Are you the only Diabetic

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was the first officially diagnosed, though I'm pretty sure my mother was undiagnosed. She had many symptoms of metabolic syndrome. The only other person I know of is a younger first cousin who was diagnosed after me.

MrsGriffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am the only one in my blood family, yes, but my stepfather is Type 2, as is my husband.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
One nephew is type1
My uncles wife is type2

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My mother had T2. I am the only one of five siblings who has it. I don't know about the more extended family as they are all over the world and not really in contact much.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My aunt on my mums side is type 1 and is having terrible time
My uncle on my dads side was type 1, he lost half his leg through it
Poor sole is no longer with us due to heart problems

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I know? Just me.. & my dad diagnosed T2 in his mid 60's? (No longer with us.)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
My sister and I are type 1 diagnosed aged 3 and 6 respectively.
My dad developed type2 but turned it round.
I have an aunt and 3 cousins with type 2.

Tony

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No my dad, all my dad's siblings were, my maternal grandmother and a couple of aunts. All T2 my extended family are massive so probably a lot more - if I tell you we always have 4 generations alive in my extended family and for a good few years my eldest aunt was head of a 5 generation family you can see how many of us there are lol

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My parents, uncles, grandparents and brother are all type 2!

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only me in my blood family.My daughter-in-laws sister was diagnosed type 1 in her early teens.I am not what my DN calls a typical shape for a diabetic,her words.I was just slightly overweight,always been active.On both maternal and paternal side with my father, my aunts died of serious heart problems/stroke.I suppose there could have been undiagnosed diabetes 2 there and they all had weight issues.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, I'm the only one - BUT (and this is a big 'but') most of my family on my Mum's side have died young - both parents, all my Mum's siblings and my grand parents and my grand parents siblings. Mostly heart related but I remember my Uncle Bill being literally skin and bone - but they all avoided going to the doctors because, in their young days, it cost money.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Father and uncle. (uncle diagnosed, father with blood glucose in the mid teens when tested on home meter, refusing to go to doc for diagnosis)
Paternal grandfather who displayed a lot of T2 symptoms, including occasional hypos (doc told him to suck sweets while playing golf), losing consciousness (aka 'sleeping') after big meals, horrendously erratic driving, brain fog, irritability - all related to food and times around food. Also triple heart bypass. No official diagnosis.
Paternal great grandfather, ditto. Also no diagnosis.

On mother's side, several great aunts who seemed to moderate food intake and blood glucose levels using regular doses of sherry ;)
Grandmother - Coeliac, with blood glucose issues
Mother - highly gluten and grain intolerant, with blood glucose fluctuations controlled by restricted diet

Last edited:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maternal Uncle who is T1, Paternal Uncle who is T2