Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Diagnosed less than three months ago and ready to slam the door on any and all thoughts of T2. For weeks I have been reading the advice and information on Diabetes and the more I read the more contradictions I come across. People arguing over which diet/doctor/excercise regime they follow. People at loggerheads over ketones and lectins what kind of fats they have in their diets. Youtube videos that go right over my head, advice from dn that bears no relationship that I can see to logic and gp nagging about statins.
But, and it's a big but, I feel like ****. When I asked about feeling hungry apparently I wasn't eating enough fat or had carb flu. The same goes for protein, how much protein is too much? I have a headache most days and it's not for the want of water. My bowel has never been so upset and I havn't experienced so much lethargy and fatigue for years. If this is a good way to live with Diabetes then you can keep it, I don't want to extend my lifespan by twenty years if it means living like a blummin invalid 'til I'm eighty.
In summing up my little rant I am declaring that I fully understand now why some T2s just give up because trying to get a handle on it when it has so many variables is like trying to knit jelly and I am just not inteligent enough to sort it out in my head.

Reactions: Philb69

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I know exactly what you mean. So many contradictions so much to try.
I obviously cannot help with how you are feeling - but I to have been at this almost exactly three months now and some of what you say I felt and had the same symptoms (I think, I am not living in your shoes).

I found that I didn't understand a lot. So I just asked stupid questions and got some pretty decent replies.
I tried hard not to understand it all if I am honest with you - I just tried it, it worked, I was satisfied.
I did a lot of back ground reading and tried to tease out the bits I didn't understand.

The most important thing - is to garner a wide set of opinions and then look at pro's and con's and perhaps try both.

Keep going - of course you want to live another 20 years, in 10 years this might be fixed by someone really clever and you want to be in tip top shape when that happens.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh @Guzzler I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time - I really had no idea.

I don't want to give you more advice except to follow what your body is telling you. Right now it's telling you something's not right - so give yourself a week off, settle, calm, think. Then come back, change something small, see how it goes.

A week isn't going to cost you much and it might save you from burn-out, which would be bad.

You gotta do what's right for you - not just for your meter and your DN. It's gotta fit into your life and allow you to live pleasurably, enjoyably, happily. Otherwise you're right - it's just not worth it.

Take a break and then start from the beginning - there's more support for you than you realise <3

P.S. Also, this:

I am just not intelligent enough to sort it out in my head.

Is nonsense. It's just overwhelming and confusing and everyone has issues dealing with it all and sorting it all out.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Guzzler . As T1 I try not to advise on T2 problems, but I genuinely feel for you on this one.
First off. Information overload, it's a b****rd, we live in a society with to much information.
Second. People who swear/ insist it's there way and no other.
Third. Experts who have studied BUT not lived with a condition.
You are right, you need to be happy and if that shortens your life expectancy then so be it. You need to be happy for as long as possible though so a balance needs to be found.
Find a source of information you feel comfortable with and stick to it, it'll be as good or as bad as the next piece of information out there.
Hope you find happiness, it's out there just don't google it.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Guzzler
You seem to have posted a large amount of messages in the two months or so that you have been a member .. which is fine (that's what the forum is for) but, in my opinion, it's little wonder that you have been bombarded with a mass of confusing (and often conflicting) information. I suggest that you should drop back a little and take hold of a single strategy to work on .. then change or tweak as appropriate.

My advice would be to latch on to the the key point that managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum. I suggest that you focus on the Diet Doctor website, where the following sections will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

I guess that you already have a test meter but, if not, it is a top priority that you get one and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT.

Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available
I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Finally, I would just add that pretty much everyone diagnosed with T2 has almost certainly gone through the same states of confusion, depression, anger and frustration as yourself .. but, by refusing to be beaten down by all the C**P that surrounds this horrible thing called diabetes, most of us have come out the other side much more determined, much more positive and much more in control of our own bodies and our own lives

Hope this helps

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I feel for you. Diabetes is horrible and there is no answer that is right for everyone. The phrase I focus on in your post is the"you feel ****". At the time of my diagnosis I was in the middle of a domestic crisis but the one bit of luck I had was that I had limited access to the inrernet or the library but had managed to spend a couple of evenings getting some information from which I was able to piece together something that made sense to me and fortunately it worked and I felt great within 48 hours. I have posted what I did several times but I will not again as certain forum members have a problem with it forgetting they have access to medication with which to manage the repurcussions of their diet and I do not.

