Problem with Novo Pen

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently had this with my novopen echo. I find that changing the needle or simply unscrewing it and then putting it back on helps. If this keeps on happening, order a new one from the hospital that you have your appointments at. Or just get an echo or a 5 lol

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like there are skins available for echo but not sure from Novo site how you actually get them. Alterative is Silver Novopen 5?
Found it - tel: 01293 613555, they will put through to Switchboard - "select option 1". = "They now have 4 skins available for Free, in the UK = Orange, Green, Butterflies, Footballs.
1f642.png

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently had this with a NovoRapid pen. Despite changing needles couldn't get it to work at all, catastrophic failure of mechanism. Took it to the pharmacist who supplies my prescription and it was replaced, no quibbles, so guess this is a recognised issue. In Scotland you can get an emergency supply of medication from a pharmacy anywhere at the discretion of the pharmacist, there must be a similar system available in England. They contact your GP, usually for confirmation of your prescription. You can also contact NHS 24 in Scotland out of hours, and get a emergency prescription issued and filled at a late night pharmacy or at the out of hours centre you visit.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Looks like there are skins available for echo but not sure from Novo site how you actually get them. Alterative is Silver Novopen 5?

Got to be 1/2 unit. Silver ones arent. Only full units..(I believe)...

I have plasters stuck on them with tresiba or insulatard written on them and inside case but at 4am I am not fully with it or 8am to be honest..

Ev night they are lined up in order with daily book saying how much to take for each.

I've had to take so many different regimes in past 10 months that its been hard unless I write down and leave so I can see what I'm meant to take.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just be safe @donnellysdogs and do whatever you have to do. As a side I took a small dose at 6:15 and stopped the rise. Though I am also getting into the end of a gum infection. But it worked!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wish I could get to 6.15 without rising too high even by that time. My insukatard shot is good then though as it isnt working too quickly like a bolus shot did. It also kicks in 4 hours later working peak to 8hrs later which helps the rises I get from 8am and therefore need smaller amount of bolus.

Going back to my pen snapping. I thought it had a problem for a couple weeks before but had never experienced a pen failure before so actually put it down to my body, not the pen... gggrrr.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let me clarify that for you. The NovoPen5 and NovoPen Echo have been recalled due to issues. The NovoPen4 has not not. An Eli Lilly pen would also require a change of insulin from NovoRapid to Humalog.

@Copernicus - your best bet in that scenario is to go to your nearest pharmacy, buy a bag of syringes for about a pound and withdraw insulin from the penfill using those.
I got novopen echo and did have problems but not all the time.

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Had the same problem when I ordered a spare novo pen,basically pen came damaged from manufacturers, couldn't put insulin cartridge into pen

Kessi

Anyone else ever encounter this before ?
Yesterday I was out in the wilds of Northumberland with my family when we stopped for some lunch. tested my blood and saw it was a little high, around 8.4 so decided to take some insulin. Imagine my horror when I found that my Novo Pen would not work, the piston that pushed the insulin out of the ampule just did not move. Decided that we had to head back quickly I headed to North Tyneside General Hospital which has a diabetic clinic attached. Journey took about 45 mins, checked blood again and it had risen to 13.6. Went into clinic explained to the receptionist what had happened and asked for a replacement Novo Pen. He said that they did not supply them and did not keep them and I would have to get one on a prescription from my G.P. I tested my blood again, now 18.7 showed him the result and said that I really needed some insulin. He went off and came back about 10 mins later, he claimed he had spoken to the "head nurse" who had told him that I couldn't have one even if they had one in stock. When I challenged him on this he admitted that they did have some but that they were only for patients who had been admitted.
I rang my G.P.s surgery only to be told that there were no Doctor's on site but that an emergency prescription would be issued later that day, which in fairness it was. I then rang around as many Pharmacies as I could find in the area and none had any Novo pens in stock and I was told that once they had a prescription then it would take 2 days to arrive. As an emergency measure I had to go home and use a syringe to extract some insulin from a Novo Pen ampule to get my bloods under control and now I am having to switch round my daytime, nightime insulin between 1 pen until my new one arrives.
What a farce and what I consider to be very poor service from North Tyuneside General Hospital. I have emailed a complaint to them but don't expect a reply.
Anyone else had similar problems ?
I always keep a spare pen with me especially when away, just buy one or get a spare on prescription, it just stops all the worry and you have it with you! It sounded pretty awful that nobody help as you could have been really ill

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar panic out of surgery hours, and a call to 111 had a prescription winging its way to Sainsbury's/Lloyds chemist (closer than my surgery) that I was able to collect within a couple of hours. So the mechanism is there, maybe wouldn't find a chemist with one in stock very close, but might be a useful option in the future.

As @Kessi says - hold spare stock of everything. Pre Libre days I had 2 Accucheck Mobiles, always order more insulin as soon as I open the last box, etc. I don't use any more but don't get stressed.

Grandma and eggs spring to mind. Sorry!