Integrating monitors with smart-home technology

BurningFuse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This article was published yesterday, on the challenges of integrating monitoring with existing smart-home technology:

http://www.cepro.com/article/type_1_diabetes_iot_home_automation_disease_management_ihiji

Imagine the day when you can say "Alexa, what's my blood-sugar level", or have an IFTTT recepie to blink your lights when you're going high/low.

I work in the smart-buildings field, am very newly diagnosed as T2 myself, and will be keeping a keen eye on this type of tech with interest!

In the meantime, does anyone here use any technology that enables their monitoring to go further than just a read-out/number?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @BurningFuse Not only can Alexa tell me my current glucose level, she can also tell me what I'm predicted to be...!

I'm also aware of people that have used one of the skills to wake them up in the morning and announce glucose level on waking.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
an IFTTT recepie to blink your lights when you're going high/low.
I'm also aware of a couple of people using Hue lighting that changes colour when their glucose levels are not in range, one of whom uses it to wake their partner overnight.

Added to that, I've got an IFTTT recipe that picks up when I enter exercise into an app and adjusts my OpenAPS temp target accordingly, so that I have reduced basal insulin going through. There's a lot of people doing a lot of things in the Diabetes world with this tech.

Reactions: BurningFuse