Sanofi-Aventis withdraw some insulin pens

Dollyrocker

I've just seen this on the diabetes UK site, I'm currently using the OptipenPro but the replacements look alright to me. As long as there's a choice of colours I'm happy :D

Sanofi-aventis is reducing its range of insulin pens in December 2011 to the following two: SoloSTAR (pre-filled) and ClikSTAR (re-usable). The others, including Opticlik, Optiset, Optipen Pro 1, Autopen 24*, will be discontinued.

Although there is nothing wrong with the older pens, they are being discontinued following guidance from the National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA) on the reduction of insulin-related errors. Having fewer pens will reduce the possibility of mistakes happening.

People with diabetes who take insulin using one of the pens that will be discontinued can switch to using the available pens without changing their insulin as all the preparations will be available in the SoloSTAR and ClikSTAR devices. The needles recommended for use with the new pens are also unchanged from the older devices.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/New ... ulin-pens/

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
I can only hope that this is just a pre-cursor to the complete withdrawal of Lantus. :evil:
Jus

stabatha

I have read you have had an awful time on Lantus janabelle and many others too , but I had the same unpredictability with my bloods, often going too high for my meter to read then shooting really low within a very short period of time while using Levimer , as a result of this I had my driving licence revoked as I didn't have enough warning to treat the hypo in time Also I have spent the last year or so like a zombie too exusted to do anything much and sleeping for hours on end due to the bouncing BGs making me feel absolutly awful, I ended up with clinical depression as I was so sick of feeling sick and never had the energy to do what I wanted to do, I don't know if it was down to the Levimer or just diabetes itself with the uncontrolled BGs. I started off with Lantus when first diagnosed and had perfect control, while on it, at my highest which was extreamly rare I never went above 15 mmol , the only reason i came off the Lantus and onto 'Levimer was because I couldn't get on with the Lantus pens as they shot the insulin in so fast it hurt me, since going back on Lantus using the solostar pen my levels have become constant again and have improved dramaticly to a point where my DN has just given me the go ahead to try again for a baby which I am still undecided on at the moment as I miscarried my baby in May and I am too scared to try again at the moment, I blame the loss of my baby mainly on my bouncing blood glucose as I was up and down like a yoyo which couldn't have been good for my baby:( I just wish I had gone back on Lantus sooner, I supose what I am trying to get at here is that because Lantus gave you an awful time and didn't work for you doesn't mean it is the same for eveyone and should be banned . The Lantus is a godsend for me but like with any drug it won't suit eveyone just like Levimer didn't suit me, It's no reason to ban it all together but to make healthcare givers more aware of the problems some face so they can change their insulin sooner rather than dismissing peoples problems and leaving them to suffer unessesarily, at the moment it is working wonders for me and that might change in the future, who knows, but the priority for me is to use what works for me at this present time after all I got a long ole slog ahead, if I can manage to control it that is :)

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Stabatha,
Sorry,I was just letting off steam. I wasn't suggesting it be banned, but I sincerely hope Sanofi Aventis improve or replace the product; they must be aware of the problems many people have with it-the MHRA certainly are.
Your experience shows it's not just Lantus that's giving people side-effects, but analogue insulins do seem to cause more probs for patients than the previous available insulins. Although I'm aware that some people struggle to get satisfactory control on animal insulins, I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone suffering the kind of wierd side-effects on it, like the ones associated with analogues,eg the "zombie-like" tiredness you describe.
Totally agree with you about docs, they need to treat diabetic patients as individuals; not just put everyone on the same insulin treatment and hope for the best. Acknowledging problems and side-effects would be a start.
I'm so sorry for your recent loss, I hope you feel stronger and able to contemplate trying again, although I completely understand your fears. I miscarried a baby on my 25th birthday, but went on to have a second baby boy , then a 3rd a few years letter, both healthy. I never understood what impact a miscarriage could have, even at such an early stage of pregnancy as mine was. You have every reason to expect a good outcome, especially now your BGs are controlled, and I wish you the very best of luck.
Jus x

stabatha

Thanks janabelle :) I hope so too, after the year I just had I'm just thankful I got something that works again at last :) I could have actually kissed my DN for putting me back on Lantus :lol: , just couldn't bare using those autopen 24s though, they are quite barbaric and must admit was glad to see the back of them, so glad I got my solostar :). I can completely understand why you are angry though, as some of the health proffesionals are all to quick to fob you off, so the real anger shud be directed at some of them not necessariy at the product given to us , like you say we are all individual and all have different needs to what works for us and what doesn't, I have fallen out with my consultant big time over all this, as like I said in my previous posts on another thread, all he ever did was up my Levimer and I got the impression he really didn't give a stuff to what I was feeling, or that something obviousy wasn't working and needed changing, he just couldn't be bothered , after all he can go back to his normal, happy life and huge bank balance at the end of the day, why shud he care about us mere mortals :roll: , I am so hacked off with him I told the DN I never want to set eyes on him again,,after all, she had helped me and done more than he ever has, I can actually talk to her and she actually listens and does'n't make me feel like a stupid idiot like he did which means a lot to me . She said I will have to see him if I do try again fo ra baby and succeed but I will just refuse, I just want to slap him every time I think of him so for his own safety I am best kept away from him lol. Anyway I'm glad your finally off the Lantus as it was obviously didn't agree with you and that you are finally feeling much better and am sorry for your loss too :( but also it's good to hear you had your healthy children after , all I seem to read is the bad bits :shock: it's nice to know some do work out :D. It is a horrible thing to go through and like you said until it happens to you you can't understand the pain it causes, I supose at the moment I am still grieving and the time isn't right to try again but things may change, I am just taking each day as it comes, some are bad some are good but no doubt I will get there in the end :) xx