Depression

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've got depression and anxiety also have type 1 diabetes along with 10more autoimmune disease. People told me to come on here and see how other people are coping and if they can help me as I haven't really spoken to anyone else with type 1 diabetes. I've had it coming up to two years and I'm still getting really upset about it. Do four injections a day at night time I think yay it's done then I think oh wait a minute I have four more to do in the morning it's really getting me down I see no future just me stabbing myself over and over again

kimee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there. I know how you feel. I get severe depression and have various other issues alongside t1d. I've had diabetes 15 years now. It definitely gets easier to cope over time, but of course it never goes away, so it's about coming to terms with it and everything it affects, which is hard but worth it if you can. I still have down times regarding t1d but it's much better than it was. One thing that has helped me hugely has been getting an insulin pump. It has freed me from having to do injections and helps me to forget about the D at times. Maybe enquire into what having one would entail with your consultant?

As a general survival mechanism, to get through each day I use a distraction technique. I make sure my mind, and preferably my body too, is occupied in some way at all times. Even if that means watching the telly - whatever works for each person. While it sounds like an avoidance technique (and it is, for some), for me it helps me to get through each day without stressing over things that cannot change, for example my diabetes!

Nemeth32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey elouisexxx . I stumbled on this site and your post by accident and after reading it couldn't help but make an account to reply. I first got type 1 diabetes when I was 9 years old. I've also suffered depression and anxiety most of my life related, only partly to my diabetes. I guess I was fortunate in getting it so early as now (at the age of 25) I can barely remember what living without it is like. I just wanted to say that Kimee is partly right and also very wrong. I could not recommend getting an insulin pump more. It makes your insulin dose so much less of an "event" and after a while it just becomes part of your routine. It allows you so much more flexibility and freedom with your life managing your bolus and basal rate with the flick of a button. Speaking to both of you now (Hey Kimee) distraction and avoidance is not going to help you cope in the long run. You cannot change that you have diabetes, all that has to change is the way you look at it. The first few years are definitely the toughest but talk to professionals and take in as much information as you can. After 5 years of strict dieting, monitoring of my blood sugar levels and letting the disease restrict me, I started to find the freedom between the lines of feeling liberated and "normal" and putting my health at risk. It might take you and your consultants a while to figure out which insulin brand works best for your body, the way things like weather and stress effect your diabetes and the dietary necessities for good control. As someone who got the disease very young I also found out just how much I could let my control slip and push my body (although I'm not advocating it, eventually as humans most diabetics do). The point is once you have that grasp of your disease (each persons diabetes is different) you don't live around it or avoid it, it simply becomes part of your life and fades into the background. Sure I still get down from time to time (mostly very little to do with diabetes these days) and get frustrated if there's a dodgy cannula or I get hi or low when I'm in the middle of doing something. But that's just it, to me now it's just an irritation - like stubbing your toe or the train being delayed: "*** my bs is high, if I've got ketones i'm gonna flip" "pump needs a new battery, gotta get back to the flat". Now at 25, I've lived a reasonably full life so far, I've worked a zillion jobs, taken various substances, drank myself into blackouts and eaten a load of unhealthy **** over the years and yet I sit here with no complications to date because although my blood sugar has been way out of control at times, my overall control has never slipped into that red traffic light (dknow if you have that at your hospital). It's not ideal but its not cancer or m/s. Stay strong, stubborn and try to keep your perspective. You've already done the right thing by reaching out, keep talking to people close to you and talk to your consultant next chance you get about an insulin pump.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hey elouisexxx . I stumbled on this site and your post by accident and after reading it couldn't help but make an account to reply. I first got type 1 diabetes when I was 9 years old. I've also suffered depression and anxiety most of my life related, only partly to my diabetes. I guess I was fortunate in getting it so early as now (at the age of 25) I can barely remember what living without it is like. I just wanted to say that Kimee is partly right and also very wrong. I could not recommend getting an insulin pump more. It makes your insulin dose so much less of an "event" and after a while it just becomes part of your routine. It allows you so much more flexibility and freedom with your life managing your bolus and basal rate with the flick of a button. Speaking to both of you now (Hey Kimee) distraction and avoidance is not going to help you cope in the long run. You cannot change that you have diabetes, all that has to change is the way you look at it. The first few years are definitely the toughest but talk to professionals and take in as much information as you can. After 5 years of strict dieting, monitoring of my blood sugar levels and letting the disease restrict me, I started to find the freedom between the lines of feeling liberated and "normal" and putting my health at risk. It might take you and your consultants a while to figure out which insulin brand works best for your body, the way things like weather and stress effect your diabetes and the dietary necessities for good control. As someone who got the disease very young I also found out just how much I could let my control slip and push my body (although I'm not advocating it, eventually as humans most diabetics do). The point is once you have that grasp of your disease (each persons diabetes is different) you don't live around it or avoid it, it simply becomes part of your life and fades into the background. Sure I still get down from time to time (mostly very little to do with diabetes these days) and get frustrated if there's a dodgy cannula or I get hi or low when I'm in the middle of doing something. But that's just it, to me now it's just an irritation - like stubbing your toe or the train being delayed: "*** my bs is high, if I've got ketones i'm gonna flip" "pump needs a new battery, gotta get back to the flat". Now at 25, I've lived a reasonably full life so far, I've worked a zillion jobs, taken various substances, drank myself into blackouts and eaten a load of unhealthy **** over the years and yet I sit here with no complications to date because although my blood sugar has been way out of control at times, my overall control has never slipped into that red traffic light (dknow if you have that at your hospital). It's not ideal but its not cancer or m/s. Stay strong, stubborn and try to keep your perspective. You've already done the right thing by reaching out, keep talking to people close to you and talk to your consultant next chance you get about an insulin pump.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nemeth32..You sound as if you have been living in the fast lane at times. Maybe as you say "Nothing has happened to me yet" is because you are only 25 years old. Keep living in the fast lane and maybe something will happen. I hope that you have calmed down in living in the fast lane ; ) Not everybody is the same, some people do get depressed, they even may have something else going on. Some people can even cope better than others. You say that you have suffered from Anxiety and Depression? Well, not all depression is the same. Depression can manifest itself in many different ways in many different people. I don't think that there is a right or wrong in what Kimee said to be honest. Everybody's own experience is different. People here are trying to live their lives as best as they can. I am very new here and am so grateful to these people. I have had excellent advice, lost weight and my Blood Glucose sugar is down. If I had not had joined this site my sugar would have still been high. I am not diabetic but pre diabetic,so when somebody is depressed, just give them a lending ear and a hug x

