourites and most comfortable are the Nike Free 5.0 series
The other thing you could try are a good pair of trail shoes from an outdoor shop, such as those recommended - Trespass, Mountain Warehouse or Cotswold - or an independent outdoor shop if you are near one - however they will just be as pricey as the New Balance, if not more so.