So tired and weary...

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
We are short staffed and I am shifting roster frequently. I am exhausted and my bgl's are all over the spectrum. No sleep and constant activity are taking their toll. I need some time out and soon, this is really becoming a bit scary. Hypos and hypers running back to back. Bgl's ranging from 4.6 to 23.8 in a sngle shift.

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
That sucks so bad. No advice to offer - but sending you (((best wishes))). Diabetes doesn't care what you're up to, where you are, or what you need to do next. It'll rear its face whenever, however it wants.

If you can excuse yourself and take an extended bathroom break, I'd suggest that. Else, just hang in there, keep an eye of your blood sugars as much as possible and just take it moment by moment.

Reactions: Prem51
B

badcat

I'm sure youve thought of it, but is any way you can take some sick leave? The situation you are describing is something that I would see as needing attention as much as any other medical issue

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
We are short staffed and I am shifting roster frequently. I am exhausted and my bgl's are all over the spectrum. No sleep and constant activity are taking their toll. I need some time out and soon, this is really becoming a bit scary. Hypos and hypers running back to back. Bgl's ranging from 4.6 to 23.8 in a sngle shift.

Sick leave is looming, which will leave the firm even more short staffed.

If you can stick to the same hours hopefully your BG control will settle down again.

It is not in the interest of the firm for you to have to take sick leave, so I assume something could be sorted out.

Alternatively arrange to take a day off sick and see if that stabilises you. If it does you then have a strategy of one day off in 5 (say) which is far better than having to take a week off, and also far better than the damage poor BG control must be doing to your body.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is always tempting to think that we are indispensable.
But the reality is that if we allow ourselves to get so tired and run down that we become seriously ill, then they will find some way of coping.
They always do.

So please Leslie, look after yourself. Don't go the extra mile if it makes you ill.
And if it does make you ill, then they will have more problems than they do now!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@leslie10152 - I'd go along with the others in asking you to disconnect yourself from the view that you're indispensable. Nobody is. If you were abducted by aliens (OK, less likely, but just trying to convey the idea of disappearing unexpectedly), would the business open next day? Would profits plummet? Would the workplace world stop spinning, or would it be a bit uncomfortable until responsibilities could be reshuffled or re-attributed? What happens when you go on holiday?

The bottom line is if you run yourself into the ground, the only person who will suffer is yourself, and that's not even considering any damage you could be dicing with from those widely swinging blood levels.

You are in a situation where, today, you can manage your absence a bit. By that I mean, you can make a conscious decision to look after yourself and maybe even write a list of things that would have to be delegated, with suggestions from your most capable members of staff, or list the things you have coming up, that require management consideration.

If you continue as you are, you could easily find yourself in a situation where you leave your employers in more of a jam, by doing that disappearing off the workplace scene, unannounced.

Some years ago, after my Mother passed away, I was in a new job (first day back from very modest compassionate leave had me starting a new job, in the same company, but in a different area, with different people, and I just felt they would think badly if I extended my leave. The job involved a whole load of travel to somewhat anti-social places and it just ground me down, until I ended up having a couple of months off.

I had ground myself down to a place where my initial thoughts of, "I could do with a week to draw my thoughts into order", just wouldn't cut it. Don't do the same as me.

Nobody likes to let anyone down, but right now, you are letting yourself down, with the knock-on effect of others. I'm sure you're not performing at your best (even just taking your blood numbers into consideration).

I would urge you to take some time off, but proper time. I doubt the odd day here and there will cut it.

With my old employer having a day a week off, or any other regularity, would have been flagged and HR/Occupational Health would have been all over it, like a rash. Whilst that gets matters out in the open, it might not help your anxiety levels.

Leslie, only you can decide how to handle this, but I know where my vote would be. I'm sure it's not easy for you.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Leslie 10152: Sorry to hear that you are struggling. I'm sure many of us have been sucked into this never ending and demanding cycle at work. I know I have in the past and my loyalty to my work/ employers affected my health. You have a lot of experience in gaining control and know better than many what you need to do. Have you sought help from your doctor? Could he/ she prescribe you some time away from work to give you some recuperation time? Or could you speak to someone at work who could help to rearrange things temporarily? Is it time to look for alternative employment or part time work? I sincerely hope things improve for you soon. It's one of those times when you have to put yourself first if only for a while.