Carbohydrates with zero sugar

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Does anyone know if carbohydrates food with zero sugar still not good for diabetes?

Regards

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Carbohydrates are changed into glucose in the body. You could say that sugar is another name for glucose although there are other types such as fructose, lactose etc it is all sugar.

Reactions: letstalk1

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
But, as said above, the 15g carbohydrates turn into sugar as soon as you eat your soya chunks
My question .. why bother?
I suggest that you would be better off following the advice on the Diet Doctor website

B

badcat

Hi

I just checked soya chunks which has no sugar, but has 15g carbohydrates.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/nutrela-soya-chunks-139990826

It's also rich in protein. Is it good for diabetes? Anyone tried this ?

Regards
The only way youll know if its ok for you is to test how it affects your body -test your blood sugars immediately before eating it and then again 2 hrs later then see what level of rise it causes. We are all different in what level of carbohydrate our bodies can tolerate without causing a big rise in blood sugar.
As others have said all carbohydrates get broken down into sugar that enters the bloodstream during digestion - the important question, with a completely personal answer, is how well our body deals with the sugar

Reactions: Dodo

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
It depends on your approach to diet and exercise and what medication you are on (if any).

People trying to eat very few carbohydrates (20 grams a day or less) would consider that to be quite high.

I assume the figure you are quoting is "carbohydrates per 100 grams"?

Edit:

I think you need to step back a bit and ask a broader question, about how to count carbohydrates and what to focus on in food labels.

15 grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams is medium carbohydrate. So better for you than bread, pasta, rice, chips and all those really carby things.

I'm just trying to work out what would be an average portion.

If you had, say 200 grams (30 grams of carbohydrates) as the protein part of a meal along with plenty of leafy vegetables and some butter then that would not be a bad main meal.

Certainly good compared to Tortilla Wraps at 53 g carbohydrates per 100 g or 35 g per tortilla wrap.

Generally I try to aim for less than 10 g carbohydrates per 100 g but this is not always easy.

Read around the site and you will find plenty of nutritional advice.

Edit 2: @Bluetit1802 seems to have tracked down your product which is just over 33 g carbohydrate per 100 g so not as high as the tortilla but still pretty high if you eat more than a little. It is the total amount of carbohydrate in the meal that matters so if 45 g is a satisfying portion size then you could use that without going too carb heavy, as long as there is nothing else in the meal which is heavy in carbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: biren1973

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I just checked soya chunks which has no sugar, but has 15g carbohydrates.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/nutrela-soya-chunks-139990826

It's also rich in protein. Is it good for diabetes? Anyone tried this ?

Regards

That 15g of carbs is per 45g of food. So a third of the food is carbohydrate. The zero sugar means no refined sugar has been added. You can ignore any reference to sugar. It is the carbs total you need to look at. That entry on MFP is also from an American person I assume because it is measured in cup sizes, which is what they use in America. Beware of American entries as their labelling system is different from ours, and can be confusing.

As said above, all you can do is try one and test it before, an hour, 2 hours and 3 hours later.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Even lettuce turns to blood glucose.

MFP here can be measured many ways. Cups, grams, ounces, chunk size etc.
Most entries have 5 choices. I always use ounces or grams. Never cup size. I could smash more in hard and eat more calling it less carbs haha. Or just lightly pack it. I find cup size to be ridiculous and very inaccurate. The weight options are much better.

I do think you guys would have to subtract the fiber to get your conversion?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do think you guys would have to subtract the fiber to get your conversion?

This is what is unknown on MFP when the entry is made by an American. The tick boxes are separate for carbs and fibre but we don't know if the person deducted the fibre before entering the carb amount or not. I suspect not in most cases. Why would they? They may not realise how important it is for non-Americans!

Reactions: biren1973

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what is unknown on MFP when the entry is made by an American. The tick boxes are separate for carbs and fibre but we don't know if the person deducted the fibre before entering the carb amount or not. I suspect not in most cases. Why would they? They may not realise how important it is for non-Americans!
I'm confused. Why is it more or less important for Americans? Not my fault I was born and raised here. A diabetic is a diabetic no matter where they live aren't they?