Reactions: Prem51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi I've got depression and anxiety also have type 1 diabetes along with 10more autoimmune disease. People told me to come on here and see how other people are coping and if they can help me as I haven't really spoken to anyone else with type 1 diabetes. I've had it coming up to two years and I'm still getting really upset about it. Do four injections a day at night time I think yay it's done then I think oh wait a minute I have four more to do in the morning it's really getting me down I see no future just me stabbing myself over and over again
Massive hug for you xxxx

Nemeth32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Derry60, I think you need to read what I wrote properly rather than jump to conclusions or try to be a white knight of some sort. "Keep living in the fast lane and see what happens ;) " The arrogance in that statement alone made me chuckle. You notice how I specifically talked in the past tense when talking about drinking etc. As I said I've had type 1 diabetes, depression and anxiety almsot my entire life so please don't try to talk down as though you know better than me what that is like. Like I actually said in my comment, I'm not advocating going off the rails, the whole point of that part of the comment was to show that diabetes does not have to severely restrict your life and experiences in case that feeling is contributing to the depression elouisexxx is having because as you say, people suffer from different sorts of depression related to different factors. With that being said however, living in denial or ignoring depression or indeed any mental or physical condition is not going to help you to get better or live with it, full stop. I would much rather give sound, friendly advice based on my experiences than say "hey whatever you do that's ok" to sound nice. I wasn't trying to put Kimee down or belittle him/her by disagreeing, I was trying to offer something more useful than sympathy or pity and I think that's clear if you actually read what I wrote. Now that's all off my chest, I'm very happy to hear that you're losing weight and getting those blood sugar levels under control! Congrats man! (Or miss, hard to tell from usernames lol) keep at it!!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nemeth32 I am sorry if I have upset you. I am no White Knight I can assure you. I also have suffered deep depression all of my life, and yes I know what it is like. Your post did come across as "Look at me I have lived in the fast lane and I am fine" When people here are trying their best to do things right. If you noticed when I said on the lines of "I hope that you are not living now in the fast lane" I put a wink sign, so it was meant tongue in cheek. I never insinuated that you were belittling Kimee, not in the least.When you said that Kimee was partly right and so very wrong..I said that I did not think that she was wrong. Just my opionion. Anyway nothing bad was meant by my post. Thank you,yes I have lost weight,hoping that I can lose some more,nearly at my target weight which is good.

