Morning testing

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Do you all test st the same time everyday? I don't see how that's possible when I'm at work I'll test at 5.30am but days I don't work I'll test whenever I get up.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before I get out of bed, preferably immediately after waking.
Then again before breakfast.
There is usually a significant difference between the two readings, so I think it is important to be consistent.

Usually this because I have a Libre before that it was wake up go for a **** and other bits and bobs then test before choosing a breakfast,

Reactions: Prem51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Most of you keep your testing stuff in the bedroom?

On the bedside cabinet, test before going to sleep and again upon waking, if I wake during the night I'll test too.

Do you all test st the same time everyday? I don't see how that's possible when I'm at work I'll test at 5.30am but days I don't work I'll test whenever I get up.

Some days will test more than others but always test before eating so that I get an accurate bolus dose delivered, but it would make no sense to test at 5.30am on non-work days @Sarah69 :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, and my testing stuff, insulin and hypo-stuff are where I am. So at bedside, in living room, in car, at work, on the table at friends' places or in my pockets.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Once awake, loo then wash hands, passing through the kitchen I pop the kettle on then test.
As I have very erratic sleep, my first test can be anytime e between 3am and 7am so there's always different readings.

Mike_Speakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find overnight is the most difficult time to control glucose levels. Any insulin injected before bed wears off in about 6 hours and my sugar can go very high, conversely too much insulin before bed can cause hypos. I always test first thing, it's an indicator of what I will need to inject at breakfast.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I get out of bed on waking go to bathroom wash my hands then back to bedroom and test.

This morning I then went down stairs and tested my supposed non diabetic daughter and found her fbg was far higher than mine at 7.9.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get out of bed on waking go to bathroom wash my hands then back to bedroom and test.

This morning I then went down stairs and tested my supposed non diabetic daughter and found her fbg was far higher than mine at 7.9.
Did she wash her hands?

paintylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get up, use the bathroom, get dressed then go downstairs. I test while the kettle is boiling, I don't fret too much because I still have high numbers first thing, so before breakfast is enough for me, and the times do vary depending on what time I went to bed and what I have to do that day.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get up - go to the bathroom - wash hands - go downstairs and test.
I have a Libre as well but I like to baseline it in the morning and they are typically quite close.
I have noticed, if I bash around the kitchen and make tea - let the cat in and dree - my BG has gone up about .3mmol according to Libre.

I agree with everyone who has said that as long as it is broadly the same routine that could work best.

davidjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football; anything by Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Whitney Houston, any X-Factor/BGT winner, groups like Girls Aloud etc. (you get the picture); misuse of 'your', 'you're', 'their', 'there', etc.; the use of 'of' as an auxiliary verb; Facebook and Twitter (just what the hell is all this 'hashtag' stuff?); 'celebrities'; I could go on but I'm beginning to sound grumpier than I really am.
I test before I get out of bed (usually about 7 am). One thing I see from the comments that most people don't wash their hands before testing but in the 3 years I've been testing (I'm T2) I've always wiped the finger I use with alcohol on cotton wool, although my surgery nurse usually uses nothing to wipe my finger. Am I being unnecessarily cautious and could wiping with alcohol affect the readings?

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of bed, loo, downstairs cup of tea,news for half an hour, upstairs wash hands then test.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I test before I get out of bed (usually about 7 am). One thing I see from the comments that most people don't wash their hands before testing but in the 3 years I've been testing (I'm T2) I've always wiped the finger I use with alcohol on cotton wool, although my surgery nurse usually uses nothing to wipe my finger. Am I being unnecessarily cautious and could wiping with alcohol affect the readings?

We are advised never to use alcohol wipes as the alcohol can distort readings. I would also be careful with cotton wool - bits of fibre may cause problems.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Thanks everyone for your replys. It's interesting to see when people test, although I don't understand why you don't keep your testing kit in one place. I keep my in the kitchen and I don't take it anywhere.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thanks everyone for your replys. It's interesting to see when people test, although I don't understand why you don't keep your testing kit in one place. I keep my in the kitchen and I don't take it anywhere.

Same here - unless I'm going out of the house for any length of time in which case it comes with me.