Are you the only Diabetic

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Father and Paternal Grandmother both T2 (both deceased). I am five months diagnosed and determined to break this chain!!

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Only one but mum's family suffer badly with arthritis. I don't. My dad's mum died early with heart problems.
No strokes in our history or diabetes.
Kidney failure in both grandgarents on mum's side was cause of deaths.
Dad's father and grandfather died from the effects of depression. :(
Both were nurses and saw too much.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In those alive now, just me. My maternal grandmother type 2 in her final few years, and one of her nieces type 1 from childhood.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
genes or fat git, which is it.
for me neither I'm drug induced.

Though I have an aunt who is T2 she is the only one in my side of the family. My wife's brother and two of her cousins are T1, Both my grandson's other grand parents are T2 and his other grand father's parents were or are both T1.

Forgot to add d my brother in laws's son has CF and I think he may have CF diabetes another of my wife's cousins also had CF but he died at 22 years of age because of it and don't know if he had diabetes or not.

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was the first in my family that my parents knew of , my aunt was diagnosed with type 2 some years later but nobody else has diabetes...............thankfully.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both parents had diabetes. On my father's side are a lot of diabetics, grandmother and all her siblings, all dad's siblings, most of my cousins. I don't doubt that genetics play an important part in type two diabetes.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Where do I start!
Type 2:
Grandmothers on both sides.
Father and one of his brothers. That brother had 5 children and 2 children T2 and 1 T1
Brother T2 ( very sporty and not an ounce over weight) who refused to go to Dr as he was ''fine. I was tested during a medical at work and got the all clear'' - total lie he didn't get a work medical. Died from complications of gangrene in foot and after having leg removed got MRSA. He'd also had kidney failure and couldn't get the portable dialysis to the ward because of the MRSA (was put on dialysis when diagnosed 4 yrs roughly before). Also had glaucoma so went blind at the same time as diagnosed.
Twin sister T2 diagnosed a few years before me.
Maternal aunt and uncle were both 2's. Maternal cousins 3 x T2 and 1 x T1
Could be more now, but I don't have any contact with my cousins. Lost touch 40 yrs ago when I moved from Essex to Scotland.
My diabetes nurse told me I'd no chance of missing T2 with family history.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
for me neither I'm drug induced.

Though I have an aunt who is T2 she is the only one in my side of the family. My wife's brother and two of her cousins are T1, Both my grandson's other grand parents are T2 and his other grand father's parents were or are both T1.

Forgot to add d my brother in laws's son has CF and I think he may have CF diabetes another of my wife's cousins also had CF but he died at 22 years of age because of it and don't know if he had diabetes or not.
I had a friend who had alcohol induced Diabetes T1

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes. With full blown T2D at any rate. I had to apologise to all my siblings (there are a few) because now they have to front up to their GPs that a close family member has T2D. And be watched I guess (which is all good).

I do have close family members who have had prediabetes. My own mother, in her late 70s, now has an HBA1c of 37 (down from 42) so all good. (She treated with exercise only - the woman is an amazon.) A sister who was borderline prediabetes (I guess at 39 or 40?), but got out of the pre-danger zone. A first cousin - she told me her doctor gave her the all-clear about six months ago. So HBA1c now also in the green zone.

Yes, I am very happy for them, but feel lonely in the whanau!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a nephew who is diabetic (type 2) but I am suspicious since his family seem to get diagnosed with anything that gives free prescriptions or blue passes and stuff. I don't subscribe to the blood relative theory. If the popular opinion is that we brought it on ourselves by stuffing our faces and becoming fat gits then where do genes fit into that scenario? It's make your mind up time. genes or fat git, which is it.
Why can't it be both? Genetic predisposition + "fat git" = T2 in some people. Otherwise everyone who is overweight would have it.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the only T2 currently and have been diagnosed for just over a year, but, my Mum was T2 (now deceased) and I have suspicions about my late father's metabolic health too, because he always used to say that if he went more than a few hours without eating he felt faint.

My brother and sister are both overweight with a big tummy so they may also be heading the way of T2. We have all struggled with weight since our late teens/early twenties. (sister's husband is T2, diagnosed some years before me but he follows the ' NHS pills are handling it' route :( ).

My own thoughts on the genetic vs food argument is that it's both for T2's.

Genetics comes first I think with the type and number of our genetic markers giving us a predisposition to be carb. intolerant at varying levels, so we spend longer or shorter times developing metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance and getting to diagnosis.

Diet plays in after that, and the 'eat carbs not fat' guidelines of the recent years are triggering massive upswings in problems.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dad had T2 (now dead).
Both hubby (Sept 2016) & I (March 2017) have been diagnosed so our 2 kids have been warned. I have asked my daughter (who is 30) especially to request a test when she next sees the doc/nurse as she is overweight and has PCOS.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No Dad diagnosed type 1.5 age 22, paternal grandmother diagnosed T1 after my Dad.

Although all the women in my maternal side struggle with their weight, heart and strokes none have been diagnosed with diabetes.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No Dad diagnosed type 1.5 age 22, paternal grandmother diagnosed T1 after my Dad.

Although all the women in my maternal side struggle with their weight, heart and strokes none have been diagnosed with diabetes.
My dads mother and 3 of his sisters had weight issues and heart and stroke - non diabetic.