What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: Small bowl of bran flakes with strawberries & skimmed milk, 2 boiled eggs
L: Leftover chilli, berries & mullerlight greek yogurt
T: A 3 egg omelette with courgette, new potato, olives, cherry toms, ham & cheese
Tea & coffee during the day

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you use the aminos for the wings?
No - just some coconut oil. I had no idea what coconut amino were. I know I could have googled but after cleaning the range I couldn't be bothered to be honest. If anyone knows what they are I'd love to know?
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/sweet-and-sticky-chicken-wings
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/chia-pudding

Here's the recipe links. 2 portions of the Chia Pudding is a tin of unsweetened coconut milk (the thicker stuff), 4 tablespoons of chia seeds, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - put in a glass bowl , mix , cover and put in fridge overnight. So easy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Sent from my SM-T713 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Chook and ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is that just canned coconut milk?
It is indeed. I used a can of Sainsbury's coconut milk. To be honest I reckon it is more like 3 portions, maybe even 4. It is incredibly creamy but boy is it good. Really , really good. I had it a hour ago and I still have the taste in my mouth. Diet Doctor says you can have some cream with it - seriously? You would have to be a major cream lover to have cream with it. Great with a few berries though.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: Small bowl of bran flakes with strawberries & skimmed milk, 2 boiled eggs
L: Leftover chilli, berries & mullerlight greek yogurt
T: A 3 egg omelette with courgette, new potato, olives, cherry toms, ham & cheese
Tea & coffee during the day
Can't believe I'm saying this but I miss bran flakes. I even miss All Bran. Must try it again one day to see if it still puts me into double digits.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is indeed. I used a can of Sainsbury's coconut milk. To be honest I reckon it is more like 3 portions, maybe even 4. It is incredibly creamy but boy is it good. Really , really good. I had it a hour ago and I still have the taste in my mouth. Diet Doctor says you can have some cream with it - seriously? You would have to be a major cream lover to have cream with it. Great with a few berries though.

Thanks :). It sounds good, have just put seeds & coconut milk on next Tesco order .

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Two cups of double decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol.

Late lunch: A low-carb role with mayonnaise and smoked salmon, 100g of hummus with olive oil and a small piece of home-made low carb flat bread.

Afternoon snack: A handful of almonds and a slice of cheddar cheese.

Dinner: Not sure yet. I have just opened a bottle of cava with only 0.7g of carbs per liter. I was afraid it would be too dry, but it is actually good.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention three squares of 85% chocolate that I had as a snack.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Cooked a small chook in the microwave yesterday for some cold meat, twenty minutes on high and it cooked without drying out.

Just what some of the members here that are wanting to cook a meal with out disrupting their busy lifestyles much. :D

9S2F0Jt.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK I now know what coconut aminos are and I probably would have been better using Tamari Soy. I see there is also a coconut Teriyaki. Will order some and do the wings again.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Tuesday:

Breakfast: Lidl roll toasted cheese with a few (naughty!) baked beans

Lunch: Sweet omelette with a few raspberries

Dinner: Steak and cheesey cauliflower mash (which actually IS better than potatoes) - recipe here -->
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower.html

Evening: Unsweetened almond milk milkshake made with Crusha No Added Sugar Banana Milkshake Mix - very nice but pushed my BG up to 7.8 before bed :banghead:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday:

Breakfast: Lidl roll toasted cheese with a few (naughty!) baked beans

Lunch: Sweet omelette with a few raspberries

Dinner: Steak and cheesey cauliflower mash (which actually IS better than potatoes) - recipe here -->
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower.html

Evening: Unsweetened almond milk milkshake made with Crusha No Added Sugar Banana Milkshake Mix - very nice but pushed my BG up to 7.8 before bed :banghead:
That recipe is sooo good. I know it off by heart now I have made it so often. I was thinking about All Bran and toast with beans so much I could almost taste it so I've had more of that wonderful Chia Pudding with blueberries for breakfast.
Definitely more than 2 portions in the combinations I gave yesterday. It is so creamy and so delicious.

Reactions: ziggy_w and mo53

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That recipe is sooo good. I know it off by heart now I have made it so often. I was thinking about All Bran and toast with beans so much I could almost taste it so I've had more of that wonderful Chia Pudding with blueberries for breakfast.
Definitely more than 2 portions in the combinations I gave yesterday. It is so creamy and so delicious.

I like chia but it doesn't like me - it has a very laxative effect on my tummy. Back when I was working I would have to work one 12.5 hour weekend day every week starting at 7.30am - so an easily breakfast was vital. I would prepare the chia pudding the day before and I always had an upset tummy with it by the afternoon that I'd eaten it. Not so good if you are working in an environment when you can't easily get to a loo quickly. :eek::eek:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cooked a small chook in the microwave yesterday for some cold meat, twenty minutes on high and it cooked without drying out.

Just what some of the members here that are wanting to cook a meal with out disrupting their busy lifestyles much. :D

9S2F0Jt.jpg

Interesting!!! I've never cooked a whole chicken in the microwave before - I didn't think it would turn out very nice but yours has turned out looking very nice. As you say, useful for someone who hasn't got much time to play in the kitchen.

Reactions: Freema

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed on 5.3 FBG 6.6 and pre breakfast 6.8. Instant Pot getting another outing but it is to make chilli con carne for brother and Hubby since Hubby had that look of "I really don't fancy what you are planning on having"
B. Yet another portion of that wonderful Diet Doctor Chia Pudding with a few blueberries. Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream
L. Marigold Swiss bouillon and 1/2 Lidl high protein roll with lurpack and pate
D. Diet Doctor Sesame salmon with Thai curry cabbage and lime mayonnaise.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/sesame-salmon-thai-curry-cabbage-lime-mayo

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Struggling with a cold and aching muscles the past couple of days (first cold in over 3 years), but so far no big impact on my blood sugar levels. Let's hope that continues.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - none. Usually no-one at work knows if I'm fasting as I just say I'm going for lunch, head out for a walk and come back half an hour later. Today I went out with a colleague to run a couple of errands. On the way back she popped into Tesco and then we sat in the kitchen in the office, where it was noticed I wasn't eating. Ended up with me giving an explanation about insulin resistance to about 5 people!

Dinner - finally tried the Oomi noodles with a carbonara sauce, followed by 2 squares of Lindt 90%. Noodles tasted good and were more filling than expected as the portion looks quite small. Need to tweak the sauce - added too much salt. Awaiting the 2 hour test to assess impact on blood sugar.

Updated: 1.5 mmol rise after 2 hours (was 0.9 after 1 hour). Started at 4.5 so up to 6. I try to stay under 6 at all times so looks like the noodles are an occasional dish rather than a staple.

Last edited: