Low carb diet and night cramps....help please!11

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping for some advice please.I am ten months into a low carb medium fat diet with good results so far.These last weeks I have begun to have cramp in my foot,usually in the night.Its a different kind from after walking long distances for exercise(when much younger!!)in that pressing the foot on the floor doesn't help.Im not keen to see my GP as I don't want to present any negatives for the diet at this stage.........he was a bit disparaging that at my age,79 next week,I should want to diet.His comment was,you'll never stick at it.Just the words I needed to make sure I did!!(he really doesn't know me)
These are my results so far,I've been diabetic for 16 years.
Weight 11st 12..........10st 4(height 5ft 3)
BP. 130/80
HbA1c 48down to..43 I'm on Metformin 3 tablets a day and other bp meds and have with GPs permission, stopped the Glicazide
after having hypos.
My BS over a day ranges from 5.8fasting to 6+ to 7.3 after evening meal.Apart from cramps it's all good,more energy,so can be more active,better sleep and much more positive outlook.Sorry for such a long post.My hubby would be glad not to be woken with my groans in the night,hope you can help!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that I get cramps on low carb, unless I make sure I get enough of the following; salt, magnesium, potassium.

Different people seem to have different responses. Most of the comments/threads I have seen on the forum discussing this cramp thing seem to find magnesium is key, but I get a better response with potassium, so it may be a case of tweaking your diet to include extra mineral food sources, or just (as I do) taking a small supplement dose of mag and pot, and sprinkling a little salt on my food.

In my experience, the cramps were always worse in hot weather, or after exercise the day before, so I have always assumed that I was losing the minerals in my sweat.
Wikipedia says
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspiration
Sweat is mostly water. A microfluidic model of the eccrine sweat gland provides details on what solutes partition into sweat, their mechanisms of partitioning, and their fluidic transport to the skin surface.[18] Dissolved in the water are trace amounts of minerals, lactic acid, and urea. Although the mineral content varies, some measured concentrations are: sodium (0.9 gram/liter), potassium (0.2 g/l), calcium (0.015 g/l), and magnesium (0.0013 g/l).[19]

Reactions: ringi and Glenmac

He_in

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping for some advice please.I am ten months into a low carb medium fat diet with good results so far.These last weeks I have begun to have cramp in my foot,usually in the night.Its a different kind from after walking long distances for exercise(when much younger!!)in that pressing the foot on the floor doesn't help.Im not keen to see my GP as I don't want to present any negatives for the diet at this stage.........he was a bit disparaging that at my age,79 next week,I should want to diet.His comment was,you'll never stick at it.Just the words I needed to make sure I did!!(he really doesn't know me)
BP. 130/80
HbA1c 48down to..43 I'm on Metformin 3 tablets a day and other bp meds and have with GPs permission, stopped the Glicazide
after having hypos.
My BS over a day ranges from 5.8fasting to 6+ to 7.3 after evening meal.Apart from cramps it's all good,more energy,so can be more active,better sleep and much more positive outlook.Sorry for such a long post.My hubby would be glad not to be woken with my groans in the night,hope you can help!
Drink plenty of tonic water it has quinine in I also take quinine tablets when needed they are a instant cure

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that I get cramps on low carb, unless I make sure I get enough of the following; salt, magnesium, potassium.

Different people seem to have different responses. Most of the comments/threads I have seen on the forum discussing this cramp thing seem to find magnesium is key, but I get a better response with potassium, so it may be a case of tweaking your diet to include extra mineral food sources, or just (as I do) taking a small supplement dose of mag and pot, and sprinkling a little salt on my food.

In my experience, the cramps were always worse in hot weather, or after exercise the day before, so I have always assumed that I was losing the minerals in my sweat.
Wikipedia says
Sweat is mostly water. A microfluidic model of the eccrine sweat gland provides details on what solutes partition into sweat, their mechanisms of partitioning, and their fluidic transport to the skin surface.[18] Dissolved in the water are trace amounts of minerals, lactic acid, and urea. Although the mineral content varies, some measured concentrations are: sodium (0.9 gram/liter), potassium (0.2 g/l), calcium (0.015 g/l), and magnesium (0.0013 g/l).[19]
Thankyou for such a fast response Brunneria.That fits in with the warmer weather,plus getting ready for visitors and being on my feet all day,it all makes sense to me.I will tweek my diet as you suggest now I understand better.Thankyou.

Reactions: Pipp and ickihun

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Drink plenty of tonic water it has quinine in I also take quinine tablets when needed they are a instant cure
Thankyou,I shall try that He_in.Ill try the tonic water first(minus the gin I expect!)

Reactions: Pipp

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi everyone,
BP. 130/80
after having hypos.
I had to stop simvastatin tablets for heart health due to very painful foot cramps. I dont get them now unless feet are in very cold surroundings.
Could it be a statin side affect for you too?

B

badcat

Hi everyone,
BP. 130/80
after having hypos.
I find magnesium spray helps with cramps in my feet or legs. I have also tried magnesium foot baths which I think help but not so immediately

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note that it also contains quite a lot of sugar.
Sally

The slimline version is good unless you are affected by the artificial sweeteners.