Nemeth32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
derry60, no upset caused, was just irritated by what I perceived as your tone in that comment. We can chalk it up to me getting the wrong end of the stick as you did with mine. I still stand by saying that avoidance and distraction is not the way to go. I think its less opinion and more based on experience and logic tbh, when someone says that and someone like ellixxx reads it I think it's important to draw the line and point out that eventually. regardless of when the time comes, you are going to have to deal with whatever conditions you have. But sack it, we can agree to disagree!, right? No harm done. Best of luck with reaching that target weight and whatever the next step is following that. Even without the health benefits, imagine the sense of accomplishment you'll feel when you get there! If your case is one where you have the opportunity to reverse your diabetes and leave even the pills then I wish you the best on your way.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Agree. Sometimes writing can come across in a different way. I have been told that I can be abrupt at times, but really meaning no harm. I must work on that lol. I think that sometimes we can think that we have a finger pointing down on us and get a little fed up at times or drive us into a depression. I started off with having a Heart Attack, actually dropped dead on the floor but luckily enough ambulance crew was already at my house after me calling them because of feeling unwell. Apparently, I stopped breathing in the chair, the ambulance man apparently lifted me up to give me that Zapper thing and as he lifted me up, my silk T-shirt slipped through his hands and he ended up dropping me and was left with my T shirt in his hands. I can actually see the funny side of it though, but that injured the bottom of my spine..Then a couple of months after I developed Fibromyalgia, then got secondary arthritis. I fell into a black taxi (Not drunk lol) and torn a ligament in my knee, had that fixed then busted the other one. Then I got Campylobacter and was in hospital for nearly a week. I was on a drip for 4 days, nearly died. Then I found out that I had a Thyroid condition, then tinitus, then vertigo, oh and to top it all a prolapse...Now I find out that I am pre-diabetic. If you are not laughing by now I certainly am. It is a standing joke in my family now. When my new doctor read my notes, he looked up and said "Is this for real" ha ha ha ha He said "I hope that you have insured LOL Oh well it never rains but it pours.

Nemeth32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, just wow. Reading your post, each chuckle was followed by a gasp and a "jesus christ". The chuckles then got more out of shere empathy than any actual humour. It's odd how when a lot of **** constantly happens to you, you end up laughing isn't it? I know exactly what you mean. I haven't had half the bad luck you have in terms of physical stuff but I've had my fair share. I cringe every time I see a virtual "hug" if I'm hoenst but you can have three right off the bat from me. You must be a very strong person after everything the universe has thrown at you. I dknow what else to say, I'm not good with giving sympathy because I hate receiving it. A song that resonates with me with my bad luck in mind is Soundgarden: Blow up the outside world. I think you'll like it too with your lot in life so far. "nothing, seems to kill me"

kimee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How lovely for someone to stand up for me on a forum

You know, I think that, while I debate being told outright that I am wrong (we all have different coping methods - mine are not wrong, just different from yours), I think Nemeth32 has answered the original post with more useful ideas than I did. It is true that you need to come to terms with it, work through it with your consultant and so on. There are many ways that you can find to cope better with diabetes - it is still early days! Keep your chin up elouisexxx!

To the others - the reason I wrote what I did was to provide an immediate, useable coping method, in case it was needed. I don't condone ever burying your issues or pretending they're not there. The thing with me is that I have spent many, many years in therapies, seeing doctors, in hospital and a 'safe house,' talking and talking and TALKING... and in the end, nothing has really helped and I just can't talk about the issues any more when nothing changes about my mental state. Talking about the problems has made me worse, not better! Practical solutions have helped at times but generally people don't have any solutions what things I struggle with. But I'm a bad case; my depression is very severe. Lots of people do benefit from therapies including talking therapies, and/or medication. So of late (past 2 ish years) I have used the method of distraction to get through life and help me do more things I love which in turn makes me better mentally. I still need to at times talk to someone to get things off my chest, but for me it has helped to get a glimmer of light back in my life. For a start, I'm working again! (With some trial and error.) I guess you could say I'm a depressive who is affected by diabetes rather than the other way round!

leahkian

There are no right and wrong was to cope with depression it is a case of whatever works for you. We are all different people and as the first diabetic doctor told me there are no two diabetics the same. We can all write what has happened to us over the years and see what we have all gone through but the thing is we all have different thoughts on how to cope, i have even had arguments with the diabetic doctors. There is a clear link between diabetes and depression which is normal as life with diabetes has so many ups and downs. It is good we have this forum to air our views, when i got it in 1979 aged 3 there was nothing like this then