B

badcat

I'm confused. Why is it more or less important for Americans? Not my fault I was born and raised here. A diabetic is a diabetic no matter where they live aren't they?
In Some counries ( including the UK )nutritional labelling shows Carbohydrate counts where the fibre part of the carb load has been deducted from the overall carb figure and is shown separately, the carbohydrate figure shown is thus total carbs - fibre
In some other countries ( including the US) the carb count shown is the total carbohydrates including fibre
It makes a difference if you are trying to follow a diet based on a certain level of "net" carbs (which is the total carbs - fibre figure)

Reactions: Kristin251

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In Some counries ( including the UK )nutritional labelling shows Carbohydrate counts where the fibre part of the carb load has been beducted from the figure shown
Imn some other countries ( including the US) the carb count shown is the total of carbs and fibre
It makes a difference if you are trying to follow a diet based on a certain level of "net" carbs which is the total carbs - fibre figure
I completely understand that but one could just do the simple math and deduct the fiber themselves.
I prefer www.calorieking.com as it is more accurate than MFP but you can't put your days food in. It just gives you the nutritional content.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I think you've missed the point, and I'm surprised you took it personally.

"Net Carbs" is an American term I assume was created for marketing purposes. In the UK and many other countries, fiber is a separate line item on the food label and not part of total carbs.

Consequently, there could be serious miscalculations depending on where the food label was created and what was used to track macros.

B

badcat

The problem with apps like MFP which cover multiple countries with different nutritional data recording systems and which rely on users inputting data, is that you never know which country the data has been entered in and therefore which system has been used
I get around it by entering either UK or else the name of any one of the big UK supermarkets ( not so good as so many supermarkets are multinational) alongside the name of he item Im searching for

Reactions: Bluetit1802

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's an international technicality: in the UK, dietary fibre isn't counted as a carb (eventhough it technically is one) because it passes through the body undigested. It binds things together and is generally very good us (our colon and bowels), but contributes no calories to our diets. Because of this, UK food labels subtract fibre from the overall content total.

In the US, because it's classified as a carb, it's counted as a carb, and therefore isn't subtracted from the total carb total - readers of US food labels must make this calculation themselves.

The difficulty comes on sites where people can upload their own entries for foods, or contribute to a single database, as it's not often made clear whether the fibre is excluded (UK standard) or included (US standard) in the carb total. Which, as you can imagine, makes life tricky at best and dangerous at worst.

It's not that anyone hates the US, it's just that the two systems don't work together and any website or app that people rely upon needs to be absolutely clear about whether fibre is included or excluded in the total carbs.

That's all :)

EDIT:
The problem with apps like MFP which cover multiple countries with different nutritional data recording systems and which rely on users inputting data, is that you never know which country the data has been entered in and therefore which system has been used
I get around it by entering either UK or else the name of any one of the big UK supermarkets ( not so good as so many supermarkets are multinational) alongside the name of he item Im searching for

I use the website where I bought the food from in the first place to check, or keep the packaging - as it's sold in the UK, the packaging has to be correct (fibre subtracted) to a legal standard. Only rarely do I ask Google on my phone to look something up, and then I have to be careful to figure out whether the fibre is in or out.

Reactions: Kristin251

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I completely understand that but one could just do the simple math and deduct the fiber themselves.
I prefer www.calorieking.com as it is more accurate than MFP but you can't put your days food in. It just gives you the nutritional content.

MFP is primarily a weight loss website. It isn't a diabetic one. Most of the users are only interested in calories. If an American (for example) looks at the nutrition label and sees carb content, that is most likely what they will enter on MFP. They won't necessarily think to deduct the fibre first if they aren't carb counting like diabetics do. That's what I meant. However, some might deduct it first (the diabetics maybe), but there is no way of knowing whether they have or they haven't! ;)

Reactions: letstalk1

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry.

Woke up with intense sinus headache, sniffles, tired and still fighting tooth pain from gum infection. Never mind me

I understand exactly what is happening. I keep wrappers and labels too. But more for ingredient and protein purposes. I don't count carbs as I don't really eat them and I don't deduct fiber as it doesn't seem to matter in my system. I just eat my stupid little well known tried and true meals and bolus acoordinly.
This can be exhausting lol.

Apologies. Crabby hungry day.