Wine and ketosis

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
recently I've had a taste for some white wine. I realize there's carbs in it so I bolus for those. I keep bloods good through the night until I start my rise around 4 am. Since the wine ( I THINK) my fastings have been MUCH higher. Could it be the wine is giving me way too many carbs than I'm used to? Kicking me out of ketosis? But why should it effect me that many hours later?

Maybe the same as when I over eat protein and have higher fastings.

Ideas? Thought?

Reactions: donnellysdogs
D

Deleted Account

I know these things affect different people in different ways. But alcohol usually causes my BG To drop during the night.
Is it possible that you have gone hypo in the night and not woken so your body has taken over and released too much glycogen which has caused your fasting BG to be higher?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know these things affect different people in different ways. But alcohol usually causes my BG To drop during the night.
Is it possible that you have gone hypo in the night and not woken so your body has taken over and released too much glycogen which has caused your fasting BG to be higher?
Alcohol like vodka cause a drop for sure. Wine has the carbs.
I have been testing recently and I was dropping into the 50-60 range but a spoonful of avocado before bed stopped that. Now I'm just getting the huge spike after 4:30. Some nights I have an ounce of chilled vodka before bed to help me sleep. Haven't done that th least fee nights. That could fit into the equation too!!

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny--wine causes mine to drop too. It's very few carbs in most wines (like 4g in a glass). Does this also happen when you bolus for another bedtime snack with similar amount of carbs?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I am not saying she is correct -- but my DSN says never to bolus for wine as the carbs in a dry white ( 1.5 carb ) per 125ml glass
and red wine ( 0.5 carb ) per 125ml glass will not raise bloods -- I find for me she is correct

as you are on a pretty near zero daily carb intake -- perhaps the wine is reacting in your body differently

getting up to test at intervals through the night will provide the answer

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do bolus 1/2 unit for wine and an ounce of cheese. I have two glasses of Chardonnay and it has 4 carbs. No fiber of course. I would never bolus for vodka and would still need a fat protein snack. I've tried bolusing and not bolusing. I need to bolus. Then we eat dinner about an hour later and I just bolus for my food. Then lantus before bed

A scoop of avocado before bed with no bolus, just lantu stopped the drop

Last night I took my losartan ( BP med) before bed and stayed rock steady even until fasting. I was up an hour earlier than normal but hey, I'll take it!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think wine stops the liver dumping, but if in ketosis all the time, the liver will not have much to dump.

Reactions: hels

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think wine stops the liver dumping, but if in ketosis all the time, the liver will not have much to dump.
I don't have much to dump but I guess the game is over. Since white wine ( even red) I'm getting frequent headaches. Back to vodka Sad. I really enjoyed Butter Chardonnay. I keep giving everything up in the name of diabetes. Annoying but the life I live now. Could be worse right?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think there's quite a lot of variation in the residual sugars in Chardonnay though, according to the different styles, so is it possible that you may have better luck with wine from a different maker/ region? If you could get one with a higher percentage of alcohol you might have more luck- the ones under 11% versus the 12%+ for example.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there's quite a lot of variation in the residual sugars in Chardonnay though, according to the different styles, so is it possible that you may have better luck with wine from a different maker/ region? If you could get one with a higher percentage of alcohol you might have more luck- the ones under 11% versus the 12%+ for example.
Haha. I have to laugh. I just checked my bottle of my favorite and its 14.8%. That should do huh??

I seriously think it's causing my recent headaches. Even after just a few ounces. I'll keep testing. I'm not a quitter. Haha

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok. Not sure it's the headaches are from wine. It's 10:30 am and I just got one. They're small but noticeable. I certainly haven't had wine yet today.

Maybe I should!!! Could be lack of wine haha

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok. Not sure it's the headaches are from wine. It's 10:30 am and I just got one. They're small but noticeable. I certainly haven't had wine yet today.

Maybe I should!!! Could be lack of wine haha

Wine de-hydrates. Maybe you need more non-alcoholic fluids. ;) A glass of water before bed, and one on your bedside table for little sips if you wake up might do the trick

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
14-15% should be just the ticket, as long as there's no added sugar or whatnot.
I suppose just keep testing away- it's all in the name of scientific research!

Olivemay62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snobs,liars,animal or people children cruelty,
I do bolus 1/2 unit for wine and an ounce of cheese. I have two glasses of Chardonnay and it has 4 carbs. No fiber of course. I would never bolus for vodka and would still need a fat protein snack. I've tried bolusing and not bolusing. I need to bolus. Then we eat dinner about an hour later and I just bolus for my food. Then lantus before bed

A scoop of avocado before bed with no bolus, just lantu stopped the drop

Last night I took my losartan ( BP med) before bed and stayed rock steady even until fasting. I was up an hour earlier than normal but hey, I'll take it!
What's bolus please?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What's bolus please?

It's a complicated rope with three balls attached to three ends and another end you hold.
Used by Gauchos to throw at the legs of cattle to trip them up and catch them.
I think.........

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What's bolus please?
I bolus 1/2 unit for two glasses of Chardonnay and. Apiece of cheese to has fat and protein to slow the carbs. Then normal bolus for dinner.
Note: I take very small boluses for meals. 1/2-1 unit depending where I am and I'm also vlc which can make a big difference. I suggest having your wine without insulin. Test. See if it raises you or not. More than one day of course as the wind does blow and nothing is the same. Error on the side of caution.

Spirits with no mixers other than water I would never bolus for. And I need a small snack to keep me from dropping.

You need to test.

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you've found your answer, Kristin, without my answer.
There's a lot of comments on the web and in books about how much carbohydrate there is in alcohol and having to take insulin to counteract it and all that. Fundamentally, unless it's something like an alcopop with loads of sugar in it, don't count the carbs in alcohol. since you're not counting the carbs, don't bolus for it. Alcohol lowers the blood glucose anyway, so taking insulin as well will stand a good chance of inducing a hypo.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you've found your answer, Kristin, without my answer.
There's a lot of comments on the web and in books about how much carbohydrate there is in alcohol and having to take insulin to counteract it and all that. Fundamentally, unless it's something like an alcopop with loads of sugar in it, don't count the carbs in alcohol. since you're not counting the carbs, don't bolus for it. Alcohol lowers the blood glucose anyway, so taking insulin as well will stand a good chance of inducing a hypo.
Thanks. I don't count carbs as I don't eat them so I'm very keto adapted. I inject for protein. Spirits lower me and wine raises me. Tested enough to know. At 5 with my wine I also have some cheese so 1\2 unit works great. Often with a slight rise but mopped up at dinner. I have never once dropped with wine.
Even though there are few carbs in wine it can probably kick me out of ketosis. I eat less than 20 carbs per day so I am extremely carb sensative.

It's all a work in progress. Figures I continue with white wine until the weather gets colder. 59 today!!!! Yuk. I'm sure it's just a blip in our summer but fall is in the air in mornings now. Just not this bad