Snack Cravings - Add to the list!...

HappyasLarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Pickled eggs - nicer than I thought they would be.
Tesco mixed nuts
Flax crackers (diabeticgoodbaking) with peanut butter/cream cheese/avocado/ mackerel or sardine pate
Ham wrap with Philadelphia and pickled gerkin
Lemon/lime sorbet made with xylitol and a splash vodka to soften slightly
Cheese cheese and more cheese
Dark choc truffles (easy to make and freeze well)
Coconut chips - new obsession but expensive
Kale crisps - bag of kale, remove stalks, spray with oil and add salt then bake 12 mins lowish oven.

Love this thread
love some of these ideas, going to try the kale crisps definitely - how do you make the choc truffles?

juliec44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you like Oppo ice-cream, you can make your own in an ice-cream maker. You can make whatever flavour you like, just use double cream, eggs, lactofree milk and xylitol to sweeten. Its ready in 20 minutes in my ice-cream maker and is delicious.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like scrambled egg sandwiches and a bag of walkers sour cream and onion pops for a snack depends on the time of day

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pork scratchings (I limit myself to a bag a day as they are expensive)
jelly and cream
I'm a pork scratchings monster, Try your local Asda I get Simmons Traditional Black Country Scratching 200g bag £1.60, the only problem is not troughing the whole lot in one go!!

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
pork scratchings (I limit myself to a bag a day as they are expensive)
jelly and cream
You can easily make your own - in Morrisons they sell the pork skin for crackling with hardly any fat at all on it, stick it on a rack over a fat controller on an oven tray and just cook when you have the oven on. I did a batch last night - you get 3 skins for about 60p (or less, quite often reduced in price as it isn't everyone's cup of tea). I leave the skin whole and snap it into pieces for Mr. Zig, who has it unsalted. The bought stuff usually has rusk and MSG in it :hungover:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a pork scratchings monster, Try your local Asda I get Simmons Traditional Black Country Scratching 200g bag £1.60, the only problem is not troughing the whole lot in one go!!
I cant eat most as I'm coeliac also - they have to be gluten free so no rusk either @welovedzig.

Reactions: welovedzig

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep mini babybel cheeses in the fridge, they're great to snack on x

dipsydo

Although expensive M&S have two pork snacks which the packets state are 0.1 carbs - crackling crisps contains just pork rind and salt and snacking crackling contains pork rind, salt and olive oil no rusk or MSG in either and I find a bit easier on the teeth than other pork rind snacks. As they are mostly pork the protein is high so need to be careful on how many I eat as I find them yummy.

The cheaper ones I eat are Tesco Mr porky prime cut scratching but they do have MSG and rusk and I find are a bit tougher on the teeth but as the protein content about 60% of the M&S ones I can eat a few more.

MRSROK

Here are some of the things I have been snacking on -

Cheese! Any kind because I love it! ;)
Tomatoes, Avocados, Carrots, Edamane
Soup
Eggs
Sugar Free Cookies, Sugar Free Chocolate or High Protein Low Carb Bars i.e. Atkins Bars
Dips on Low GI bread
Tuna
Coffee or Tea
Cold meats - turkey, ham and chicken, whatever is in the fridge....

Only been a week diagnosed so I'm loving all these ideas on here! Keep them coming!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hot chocolate drink... bear with me:

Use Green & Blacks Cocoa (not their hot chocolate, which is sugary); it’s expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Ignore the instructions on the tin.

Add one teaspoon to a mug, then add boiling water to 3/4 full. Stir thoroughly as it takes a while to melt. Top up with milk (or cream, possibly no-sugar hazelnut milk, but don’t use almond milk as I think it tastes weird in hot chocolate).

I reckon 2g carbs for the cocoa, 2.4 g for 50ml milk; total 4.4g - much better than Cadbury’s, no artificial sweeteners and a good “chocolate hit” on a cold day.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chorizo crisps - Wafer thin sliced chorizo, laid on a plate on top of kitchen roll, and microwave for about at minutes, then turn over. Give it bursts of 10 seconds until the crisps are,...... erm,............... crisp.

Please be careful when handling the chorizo when it has been in the microwave as the fat in it gets very hot.

According to my esteemed fellow member, @Brunneria , this technique works equally well with salami or any of the antipasti sausage style meats with a decent fat content.

Exceedingly yumm-tastic.

Should you want to try before making, M&S do a pack for £2.75. Most of the supermarkets have the appropriate thickness of the sausage for about £1 per 100gr.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
All very good ideas! I love eggs - but can be tricky if at work etc. Cheese is great - I currently have some love cheese with spring onions in and some with pickled onions in! ;)
How do people feel about various nuts? I love raw nuts but do endulge in the flavoured/salted/honey coated variety occasionally. Usually mix raw with the others to keep carb down
I usually think of nuts as very low carb, and they're my go-to snack when I don't want to raise my BS. I prefer roasted and salted and currently I love pecans (every night mixed with yogurt) and indulge in macadamian nuts. Of course, there's also Blue Diamond Wasabi almonds....yum!!!

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Avocado / guacamole of course. This just in from the avocado queen
With celery or a spoon. No chips haha.
Try this, then: avocado, milk and stevia in a blender.....nice and nutty flavor.

Reactions: Freema

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Snack Cravings - The majority of us get them and can be hard to ignore for some of us! I thought I'd start a thread detailing what I do/eat when these pesky cravings crop up. Hopefully we can build a list of tips to help others that need a bit of inspiration or are bored of their current routine.
It doesn't have to be the most super-duper healthy fix (so no judging/bullying please), it is just nice to share ideas with people and find what works for them!
So I'll start with a list and please add to it - especially if you have found recipes that are a star find...

Peanut Butter - I used to detest peanut butter but I must admit that I do like to keep a jar around now! I am quite enjoying a no added sugar variety that is crunchy to satisfy me when I am craving before meals. Just a small amount will keep me full until food is ready!

;)

Detest PNB???? LOL, I eat it at least every other day. Try it on slices of apple or with banana for extra nutrients.