You are already testing so you know what works for you so how about sticking to the meals rhat have given you the best results or asking people to post what action they took to feel "normal" instead of that migrane, irritable, tired, c*** that is unmanaged diabetes.

I imagine you are already filtering posts so that you are get a good idea as to how people with your hba1c, meds and other conditions are getting on.

You can do it.

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

I'm sure you've seen all my posts on avocado. My life saver. Stopped swings and hunger. Can't remember if you like them. I also need to be VERY low carb or I get the swings which causes fatigue, blurry eyes, moodiness and hunger.

I've just learned to use food as fuel and forget the rest. My foods are limited but they work, MOST of the time. Veggies upset my tummy. Fat and protein do not. I need 80% fat or I don't so well. I am in no way saying this is for you but I struggles too long and landed on avocado, mayo, nuts and protein making up 90% of my meals. I LOVE veggies but they don't love me

Listen to your body. If it's rebelling digestively it's. it a health food for you. It will also raise bs if not digesting. If your bs is spiking, it's not a health food no matter how nutritious. It took a long time for me to find meals that worked with both my stomach and bs. You will too. If you have any adverse reactions of any kind, ditch it. You havcan no idea how much food I've tossed. ( over to hubbies side of the fridge. He will eat anything !)

Hope you feel better. You'll find it. It just takes time. You've got this!!!

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed less than three months ago and ready to slam the door on any and all thoughts of T2. For weeks I have been reading the advice and information on Diabetes and the more I read the more contradictions I come across. People arguing over which diet/doctor/excercise regime they follow. People at loggerheads over ketones and lectins what kind of fats they have in their diets. Youtube videos that go right over my head, advice from dn that bears no relationship that I can see to logic and gp nagging about statins.
But, and it's a big but, I feel like ****. When I asked about feeling hungry apparently I wasn't eating enough fat or had carb flu. The same goes for protein, how much protein is too much? I have a headache most days and it's not for the want of water. My bowel has never been so upset and I havn't experienced so much lethargy and fatigue for years. If this is a good way to live with Diabetes then you can keep it, I don't want to extend my lifespan by twenty years if it means living like a blummin invalid 'til I'm eighty.
In summing up my little rant I am declaring that I fully understand now why some T2s just give up because trying to get a handle on it when it has so many variables is like trying to knit jelly and I am just not inteligent enough to sort it out in my head.
I'm so sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed.I have an idea how it feels.Since I began learning more about D2 there have been days when I have felt the same.There is so much conflicting information out there some days my head hurt trying to take it all in,and understand.I felt I was studying for an exam I was sure to fail.This was coupled with my DN and GP thinking Iwas an eccentric old biddy.Take a few days away from the info.We need a banner stating EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!Then take a strategy LCHF or LCLF or another way that appeals and begin gently,tweeking it to fit YOU.Some of us have had carb flu days and felt like stopping,I certainly have.
A friend of ours has done the Newcastle Diet,no way would that have worked for me.Not only are we all different,but the daily demands on us are not the same.Im retired but understand that others have great responsibilities at home and work.........Just be kind to yourself,and take your time.Some are very fortunate and have positive changes after a few weeks.I had to remind myself that my pancreas was the same age as the rest of me,and not despair when things changed slowly for me.We need to remind ourselves its not a race or a competition.Take care you will feel much better in time.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

the need of proteins is in an average person not doing much exercise around 0.8 gram pro kg body-weight ... if one does a lot of weight lifting / resistance training 1 gram ( or more ) of protein pro 1 kg body-weight

we can be angry with destiny and advice... but the task is still there and there is hardly anyone to blaim.. if the disease was easy to control and cure...I think it would be a knowledge easy to find.. well it is not easy to cure, but more easy to control... but the cure is still lacking

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Guzzler, I'm T1D for 20 years, and totally relate to how overwhelming diabetes can be. At age 15, I changed to multiple injections (from twice a day shots). I couldn't deal with it, said, the hell with it and have struggled to take care of my diabetes since.

In my experience, most people do not understand how absolutely overwhelming diabetes can be. For years, I heard all about why I must take care of myself and all the complications that will happen to me by not - but I still didn't care for myself. I hid behind my defiance, I wasn't caring for my diabetes because I could not.

