How often do you get High Sugar?

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am wondering how often you get high sugar. I get them a lot but I don't think every day. Quite a bit.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @nathanw777 To put your mind at ease.. I woke at 13.7 mmol/ this morning, still high now, some days I can stay under 9 all day fine and others I can run high too, what I always try to look for is patterns with my numbers, so running high at the same time on 2 consecutive days. If you're seeing this then alert your team or you mum to review :)

D

Deleted Account

Depends when I measure my BG and what you consider high.
If I am just finger pricking before meals, I can get through days without any readings above 7.
If I have a sensor on (Libre or Dexom), I often see high readings around 10.0 within an hour of eating ... and as I snack throughout the day, this is quite often.

I get very high BG (above 15) about once a fortnight.

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
I've yet to have a day when I'm fully in target, so that the lines on my CGM will remain in the stable range. Some days - most days, even, I spike up and oftentimes don't quite make it down for a number of hours. Occasionally, I'll go all the way up, and then my whole concentration is lost.

But, I'm trying to work on my sugars, and that is all that counts. So don't worry about it too much, just do your best to work on your ratios / taking insulin in advance / and all the other things we have to keep on top of.

No matter what, as soon as I have diabetes, I will never have perfection. It's been a hard lesson for me to learn, but there's always the highs and lows.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too am vlc and rarely see anything over 110 max other than fasting rise. But is is work and requires very few carbs for me.

That being said, I have a double bonus ( yeah right) my stomach hates carbs so a double edged sword when I eat them

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My daughter is non diabetic and she has had readings in the double figures after a meal.

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
No idea what my readings were pre diagnosis.

Now I tend to find anything in the 7's is my high reading and that is generally at the 1hr mark after food.

For 2 hrs I am normally high 5/low 6

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
By high do you mean double figures or just over 8? And do you mean a spike after food or one of those awful 'wake up at 14 and stay there or above all day' days?
Spike fairly regularly, high all day days maybe a few times a year. In April I had week of constant highs that needed a change in ratios to fix.
Diabetes is a pain and if you get consistent highs something will need looking at.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I use the Freestyle Libre and can categorically state that I only get a reading above 7.8 if I eat something which strays from the very low carb path. When I do eat something like that, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get up there, unless it was just a bite or two.

Type 2, metformin only.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
She had a HbA1c of 38 last time tested a few months ago I know I found it hard to believe too but doctor says she is not diabetic.
I would keep testing things. Things change for no apparent reason. How old is she? Just keep an eye on. We know one and two hours after meals mean more tha an A 1 c.

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just started using a libre and according to it this past week I have been above 8 for 18% of the time. In target 73% and below 9% but most of those have been above 3.5 (except for one awful night <.<). I have been above 10 three times this week

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would keep testing things. Things change for no apparent reason. How old is she? Just keep an eye on. We know one and two hours after meals mean more tha an A 1 c.
Yes I know was quite worried about her a while back she is now 40 years of age. I have even gone so far as to get her a meter but she is now reluctant to test. As she says her doctor said she is normal and he is refusing her any further HbA1c tests.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I know was quite worried about her a while back she is now 40 years of age. I have even gone so far as to get her a meter but she is now reluctant to test. As she says her doctor said she is normal and he is refusing her any further HbA1c tests.
Now I remember!! Well, you did what you could do and at 40 there isn't much you can do but set an example. At 20 there's not much we can do.

Does seem she's a bit in denial. Do you think so?? I'd like to strangle some docs

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nathanw777, I have high BG from time to time - more often of late as I've been having some issues, but things are getting a bit better now.

I tend to find my BG's go highest straight after meals, so I try to minimise that as much as possible by taking my insulin in advance. It's not something I suggest you try, but just thought I'd elaborate a little on how I try and get round my high BG when it typically happens:)

@JohnEGreen, @Kristin251 - non-diabetic BG spikes are a lot more common than we're led to believe. I was informed about this from my DSN when a lot of the staff were wearing Libre sensors. The spikes went as high as 13.2mmol/L apparently!

As far as I'm aware, any readings <2 hours post prandial are inconclusive in diagnosing diabetes. Even though the "random plasma glucose test" would suggest that any reading over 11.1mmol/L would indicate diabetes, I believe it has to be out with that 2 hour post-prandial window, although I may be wrong.

Your daughter could always request an OGTT @JohnEGreen, I would have thought the results from one of those tests coupled with an HbA1c would be a pretty definitive indicator of health.

Apologies for derailing this thread any further guys!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nathanw777, I have high BG from time to time - more often of late as I've been having some issues, but things are getting a bit better now.

I tend to find my BG's go highest straight after meals, so I try to minimise that as much as possible by taking my insulin in advance. It's not something I suggest you try, but just thought I'd elaborate a little on how I try and get round my high BG when it typically happens:)

@JohnEGreen, @Kristin251 - non-diabetic BG spikes are a lot more common than we're led to believe. I was informed about this from my DSN when a lot of the staff were wearing Libre sensors. The spikes went as high as 13.2mmol/L apparently!

As far as I'm aware, any readings <2 hours post prandial are inconclusive in diagnosing diabetes. Even though the "random plasma glucose test" would suggest that any reading over 11.1mmol/L would indicate diabetes, I believe it has to be out with that 2 hour post-prandial window, although I may be wrong.

Your daughter could always request an OGTT @JohnEGreen, I would have thought the results from one of those tests coupled with an HbA1c would be a pretty definitive indicator of health.

Apologies for derailing this thread any further guys!

Grant, for T2s, I'm pretty certain, in the absence of symptoms (and many T2s are diagnosed when asymptomatic), a random reading of >11.1 must be repeated, on another day, although at that point, an HbA1c is often done.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Grant, for T2s, I'm pretty certain, in the absence of symptoms (and many T2s are diagnosed when asymptomatic), a random reading of >11.1 must be repeated, on another day, although at that point, an HbA1c is often done.
Yes you're right, I think the HbA1c and OGTT would verify the diagnosis over a reading >11.1mmol/L.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you're right, I think the HbA1c and OGTT would verify the diagnosis over a reading >11.1mmol/L.

These days, OGTT's are really only used routinely for gestational diabetes, with the HbA1c considered the gold standard for T2.

However, let's not derail this thread any further. I doubt our posts are helping @nathanw777 too much.

Apologies, Nathan.