What do you eat for Breakfast?

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ardbeg said:
Most days it's Linzi's Granola for me. Tesco sells it for arounf £3.50 a packet.

And here's me thinking Tesco was a cheap supermarket - I can get Lizzi's Granola in the little health food shop in my local small town for £2.99. And it's absolutely lush! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A 40g bowl of all bran with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds together with a splash of milk and 3 tablespoons of low-fat natural yogurt, or a boiled egg with 2 slices of toasted burgen bread with marmite on............delicious! :D

Nigel

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
DazG said:
Thanks Sue and Ken for the info there!

Thanks to everyone else for your tips, I like to have a varied diet so will try out the Granola and yogurt type breakfasts.

Can I just ask, is wholemeal toast generally bad to have?

I have an occasional 1/2 piece - 10 g carb. Depending on your BG readings, 1 piece may be OK.

My standard b'fast is
2 d'spoons ground almonds
1 d'spoon oat bran
1 d'spoon wheat germ
1 d'spoon crushed seeds
about 200 ml soya milk
mix in a jug & m'wave for 2 mins
mix & m'wave for another min until it boils up
adjust consistency with more milk, cooked fruit, or fruit juice
That's about 10 g carb

You can add ground almonds to many recipes to thicken, rather than flour, & sprinkle it onto a little cereal to reduce the carb amount & increase the food value.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I'm a joghurt breakfaster :) I have a Total 2% Greek joghurt with cream on top 8) This joghurt contains 6.5g carbs and 3.4g fat. Add a little bit of both for the cream (not much as there is not much spare room in the pot!). For some it's a pretty small breakfast but that and several coffees (again with cream) is all I can face in the mornings. I am not starving by lunch-time however.

britness

I wish I could offer advice but I need advice! Breakfast is so difficult for me, I can't really face anything at all except a cup of tea - so when I was told diabetics NEED breakfast, I just panicked. I have to force myself to eat a few crackers or something just to get the first dose of Metformin down for the day, then I eat a leafy green salad at an early lunch, around 1130am, with raw veg and a protein, that is more "breakfast" because it's a more established meal but I can't face anything earlier in the morning.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm on day 3 of my giving up coffee pledge.

Instead I'm drinking hot water with either lime or lemon juice added.

As well as a detox it's supposed to aid weight loss too.

We shall see............

Sorry in case anyone thinks I'm going off topic. It's just that I used to drink two very strong coffees every morning before I could do anything.

Wullie

Switching from lo-sugar to lo-carb cereals. Sometimes I stay at places where boxed cereals are the only options. Bran Flakes, right?

I've been looking at healthy muselis - Dorset, for example. Guess those are a no-no?

Also partial to MullerLight yoghurts. But the sugar.. :?

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
catherinecherub said:
According to your profile you are not a diabetic. Could you clarify please.

Confusing yes, I'm pre-diabetic but the menu of choices does not include pre-diabetes. I've changed it to Type 2 but that is not right either.

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had loads of different breakfast cereals over the years. I tend to find most the granola cereal are full of sugars both in the oat clusters and various fruit (sultanas, raisins & banana) and cause my blood sugars to rise high. If I have higher blood sugars I stick to the light lower carb cereals. Quaker oat crisp, weetabix crunchy bran and rich crispies multigrain are good. If I'm a little lower in the morning or maybe I do more insulin, I have a higher carb cereal like shreddies or honey nut shredded wheat. I also like cereal for supper and sometimes have a small bowl of quaker oat crisp.

jane22

I have ditched cereal as I found it sent BG a bit high and didn't really keep me full. I usually have some kind of egg, just the one either scrambled, poached, boiled or as an omette with a grilled tomato. I have one slice of bread with it either Burgen or an oatmeal bread. I have gone off regular tea and coffee so have ginger and lemon tea and a large glass of water. I take Byetta and sometimes feel a bit sick and then the egg sits too heavily so then I have low fat plain yogurt with some berries. Raspberries are my favourites but I have a load of blackberries ripening in the garden so will be trying those soon.

dardaydave

My breakfast during the working day is a cup of coffee. When i feel hungry ( anytime between 11.00am and 15.00pm) i'll have something to eat. Yes, my wife nags me about " you should eat more regularly" but i'm not a three or four meals a day person.

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
During the week its 3 baby bels and 1 oatcake - all while sitting in traffic queues
Weekend, bacon and eggs

ArumLily

Every morning for the last 6 months I have eaten for breakfast the following meal:
* 1 cupful of Alpen
* half a cupful of Quaker rolled oats
* half a cupful of FORCE wheatflakes, OR if cannot get Force, then one Weetabix
* All mixed together in a cereal bowl, with about half a pint of semi-skimmed milk
* Topped with a dessertspoonful of SPLENDA
* Cup of tea immediately after this.
Invariably, when I test my blood sugar 2 and a quarter hours after this breakfast, it is 5.3.
I really enjoy this breakfast, and it is more than I used to eat in 2009 before I was diagnosed with Type 2.
* I do not take any diabetes medicine but I do take one capsule of Gymnema Sylvestre and one capsule of COQ10-Uniquinol every day with my breakfast cup of tea.
First HBA1C was 6.9. Latest was 6.4. I am hoping to get this down to 6 or under next time.

Juli

Like a lot of other people here, if not hungry it'll be three or four mugs of cafe with cream. Otherwise I'll have a cheese muffin. Here's the recipe, I found it on a now defunct low carb Oz site:
Mix together:
half cup soy flour
3 eggs
salt
3 tbsp cream
3 tbsp sour cream
handful grated cheese
chop up some salami - three or four circles
Place in muffin tray and cook at 200 celsius for about 20 minutes.

Makes about 12.

Carb content between 3 and 6g per muffin.
They are very yummy!

Juli

Forgot to add 2tsp baking powder to above cheese muffin recipe. Just made another batch and realised!
Sorry if anyone's made them already and they went flat...