It has taken me years to accept that diabetes is just overwhelming some days. Diabetes doesn't care where I am when it rears its head: I could be sleeping, I could be at a wedding, I could be driving. I could be watching sunset for the first time on a clear day at the sea. It is always there, it just is, and I cannot do a **** thing about it.

Diabetes involves one million various factors that can affect my blood sugars and more importantly, my moods. I can test my basal rates and a few months later having changed my weight, need to retest all over again. I could eat something and over or underestimate the carb content and there goes my sugars. I can leave my house and realise that I have forgot to refill my insulin and when I want to eat do I just eat it without the insulin anyway?

So many various other factors that comes into play, food being the simplest of them all: stress, weight change, schedule change, exercise, **** it - the weather.

It's a hell of a lot to juggle.

I didn't think I was suffering from diabetes burnout because it was going on for years. Yet, when I picked up the book Diabetes Burnout by William Polonsky I cried. Because nobody in my life had ever spoke to me about the emotional upheaval that diabetes will bring. I knew all the facts, I just couldn't deal with how overwhelming it all was.

Today, I've learnt to ride the waves, at least much better than I used to be able to. I don't take myself or my blood sugars that seriously anymore. I know that when I think suicide it's time to test my blood sugars because usually it's high and I just need wait it out.

I try to remember to breath and keep life in the moment. I've slowly learnt to take the advice that works for me and leave the rest. Getting your diabetes into control is a slow and painful process - alot of trial and error, for me.

I reached out - I came to join the online diabetes community, I began to blog. (link in my signature). I realised I'm not alone, I'm not alone!!

Having a health care team that you actually trust is really helpful too. I actually reached out abroad to Gary Scheiner team, Integrated Diabetes because I felt my diabetes team couldn't help me anymore. I had read his book so I knew I trusted him. But that's just my personal experience, many use their own health care team and meet them in person. At one point, when I was trying to get my diabetes stable - I met with my nurse on a weekly basis! Reach out to a therapist or a health therapist if you can.

And, the main thing is just to hang in there. It does get easier....

Reactions: Nidge247 and Prem51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many of us have been there? Burnout!
Sorry you are feeling patience has run out @Guzzler.
I do remember when I first came here. Information overload. People are trying to help, but sometimes we can all get a bit overenthusiastic when we have found something that has worked for us, and sometimes a bit too overprotective about our own particular method if someone else suggests it is flawed.
Only solution is to take a step back, rest, reflect, be selective about information when you feel ready, and consider what might work for you in your unique circumstances. I would choose quality of life over quantity every time.
It would help if members were not too 'trigger happy' with leaping in with information too soon for new members. That can be overwhelming. Which is why the information provided by daisy1 has been compiled, just as a start point / introduction to encourage new members to acquire knowledge at a pace to suit them.
Hope you feel better soon, @Guzzler

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
P.s.
Management is a marathon not a sprint.;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Guzzler from what I could see you were keeping up with us old diabetic soldiers. I must admit you know more than ive ever known in 40yrs. I too have learnt so much from this site and it's posters.
Just remember.
You will never experience all you have seen or learnt so far. No diabetic suffers every side affect or complication.
What you have read here is every eventuality. No one person is so unluckily to suffer everything!
Keeping this in mind some diabetics dont experience any complications at all.

My burn out was also due to my domestic changes and not my diabetic health.
My diabetes health is mostly good. Im far healthier than my 2 none diabetic sisters due to looking after myself.
You change what will benefit you, nothing more.
I bet your new hba1c is to be proud of.
How can you perfect perfection?

Last edited:

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed - shock - a month ago, it seems like forever. It's taken over my life, I understand that need to gather up as much info as possible. It is annoying all the different answers/solutions that are out there. BUT which one is the right one, what should I do? I badly want to get it right. So armed with my 2 BG monitors I set forth to learn what works for ME.

Sorry that you are stressed at the moment. Here's a virtual hug.

Reactions: Prem51 and Pipp
S

serenity648

I got overwhelmed at first, so decided to get a meter, and just follow the advice given in the post by @daisy1 for the first month. That got me used to the idea of what I can and cant safely eat. After that I tweaked quantities and types of foods to find my own safe zone.

Rather like joining a gym, and getting the induction and the personal trainer gives you a workout to follow, and then you tweak it to find your own personal regime. What works for one, wont work necessarily for someone else, but suggestions can be helpful in narrowing down the options to try.