Night highs

Shazzle80

morning all :)

Just a quick question. Why, when I'm going to bed with bloody sugars between 6.8 and 7.8 have they risen to 13 the last few nights at about 2am!!

I'm confused!!

Any advice/ideas greatly appreciated

Xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A couple of possibilities, insufficient basal insulin or the effects of a high-fat meal earlier in the evening.

Shazzle80

Thank you. I'll monitor over the next few night and increase my basal as I need.

I didn't have anything particularly high fat and I also didn't eat for at least 2.5 hours before bed! xx

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you take a correction bolus at 2?

Did you have enough fat? Protein can raise bs later and more so if the quantity is large.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there !!
there are a few questions to help answer your question ?

what time of day do you take your long acting insulin ? do you take it once or twice a day ?

how long before bed are you eating your evening meal ( and bolusing for the same )

are you having a snack before bed >?

from what you have told us I would suspect the carbs taken at evening meal are having a late effect on your BG as your bolus dose is reaching its 4 hour usable timeframe, and all the carb has not been digested. ( possibly due to fat content )

Shazzle80

Thanks all.

I use Levemir twice a day, I take it 12 hours apart so 8:30 to 8:30. I have two small kiddies so evening meal is about 5:30, I am guilty of a snack at around 7/8 though!!

I'm cutting this out from today though until I feel more stable. Usually I just go a little lower carb when I have high episodes and it sorts me. I have to admit in the day it's all a-ok.

I've been correcting in the night and still waking up with 10mmol. I don't know what bothers me more, the high sugars or the getting up every few hours to wee!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @Shazzle80
thanks for the additional info .................

perhaps have a word with your DSN to see about adjusting your night time dose of levemir ?
do you bolus for the small snack at 7 / 8 pm ?

both getting up high ( 10 ) and having a wee would bother me it is a pain in the proverbial !!

keep working at it though -- I am sure you will get yourself sorted :)

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shazzle80 my solution and it took some nerve is that if I have BS of 5.0 before I sleep and two hours after supper I give myself another 2 or three units of fast acting and that sorts it on most occasions.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your readings in the morning? Still high? Then sounds like your basal needs adjusting.

I get dawn phenomenon that starts a rise after 6 am. IF I wake I take a small bolus and it stops the rise but if you're not on bolus insulin then taking a small dose during the night isn't an option. Maybe you could talk to your doc about raising your basal or starting you on a basal bolus regime. That might give you more flexibility.
When I first started insulin I was only on lantus. That didn't work so well so I went to basal bolus and much more control.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am guilty of a snack at around 7/8 though!!

I'm cutting this out from today though until I feel more stable.

See how you get on, I found cutting out snacks led to better all-round bg levels.

Just one other thing, if you don't succeed in getting your bg levels sorted in the night ask to change to another basal insulin, Tresiba seems to has some positive feedback by the members here and is said to last up to 42 hours (although it's still injected once a day).