Consider using LO SALT - it is one third sodium and two thirds potassium.

Reactions: ringi

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to stop simvastatin tablets for heart health due to very painful foot cramps. I dont get them now unless feet are in very cold surroundings.
Could it be a statin side affect for you too?
Thankyou iickihun.You must be psychic!I forgot to say I had just taken myself off statins after reading more about them and after my son (52) was being pressured by his GP to have them.This was the same dr. who was unaware there was a Parkrun every Saturday a few yards from the health centre.My son said no thanks to statins and lowered his cholesterol by running and cycling.Much to his amusement he has been featured on a NHS leaflet promoting healthy living!

Reactions: ickihun

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find magnesium spray helps with cramps in my feet or legs. I have also tried magnesium foot baths which I think help but not so immediately
Thankyou badcat,I shall have a spray at the ready.That and the footbaths are a good idea.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The slimline version is good unless you are affected by the artificial sweeteners.

ThankyouJimH,'I'll look out for the slimline tonic.I think if I take it in moderation it won't interfere with IBS problems.Your suggestion for low salt is also noted.Im off to the shops with a list!Can be forgetful a list solves that problem!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
BP. 130/80
after having hypos.

Wikipedia says

This post is of great interest to me. Since starting on a low carb/mod fat diet I have often been waking in the mornings with cramp in my ankles. I have stopped adding Lo-salt (or indeed any salt) to my food as I thought I read somewhere Lo salt wasn't recommended for diabetics due to harm it may do to your kidneys. I just looked up my blood results online and my potassium is 3.2mmols/l it says it should be 3.5-5mmols/l! This may explain things? I guess I should start using low salt again but will the sodium content be harmful?

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This post is of great interest to me. Since starting on a low carb/mod fat diet I have often been waking in the mornings with cramp in my ankles. I have stopped adding Lo-salt (or indeed any salt) to my food as I thought I read somewhere Lo salt wasn't recommended for diabetics due to harm it may do to your kidneys. I just looked up my blood results online and my potassium is 3.2mmols/l it says it should be 3.5-5mmols/l! This may explain things? I guess I should start using low salt again but will the sodium content be harmful?

Sodium and potassium should be kept in balance - refer to your 'Urea and Electrolytes' test results if you have them (Serum Sodium and Serum Potassium levels). You should take into consideration other factors such as medication, high blood pressure, kidney function, doctors advice etc.
Since starting LCHF over 2 years ago, I have cut out potatoes, bananas and other sources of potassium and started using a small amount of LoSalt to compensate as I was getting a lot of foot and leg cramps.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried all sorts of additives and found that the cramps did not go away until I started to try to stagger a little way to see if that helped, when I got to the bathroom and took a drink of water, the cramps went. I now keep a bottle of water by the bed and make sure I take a drink of water before going to sleep.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried all sorts of additives and found that the cramps did not go away until I started to try to stagger a little way to see if that helped, when I got to the bathroom and took a drink of water, the cramps went. I now keep a bottle of water by the bed and make sure I take a drink of water before going to sleep.
Thankyou,Resurgam.Ive had quite a few problems with dehydration in the past and have ended up in hospital several times.The good advice I had from my GP was to be like the young ones and carry bottled water everywhere!Only the Edinburgh hospital linked dehydration and diabetes.As I collapse sometimes,I can give reviews of several A and E depts!!Mostly I keep hydrated but if busy forget.I shall now remember cramp and take even more care.This diabetes thing doesn't come without extras!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sodium and potassium should be kept in balance - refer to your 'Urea and Electrolytes' test results if you have them (Serum Sodium and Serum Potassium levels). You should take into consideration other factors such as medication, high blood pressure, kidney function, doctors advice etc.
Since starting LCHF over 2 years ago, I have cut out potatoes, bananas and other sources of potassium and started using a small amount of LoSalt to compensate as I was getting a lot of foot and leg cramps.
Thanks for this. I just checked my sodium results. Four taken over the last couple of years are in the normal range, including the last sample that showed the low potassium. I am on treatment for high BP but home readings show them coming down since low carbing, loosing weight etc…. I too have given up bananas, I used to eat one most days and only have maybe one tiny roast potato on Sundays now. Looks like a little low salt wouldn't go amiss.

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this. I just checked my sodium results. Four taken over the last couple of years are in the normal range, including the last sample that showed the low potassium. I am on treatment for high BP but home readings show them coming down since low carbing, loosing weight etc…. I too have given up bananas, I used to eat one most days and only have maybe one tiny roast potato on Sundays now. Looks like a little low salt wouldn't go amiss.
Almonds and some other nuts are also good sources of potassium and magnesium if you need/want to avoid sodium.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almonds and some other nuts are also good sources of potassium and magnesium if you need/want to avoid sodium.
That's good to know. I'm eating a handful of nuts each day! That's one of my new go to snacks.